U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-13-2013, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,811 posts, read 9,224,383 times
Reputation: 29313

Advertisements

I look good with or without bangs, and I don't obtain permission from my husband when I decide to get them.

I'm sorry that they don't look good on you.


P.S. I'd take this



over this


any day!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2013, 04:51 PM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,692 posts, read 2,140,277 times
Reputation: 1699
I think spouses should discuss things (not just announce) before anyone makes a major hairstyle change.

Bruce Jenner used to have an unusually good-looking face (such that he was the rare male who could wear bangs well) and now he doesn't have an impressive face, so that's an unfair comparison.

Amelie was a silly movie, and as far as I know, everything about the character was sexless, including her hairstyle. Kidman's bangs hide a forehead that has grown over the year. I appreciate the photo of Marilyn Monroe, as that actually looks good on her. It's probably because the bangs don't lie flat nor cover much of her forehead. Plus the hairstyle stands out as creative. She looked at least as good without bangs, though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
41,328 posts, read 33,013,518 times
Reputation: 57587
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post


Quote:
I think spouses should discuss things (not just announce) before anyone makes a major hairstyle change.
Right. Which is why my husband and I have discussed that we don't have to discuss new hairstyles before we try them out. It has never even occurred to me to even have a discussion with my husband about a hairstyle I'm contemplating - I just go do it. He does the same.

Quote:
Bruce Jenner used to have an unusually good-looking face (such that he was the rare male who could wear bangs well) and now he doesn't have an impressive face, so that's an unfair comparison.
Nope - Bruce Jenner would look better NOW with bangs, just like he looked better THEN with bangs. And what happened to your argument that bangs are pretty much only for people who have something to hide or correct, if BJ had such a great looking face to start with? (Actually, and it's just my OPINION, but his looks have never appealed to me - with or without bangs - but he looks better with them than without them.)

Quote:
Amelie was a silly movie, and as far as I know, everything about the character was sexless, including her hairstyle.
Another opinion. Amelie was a very appealing movie, in my opinion - charming in fact. And the main character had plenty of sex once she hooked up with her beau.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 05:20 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 14,790,746 times
Reputation: 10227
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG. This is a ridiculous thread.
LOL! I posted to this thread eons go; can't believe it's still going.
I've had bangs since the late 1970s, for the most part. I have a long face. I think they look good on me. And nobody else's opinion matters to me more than my own when it comes to my personal style.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 06:23 PM
 
30,453 posts, read 31,386,514 times
Reputation: 14087
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I've been thinking about this for about two months. Bangs don't look good. On men, they look stupid, most people would agree. On women, sometimes they look okay but never good and too often bad.

Bangs seem to be a trend on women, maybe a hipsterish trend. I struggle to understand. Is it about hiding something negative about the forehead? Is it an ease of care thing?

When bangs reach the eyebrows, that is just wrong probably all the time. Also, I think bangs are more tolerable with blonde hair, because they blend with the skin and don't get much attention. But I can't think of anyone whose most attractive hairstyle would be bangs. Do any men think bangs look great on women?
Personally I don't like bangs as they need to be trimmed frequently (so that they won't get into one's eyes). But they do look attractive on some women's faces.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 07:18 PM
 
Location: 60630
11,720 posts, read 17,145,152 times
Reputation: 10854
What kind of face looks good in bangs you guys think?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 08:19 PM
 
24,008 posts, read 31,272,671 times
Reputation: 28692
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Am I the only person who is somewhat amazed at the fortitude of the OP, in the face of such overwhelming evidence that he is wrong on so many points?
NO, you are not. I think we are all just so completely amazed at such complete lunacy we don't even know what to say anymore.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
41,328 posts, read 33,013,518 times
Reputation: 57587
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
NO, you are not. I think we are all just so completely amazed at such complete lunacy we don't even know what to say anymore.
The sad thing is, he thinks he's still "winning."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 10:33 PM
 
4,878 posts, read 4,595,332 times
Reputation: 7271
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I think spouses should discuss things (not just announce) before anyone makes a major hairstyle change.

Amelie was a silly movie, and as far as I know, everything about the character was sexless, including her hairstyle. Kidman's bangs hide a forehead that has grown over the year. I appreciate the photo of Marilyn Monroe, as that actually looks good on her. It's probably because the bangs don't lie flat nor cover much of her forehead. Plus the hairstyle stands out as creative. She looked at least as good without bangs, though.
WHAT???? I need to discuss what I'm doing with my own hair with my spouse? I am not a piece of
property and this is not the middle ages.
Amelie was a clever film not silly. Of course you would pick Marilyn over the other 3, you forgot
Audrey Hepburn.....yep, she sure looked like crap. This topic has reached the epitome of
stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right. Which is why my husband and I have discussed that we don't have to discuss new hairstyles before we try them out. It has never even occurred to me to even have a discussion with my husband about a hairstyle I'm contemplating - I just go do it. He does the same.

Another opinion. Amelie was a very appealing movie, in my opinion - charming in fact. And the main character had plenty of sex once she hooked up with her beau.
^^^^Well said. Hope it makes a dent to the decider of hairdo's.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 10:51 PM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,692 posts, read 2,140,277 times
Reputation: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nope - Bruce Jenner would look better NOW with bangs, just like he looked better THEN with bangs. And what happened to your argument that bangs are pretty much only for people who have something to hide or correct, if BJ had such a great looking face to start with? (Actually, and it's just my OPINION, but his looks have never appealed to me - with or without bangs - but he looks better with them than without them.)
Bruce Jenner
That's a better look than with bangs. Yeah, now he'd look better with bangs, but older men basically aren't allowed to have them (men aren't allowed as many cover-ups for various problems as women are). Jenner was an 8/10 facially in his prime, even though I myself wouldn't want to look like that. His hair type was never good. That contributes to why he and Joyce DeWitt don't automatically lose points with bangs.

I forgot about the braids thing. I was going with the familiar mental image of straight hair being braided. That will inherently make some portions of the hair curlier, if not strictly curled per se.

[backtracked a little on the awfulness of bangs in men's hairstyles, but still winning]
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top