U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-03-2013, 10:58 PM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,624 posts, read 2,113,543 times
Reputation: 1679

Advertisements

I already had the private joke of bangs being used to cover up a swastika
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2013, 07:00 AM
 
14,649 posts, read 29,692,844 times
Reputation: 17211
OK, only read the first two pages but KATHRYN ARAGON, your photos are so pretty! I agree you look great with the bangs. I have big dark eyes like you and have worn bangs almost my entire life. I have a photo of me at age 9 wearing the same bangs and ponytail I sometimes wear today!

Frankly, I look terrible without bangs, especially since I am older. But instead of wearing them straight I am curling them and making them "poufy-er" now, it softens the look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Reputation: 57020
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
OK, only read the first two pages but KATHRYN ARAGON, your photos are so pretty! I agree you look great with the bangs. I have big dark eyes like you and have worn bangs almost my entire life. I have a photo of me at age 9 wearing the same bangs and ponytail I sometimes wear today!

Frankly, I look terrible without bangs, especially since I am older. But instead of wearing them straight I am curling them and making them "poufy-er" now, it softens the look.
Thank you! I've worn bangs most of my life like you and I think they often do a great job of highlighting a person's eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 11:15 AM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,624 posts, read 2,113,543 times
Reputation: 1679
I thought about "soften" before. Too straight = too angular = too masculine?

With bangs, bright eyes, bright teeth, or something would help. But those things decrease with age. And can I point out the obvious that eyes can be highlighted with eyeliner, mascara, etc.? It's possible with women with bangs use less of that than other women, which could give bangs a positive low-maintenance vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Reputation: 57020
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I thought about "soften" before. Too straight = too angular = too masculine?

With bangs, bright eyes, bright teeth, or something would help. But those things decrease with age. And can I point out the obvious that eyes can be highlighted with eyeliner, mascara, etc.? It's possible with women with bangs use less of that than other women, which could give bangs a positive low-maintenance vibe.
It's entirely possible for a woman to maintain bright eyes and white teeth well past middle age.

Look, here's the deal - some face shapes look great with bangs, and others don't, therefore some women will look great with bangs and others won't. It is what it is. I don't understand why YOU can't grasp this fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:39 PM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,388 posts, read 5,542,188 times
Reputation: 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I've been thinking about this for about two months. Bangs don't look good. On men, they look stupid, most people would agree. On women, sometimes they look okay but never good and too often bad.

Bangs seem to be a trend on women, maybe a hipsterish trend. I struggle to understand. Is it about hiding something negative about the forehead? Is it an ease of care thing?

When bangs reach the eyebrows, that is just wrong probably all the time. Also, I think bangs are more tolerable with blonde hair, because they blend with the skin and don't get much attention. But I can't think of anyone whose most attractive hairstyle would be bangs. Do any men think bangs look great on women?

I disagree, bangs can and do look GREAT on some people; and not so good on others.

A perfect example of great bangs.

The Official Bettie Page Site- Pinup Queen Star
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:50 PM
 
11,019 posts, read 6,570,281 times
Reputation: 19954
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Look, here's the deal - some face shapes look great with bangs, and others don't, therefore some women will look great with bangs and others won't. It is what it is. I don't understand why YOU can't grasp this fact.
Exactly. Just as some face shapes look better with short hair, and others look better with long hair. Its the same with hair color. Some skin tones look better with dark hair, others are better with lighter hair. And some people have the right face shape and skin tone to do whatever they want with their hair. It really just depends on the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2013, 10:36 AM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,624 posts, read 2,113,543 times
Reputation: 1679
The last few days of this thread give me a special mix of frustration and boredom. Here it is - bangs are more likely to shrink sex appeal than to boost it, and heterosexual men are better judges of women's sex appeal than are heterosexual women.

Differences in sexiness in hairstyles are like differences in sexiness between faces. Both can be attractive technically/geometrically, yet one look clearly is sexier than the other.
Pictures & Photos of Frankie Muniz - IMDb
Henry Cavill - IMDb

I'd say bangs are overdone because of the style leaders who (thanks to face, makeup, etc.) can do it with hardly a dent in their sex appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 AM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,441,583 times
Reputation: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
The last few days of this thread give me a special mix of frustration and boredom. Here it is - bangs are more likely to shrink sex appeal than to boost it, and heterosexual men are better judges of women's sex appeal than are heterosexual women.

Differences in sexiness in hairstyles are like differences in sexiness between faces. Both can be attractive technically/geometrically, yet one look clearly is sexier than the other.
Pictures & Photos of Frankie Muniz - IMDb
Henry Cavill - IMDb

I'd say bangs are overdone because of the style leaders who (thanks to face, makeup, etc.) can do it with hardly a dent in their sex appeal.
You know that not every change a woman makes to her appearance is meant to maximize sex appeal, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2013, 11:41 AM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,624 posts, read 2,113,543 times
Reputation: 1679
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top