U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 03:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,391,418 times

Advertisements

Oh crap.

I have the Cleopatra thing going on (when I straighten my hair) and it rocks. I'm nearly 50.

It literally takes about 20 years off me when I have a heavy straight fringe. But then I have a small featured face, sort of. It looks much, much better when appropriately framed.

Btw I spent most of my childhood wondering what "bangs" were when I read American books...v mysterious in the days before the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 03:41 PM

41,249 posts, read 32,917,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I get a bang out of you going on about yourself ad nauseum.
So glad I could oblige.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:44 PM

41,249 posts, read 32,917,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Oh great, I just love personal attacks and distortions. As if I ever said men talk about bangs. It's the almost complete absence of praise for the attractiveness of women who have bangs that tells me my original claim is almost surely true.
Ahhh, now I get it. You don't like bangs, so you hear validation for your choice all the time. Sort of like when you buy a car - suddenly you see people all over the place in the same car, as if suddenly everyone reached the same conclusion you reached. The reality is that we tend to notice things that validate our POV and dismiss things that don't. Human nature.

For instance, if I was going on strictly my own personal experience, I'd say that most people like short, spiky hair WITH bangs. However, I'm objective enough to realize the error of that way of thinking.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:49 PM

2,656 posts, read 2,131,890 times
I think bangs can have a nice anti-aging effect, but I don't know if that makes much of a difference with men (not presuming it's about attracting anyone). The "small featured face" comment is onto something. With bigger features, the total effect can be too androgynous, but "heavy" bangs (thanks for the precise term) can overshadow small features. As in my previous reference to mops. By the way, Zooey has big blue eyes.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:30 PM

11,165 posts, read 6,646,350 times
Quote:
But most people will envision her for the mediocrity she long has been. Sexually invisible to nearly all men, and part of that is the hairstyle. A woman with a mediocre face and body who wants to attract men should pick a hairstyle that men like.
Still wondering what type of hairstyle you have that allows you to be so judgmental of others....

Old 10-02-2013, 05:21 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,774,012 times
Quote:
I've been thinking about this for about two months. Bangs don't look good. On men, they look stupid, most people would agree. On women, sometimes they look okay but never good and too often bad.

Bangs seem to be a trend on women, maybe a hipsterish trend. I struggle to understand. Is it about hiding something negative about the forehead? Is it an ease of care thing?

When bangs reach the eyebrows, that is just wrong probably all the time. Also, I think bangs are more tolerable with blonde hair, because they blend with the skin and don't get much attention. But I can't think of anyone whose most attractive hairstyle would be bangs. Do any men think bangs look great on women?
Phhhttt.
I've worn eyebrow-length bangs most of my life (I am female, I agree they almost always look dorky on men.)
I have a somewhat long face and high forehead and quite frankly, I look cutest with bangs and not so cute without.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:47 PM

If bangs rated well with men, they would be common in beauty pageants (assuming there aren't other factors that keep them out). Simple as that. So, no, bias isn't a big issue here. I'm human, I have judgments and biases - I think my view of bangs is normal, albeit negatively skewed. Probably I've had too much exposure to heavy bangs on people who aren't fertile to find them attractive on women. Including likely extended exposure to heavy bangs on dark-haired menopausal women. Plus, I'm picky in general (inside and out).

Men like more muscle on themselves than women like to see on men. Maybe it's similar with women's bangs. What's the big deal?

I don't know if people have heard of male-model experiments. If not, look up that eye-opening stuff. If someone could do a similar experiment using a 20- or 30-something woman with brown hair and a cute (but not Hollywood-pretty), normal-weight face, first pictured with heavy bangs and then without, and report the results (the number of messages received and the attractiveness of the authors); that could help settle the issue. (Preferably by an actual online dater using her own pictures, not fakery.)

Last edited by goodheathen; 10-02-2013 at 08:24 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
If bangs rated well with men, they would be common in beauty pageants (assuming there aren't other factors that keep them out).
I didn't realize beauty pageants were aimed at men. Men watch those? Interesting...

Quote:
Probably I've had too much exposure to heavy bangs on people who aren't fertile to find them attractive on women.
Wow, you can tell someone's fertility based on their hairstyle?! With that kind of talent how are you not traveling the country with a carnival?

Quote:
Men like more muscle on themselves than women like to see on men. Maybe it's similar with women's bangs. What's the big deal?
Except I don't see any women making threads about men with muscles being "sexually invisible"

Or saying that they were only told their muscles are attractive by lonely friends and personal trainers

Or trying to convince men that they should change their bodies because its only important to look pleasing to women.

And so on and so on....

Old 10-02-2013, 10:39 PM

(It deserves two.)

"Fertile" means nearly any pre-menopausal woman. Though hair itself is vaguely a fertility cue.

Changing a hairstyle in the way I'm suggesting is easy. Maybe extremely easy, as in only brushing differently.

Also, even pretending that beauty pageants aren't watched and judged by heterosexual men, then think Playboy instead. (Hefner would have women dye their hair blue if that's what turned male 'readers' on and made them buy copies.)

Lastly, it's a myth that I said bangs make women sexually invisible. I said Carly Rae Jepsen normally has looked sexually invisible. (Like a female version of Michael Cera.) And that the bangs have contributed to that instead of countering it. While implying that there are other women like that who therefore should heed my advice.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
"Fertile" means nearly any pre-menopausal woman. Though hair itself is vaguely a fertility cue.
Yeah... sorry I don't categorize woman based on how "fertile" they are. That is just odd...

Quote:
Also, even pretending that beauty pageants aren't watched and judged by heterosexual men, then think Playboy instead. (Hefner would have women dye their hair blue if that's what turned male 'readers' on and made them buy copies.)
Did a Google search of Playboy covers, and man are there a lot women with bangs. There goes that argument...

Obviously can't post those links. But one good example is August 2010... Heavy bangs on a dark haired white girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty