U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 11:53 AM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Saying long side-swept bangs are bangs is like saying braids are curls. Probably technically true, but otherwise misleading. Yes, long side-swept bangs can look good (probably because they look natural and showcase long hair), but I doubt many people think of them when they think of "bangs." (Let's pretend there is no gray area between side-swept bangs and regular bangs, even though there's an almost infinite range of hairstyles.) Among other styles of bangs, they range from meh to uggh, and I expect agreement on that as viewed on third parties by most people, including the vast majority of men.

Now I get to take a random hair survey that landed in my email account this morning.
Sorry, but you're just wrong.

Hair Bangs - Types & Face Shapes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fringe_(hair)

Hairstyling & Hairstyle Terms Definitions

Hairstyles with Bangs (Fringe Hair) - Celebrity Hairstyles - Page 1 - DailyMakeover.com

Different Bangs That Make Your Forehead Look Smaller | typeF.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=defi...&bih=583&dpr=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 12:37 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,570,281 times
Quote:
Saying long side-swept bangs are bangs is like saying braids are curls. Probably technically true, but otherwise misleading.
Saying braids are curls is in no way "technically true" they are completely different hair styles. Side-swept bangs are just a different style of bangs.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:07 PM

2,625 posts, read 2,113,543 times
Then disregard that (although I'm convinced braiding involves de facto curling). Still, side-swept bangs should be disregarded too, because those aren't prototypical bangs, the type of "bangs" most people visualize when hearing that word. It doesn't matter that websites guides/definitions list side-swept as bangs. They don't look much like more obvious types of bangs. I think people are trying too hard to undermine my point about the attractiveness of bangs.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:31 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,570,281 times
Quote:
I'm convinced braiding involves de facto curling
No. Braiding involves taking three sections of hair and criss crossing them together to make a braid. No curly hair needed.

In case you need a visual:

CURLY HAIR

BRAIDED HAIR

Old 10-11-2013, 04:39 PM

The OP is just wrong on so many levels.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 AM

2,625 posts, read 2,113,543 times
Insults and distractions instead of discussion again. Even if I were totally wrong about braids, which I'm not, because twisting hairs in effect curls them. This is about aesthetics, not hairstyle creation, although I am curious if simplicity is a reason why people choose bangs.

I saw a picture of Joyce DeWitt with long hair and bangs, and it looked okay, about as good as I've seen her. Natural with her hair type. Bangs and long hair usually clash (wavy+ in back, straight in front). I'll also point out that the short hair with bangs she had on Three's Company probably was meant to help desexualize her appearance for the character she was playing.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:28 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Quote:
Even if I were totally wrong about braids, which I'm not, because twisting hairs in effect curls them.
But you are. Braiding hair is weaving locks of hair together. Curling hair is wrapping locks of hair around a round, heated implement. Any 8-year-old girl knows this, so why it's difficult for you to understand is baffling.

As far as bangs go, it's fine that you don't like them. Fortunately for women, the opinion of some random guy on the internet doesn't mean much.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:41 AM

11,628 posts, read 17,040,226 times
I have medium brown hair, just straight as an arrow. Right now its about shoulder length. If I don't style it It just hangs there. Very boring. Maybe I should cut bangs

Old 10-12-2013, 10:43 AM

Am I the only person who is somewhat amazed at the fortitude of the OP, in the face of such overwhelming evidence that he is wrong on so many points?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:51 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Am I the only person who is somewhat amazed at the fortitude of the OP, in the face of such overwhelming evidence that he is wrong on so many points?
There's a certain sort of dude on the internet who is convinced that his opinion equals universal truth and he will fight to the death to maintain this delusion. The Germans probably have a word for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty