U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:03 PM

40,896 posts, read 32,658,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I love bangs on some people, but not on me. Every time I get the bright idea to cut bangs, I always regret it immediately!

So I do't do that anymore
LOL I know what you mean! About once every ten years or so I'll get a crazy idea to let my hair grow out, including my bangs. I go through a year of hell, and then come to the conclusion that I hate my hair long and I HATE not having bangs! So after all that trouble, I just go get it all cut again and love it again!

I told my husband this last time, "Say something. Don't let me live through that again!" and he said, "YOU? I'm the one who has to look at you all the time while you try all these crazy styles out!"

He finally told me that he prefers my hair short and dark - but it was only after I tried every color and style in the world out over the course of about 18 months. I spent all kinds of money and did all sorts of ridiculous stuff to my hair, but at least I got it out of my system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 01:19 PM

8,671 posts, read 8,854,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I know what you mean! About once every ten years or so I'll get a crazy idea to let my hair grow out, including my bangs. I go through a year of hell, and then come to the conclusion that I hate my hair long and I HATE not having bangs! So after all that trouble, I just go get it all cut again and love it again!

I told my husband this last time, "Say something. Don't let me live through that again!" and he said, "YOU? I'm the one who has to look at you all the time while you try all these crazy styles out!"

He finally told me that he prefers my hair short and dark - but it was only after I tried every color and style in the world out over the course of about 18 months. I spent all kinds of money and did all sorts of ridiculous stuff to my hair, but at least I got it out of my system.
We are the opposite. Every few years I get a wild notion to cut my hair short (it is currently past my elbows, no bangs). About 5 years ago I went really crazy and got an severly angled bob that was so short in the back she used clippers on my neck. My hair before the haircut was just past my elbows as it is now. I always like it short for about 5 minutes, and start growing it back out right after the haircut My hair is currently black, but I have been every shade of brown and red, and was even light blonde for about a year. (that time I HAD to cut bangs, the bleach destroyed my hair HAHA! That was the last time) I also have a cowlick in my front hairline, so bangs always split at my part.

Bangs can really transform a person's look though, and do work well to hide signs of aging.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
We are the opposite. Every few years I get a wild notion to cut my hair short (it is currently past my elbows, no bangs). About 5 years ago I went really crazy and got an severly angled bob that was so short in the back she used clippers on my neck. My hair before the haircut was just past my elbows as it is now. I always like it short for about 5 minutes, and start growing it back out right after the haircut My hair is currently black, but I have been every shade of brown and red, and was even light blonde for about a year. (that time I HAD to cut bangs, the bleach destroyed my hair HAHA! That was the last time) I also have a cowlick in my front hairline, so bangs always split at my part.

Bangs can really transform a person's look though, and do work well to hide signs of aging.
LOL I liked this post - I could just see all the changes in my mind! Been there, done that. Hair is fun because no matter what we do to it, eventually it rights itself! Thank goodness.

I dyed my hair jet black once, under the mistaken notion that since it looks good dark, it would look good black. OMG. It looked HORRIBLE. And I was so mortified, because I love black hair on most other people. I guess it just never occurred to me that with my dark eyes, it would look weird, but boy did it ever.

I also look absolutely RIDICULOUS with blonde hair. Horrible. And I LIKE blonde hair - on other people.

I guess I just look best somewhere in my natural range of dark reddish brown. It goes well with my skin and eyes. Anything else always looks, well, just stupid on me! And yet - I know many people with brown eyes who go blonde and it looks great on them, so...go figgur.

This is what bothers me about the OP - the generalization. You just can't generalize about hair styles and hair colors!

Old 09-27-2013, 02:26 PM

4,931 posts, read 4,642,033 times
I was just watching one of my "Get Smart" DVD's.

Barbara Feldon sure was beautiful and sexy with her hair in bangs.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
LOL I liked this post - I could just see all the changes in my mind! Been there, done that. Hair is fun because no matter what we do to it, eventually it rights itself! Thank goodness.

I dyed my hair jet black once, under the mistaken notion that since it looks good dark, it would look good black. OMG. It looked HORRIBLE. And I was so mortified, because I love black hair on most other people. I guess it just never occurred to me that with my dark eyes, it would look weird, but boy did it ever.

I also look absolutely RIDICULOUS with blonde hair. Horrible. And I LIKE blonde hair - on other people.

I guess I just look best somewhere in my natural range of dark reddish brown. It goes well with my skin and eyes. Anything else always looks, well, just stupid on me! And yet - I know many people with brown eyes who go blonde and it looks great on them, so...go figgur.

This is what bothers me about the OP - the generalization. You just can't generalize about hair styles and hair colors!
My natural color is very dark brown. I have green eyes and olive skin. Black color looks good on me. BUT, I also was able to pull off being blonde. People I had met as a blonde asked "Why did you color your hair dark?" when I went back. They thought I was NATURALLY blonde! The upkeep was brutal, though, being so dark naturally.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:

My natural color is very dark brown. I have green eyes and olive skin. Black color looks good on me. BUT, I also was able to pull off being blonde. People I had met as a blonde asked "Why did you color your hair dark?" when I went back. They thought I was NATURALLY blonde! The upkeep was brutal, though, being so dark naturally.

I know all about changing hair. I used to be a stylist

Old 09-27-2013, 03:56 PM

2,626 posts, read 2,113,543 times
Ahem, back to discussing bangs.

Spiky all around is not my idea of bangs. It is unusual, which could be the reason for compliments.

I am secure in the opinion that I don't like prominent bangs. They're trendy now (though, as someone demonstrated with visuals, not new). I'm trying to figure out reasons for bangs and why they do or don't work (I'm coming around to the idea that they're worst on white women with dark brown hair). At the same time, I am also trying to confirm that my opinion is close to the standard male opinion and in turn to convince female readers (or at least the younger, single female readers) that they should question their use of bangs.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Ahem, back to discussing bangs.

Spiky all around is not my idea of bangs. It is unusual, which could be the reason for compliments.

I am secure in the opinion that I don't like prominent bangs. They're trendy now (though, as someone demonstrated with visuals, not new). I'm trying to figure out reasons for bangs and why they do or don't work (I'm coming around to the idea that they're worst on white women with dark brown hair). At the same time, I am also trying to confirm that my opinion is close to the standard male opinion and in turn to convince female readers (or at least the younger, single female readers) that they should question their use of bangs.
LOL you have a very narrow definition of bangs. There are all sorts of bangs. Maybe you really mean that you dislike long, straight, dark bangs. I'm not really sure.

Maybe while you're coming around to ideas, you can come around to the idea that these ideas of yours are nothing more than your own personal OPINIONS. That would be a great place to start putting things into perspective.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What's unattractive to you may be beautiful to someone else. Do you agree or disagree?

Old 09-27-2013, 04:25 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,570,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I am also trying to confirm that my opinion is close to the standard male opinion and in turn to convince female readers (or at least the younger, single female readers) that they should question their use of bangs.
Its not the standard for men, its just your opinion. I'm sure there are other men out there who do not like bangs, but its definitely not the norm. You posting on a message board is not going to create a no bangs movement, and I think its very odd that you think your opinion is going to make someone reevaluate their chosen hairstyle.

Since you seem to enjoy judging woman based on their choice of hairstyle, I'm interested in what type of hairstyle YOU have. Like what hairstyle do you have that is so awesome and universally loved that you feel you can judge others on their hair choice?

Old 09-27-2013, 04:38 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,570,281 times
Quote:
LOL you have a very narrow definition of bangs. There are all sorts of bangs. Maybe you really mean that you dislike long, straight, dark bangs. I'm not really sure.
I know, right? Every time someone gives an example of bangs looking good, OP says they're not bangs.

These are all bangs (I've stuck to only white women with dark hair, since those are the women OP thinks are most repulsive):

http://cdn3.gossipcenter.com/sites/d...012-%20(5).jpg
http://www.codigovenezuela.com/siste...ry80917003.jpg
http://www.prohaircut.com/gallery/le...le-s_53742.jpg
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4868681568485983&pid=1.7
http://ethnicelebs.com/wp-content/pl...180&w=180&zc=1
http://esbelleza.com/wp-content/uplo...ay-150x150.jpg
http://www.frizura.rs/wp-content/upl...etvrtasto7.gif
[Mod edit: please do NOT post copyrighted pictures]

Last edited by elnina; 09-27-2013 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: please post links instead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty