U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:51 AM

2,635 posts, read 2,115,158 times

Advertisements

I'm talking curling from a geometric standpoint, not curling as defined by hairstylists.

I think Joyce's longer hairstyle was okay with bangs because the rest of it was somewhat flat and, um, staid. (Credit to anyone who finds the picture I mean.) I am surprised at people's stubborn insistence that bangs ever make hair look better on purely an aesthetic level (other than hiding forehead/hairline problems).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 AM

11,635 posts, read 17,044,904 times
I thought the OP was a woman

Old 10-12-2013, 01:03 PM

40,957 posts, read 32,676,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm talking curling from a geometric standpoint, not curling as defined by hairstylists.

I think Joyce's longer hairstyle was okay with bangs because the rest of it was somewhat flat and, um, staid. (Credit to anyone who finds the picture I mean.) I am surprised at people's stubborn insistence that bangs ever make hair look better on purely an aesthetic level (other than hiding forehead/hairline problems).
I think it's safe for me to speak for others as well as myself. We're surprised at YOUR stubborn insistence that bangs are generally unattractive or worn only to hide a problem.

People wear different hair styles, different lengths, etc. because different styles work better on different people. For instance, a round face isn't a PROBLEM - it's just a facial shape. So a person with a round face will wear a style that suits the shape of their face. Same with foreheads or hairlines or eyes or cheekbones - people generally choose a hairstyle that fits their features and brings out the best in those features. This doesn't mean that they're HIDING a PROBLEM.

Also, lots of people - men and women - simply like bangs. They can be fun, playful, funky, sexy, adorable even. Just because you don't think so doesn't alter this reality at ALL. Wow.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I thought the OP was a woman
Well, I don't blame you for thinking that, since it would make more sense in a way.

I mean, as far as "sense" can even be made of the original argument or ensuing discussion.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:51 PM

2,635 posts, read 2,115,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think it's safe for me to speak for others as well as myself. We're surprised at YOUR stubborn insistence that bangs are generally unattractive or worn only to hide a problem...
That isn't what I said. Many reasons for wearing bangs probably are unrelated to trying to look good to others. Also, I said they don't increase attraction, not that they necessarily lower attractiveness.

My argument could be destroyed by posting a picture of someone with a good upper third who nevertheless looks better with bangs (that aren't side-swept), all else being equal. Only problem is that it's unlikely there is such a picture.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:12 PM

11,036 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Even if I were totally wrong about braids, which I'm not, because twisting hairs in effect curls them.
You don't twist hair to braid it. Braiding hair does not require curly hair, nor does it make hair curly. So yes you are totally wrong about braids.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You don't twist hair to braid it. Braiding hair does not require curly hair, nor does it make hair curly. So yes you are totally wrong about braids.
Among other things.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:47 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,565,254 times
Yes, these were actresses and some time was spent doing their hair but thought I'd give some examples
of bangs.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...-1300-1604.jpg

http://media.avclub.com/images/436/4...9/627.jpg?2179

http://blogs.babble.com/strollerderb...ilynMonroe.jpg

http://hairstylestimes.info/wp-conte...urly-updos.jpg

Old 10-13-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Adorable. And I love that actress from Amelie - what a great movie! I think I want to watch it again.

http://foothillart.org/wp-content/up.../05/amelie.jpg

Old 10-13-2013, 11:06 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,565,254 times
She looks so cute. Saw current pictures of her on google - she went from short to long (still attractive with whatever cut
she has).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty