U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:34 AM

30,619 posts, read 9,156,162 times

Advertisements

[quote=goodheathen;31793844]I think spouses should discuss things (not just announce) before anyone makes a major hairstyle change.

Pigs will fly before I "discuss" contemplating changing my hairstyle with anyone but my stylist.

One look at the pathetic women who cry horseball tears on any makeover show when the stylist approaches with the scissors, bawling that their husbands/boyfriends like it long, tells me that women have not come a long way, baby.

It tells me also that this boring, inflexible attitude towards something as inconsequential as hair (um...it grows, ladies) surely extends to other aspects of the relationship, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,372,992 times
[quote=KathrynAragon;31559112]Oh, brother - bangs look good on some people and bad on some people. That's it - that's my take on bangs.

Personally I look MUCH better with bangs than with no bangs. Bangs go well with the shape of my face. They always have. (And my hair is dark, too - not blonde.)

Go figgur![/quote

Exactly. It depends of the facial shape.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,516,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
That's a rare thoughtful post in this thread. I still say it's fact, though, based on the principles I've cited. My opinion on symmetry and bangs is undecided, but I suspect that perfectly symmetrical hair in front is perceived as abnormal, because most people have noticeably naturally asymmetrical hair by a few decades into life. Uncanny valley, and why overly neat hairstyles can look like wigs. By the way, sometimes hairstyles with bangs look like wigs to me, and probably anyone will be turned off by a perceived wig.

Also, I've noticed that the positive talk about bangs in this thread by bangs defenders hasn't been very strong. Lots of "likes," but maybe no "loves." Not strongly conflicting with my original claim (that bangs don't (objectively) look good, although subjectively some people like them and they can hide objective physical flaws).
The problem with this entire thread (on both sides) is that posters are making claims that their opinion is fact. It's fine to believe what you want to believe, but don't try to pass that as something that has been scientifically supported when it has not.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:20 PM

215 posts, read 246,575 times
Christina Ricci has a high forehead.

Does she look better with bangs or without?

With bangs:

File:Christina Ricci by David Shankbone.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Movies/...-2007-8188.jpg

Without bangs:

Christina - Christina Ricci Photo (12785827) - Fanpop fanclubs

Christina Ricci red lips hairstyle straight photo | Posh24.com

Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,128,086 times
First of all, that forehead is her trademark, much like bangs were to Bettie Page and are to Zooey. Anyway, Ricci looks best with the red bangs, even though that shade is weird. Worst with the dark bangs, partly because there are some missing, like her hairline is thinning. Also, I might have a bias against dark bangs on fair skin, beyond whatever is normal. Unlike many others in this thread, I try to stay objective. Discounting wigs and that weird haircut Karmin's singer has, there's no option between bangs and showing a big forehead?

Old 10-16-2013, 01:32 PM

11,137 posts, read 6,626,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Worst with the dark bangs, partly because there are some missing, like her hairline is thinning.
Can you just admit you no nothing about bangs, or women's hairstyles? Her hair isn't thinning in that picture, and there is no hair missing. Its just the way they are styled. Bangs aren't always styled uniformed straight across the forehead.

Here's Brooklyn Decker with the same style http://theglitterguide.com/wp-conten...7587814919.jpg

Rashida Jones http://content.latest-hairstyles.com...ecey-bangs.jpg

Zooey Deschanel http://www.yeshairstyles.com/wp-cont...ir-style-5.jpg

Lea Michelle http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4890444182325860&pid=1.7

Quote:
Discounting wigs and that weird haircut Karmin's singer has, there's no option between bangs and showing a big forehead?
Scarves?

Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 PM

2,654 posts, read 2,128,086 times
I don't know much about women's hairstyles, though I'm learning. It's virtually irrelevant, since I know beauty very well. Zooey's bangs look much better than usual in that picture. Ricci's would be better like that. I should have said it looks like some hairs are missing, because it does look like that (and a close-up of her hairline suggests time is chewing on it). Heavy bangs minus a few on the left and with that high hairline - it's bad news. Edit: I'm speculating, after more than a week of this, that dark, heavy bangs look wrong because the color and virtual thickness make the bangs look too masculine, even more so when the fringe is straight-cut.

Head scarves for forehead reduction - er, technically yes, but they aren't a viable option for many people, especially typical Westernized people.

Last edited by goodheathen; 10-16-2013 at 02:27 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 04:55 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,742,905 times
Is this an entire thread about bangs? Seven pages worth?

My goodness.

Is our government still taking all our taxes and only doing some of their work? Oh who cares... maybe I should go get me some bangs...

Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 PM

8,170 posts, read 9,384,414 times
Well since the op asked for guys' opinions on whether they like bangs or not on women, I'll answer: This guy doesn't. I think women look much better with their hair off their face.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:34 PM

11,137 posts, read 6,626,765 times
Was watching the baseball game tonight, and the KFC commercial for the mighty bucket for one came on, and my SO commented on how he liked the girl's bangs. I personally don't like her bangs, but hey a man thinks a white female with dark hair looks good in bangs.

He commented on the bangs because a few weeks ago he had said a lady he works with had horrible bangs. I met her later that night and told him that I didn't see anything wrong with her bangs. She was a white woman with blond hair. I had asked him if he just didn't like bangs, and he said no, there was just something about her bangs.

http://youtu.be/pgfHL9Ug_AA

ETA: How do I get the video to show up in the post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty