U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 04:43 PM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times

Advertisements

OMG the HUMANITY!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 05:50 PM

994 posts, read 1,198,159 times
To the people posting pictures, that's not going to change anyone's mind. I don't know about OP, but it certainly doesn't change my mind because, as I said, people who may look alright with bangs would probably look even better without them. Zooey Deschanel and Alicia Keys being great examples of this.

I guess this entire thread can be summed up as "to each her own."

Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 PM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
To the people posting pictures, that's not going to change anyone's mind. I don't know about OP, but it certainly doesn't change my mind because, as I said, people who may look alright with bangs would probably look even better without them. Zooey Deschanel and Alicia Keys being great examples of this.

I guess this entire thread can be summed up as "to each her own."
PERSONAL OPINION, SISTER. But you're right - to each his own. Personally, I think that Zooey Deschanel and Alicia Keys look TERRIFIC with bangs. So does that mean I'm right and you're wrong, or does it mean that different people have different opinions?

My gosh, it's not like it's a question of morality or values.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:28 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,944,887 times
Zooey D looks a millon times better with bangs than without them

proof:

Zooey Deschanel Unrecognizable At Met Gala | The Non-Blonde

Old 09-27-2013, 08:31 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Its not the standard for men, its just your opinion. I'm sure there are other men out there who do not like bangs, but its definitely not the norm. You posting on a message board is not going to create a no bangs movement, and I think its very odd that you think your opinion is going to make someone reevaluate their chosen hairstyle.

Since you seem to enjoy judging woman based on their choice of hairstyle, I'm interested in what type of hairstyle YOU have. Like what hairstyle do you have that is so awesome and universally loved that you feel you can judge others on their hair choice?
Actually, this thread has made me seriously think about cutting my bangs again.

Weird how that works.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:55 PM

2,624 posts, read 2,111,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL you have a very narrow definition of bangs. There are all sorts of bangs. Maybe you really mean that you dislike long, straight, dark bangs. I'm not really sure.

Maybe while you're coming around to ideas, you can come around to the idea that these ideas of yours are nothing more than your own personal OPINIONS. That would be a great place to start putting things into perspective.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What's unattractive to you may be beautiful to someone else. Do you agree or disagree?
I mostly disagree. All the research about facial features and other physical characteristics (including balding vs. not balding) indicate that most people have similar preferences. I figure that probably applies to esoteric things like bangs that are highly unlikely to be formally studied. I wouldn't waste members' time pushing my own quirks. For the record, some bangs I don't mind, but I cannot recall ever actively liking any style that includes bangs. Edit: I've never had bangs, but have played around with a combed-forward look in private and been horrified by the result, which I suppose fuels my dislike of bangs. And, while I don't know if my hairstyle rates highly or not, my hair quality is good - about Axe-level - and has been noted as such by both sexes. So I'm not hypocritically saying only women should make hair effort.

If it were more or less factually demonstrated that bangs aren't popular with most men, would that change women's style choices? Granted, it's not as big a factor in attractiveness as long hair vs. short hair and not usually a deal-breaker in men's attraction.

Last edited by goodheathen; 09-27-2013 at 10:19 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 10:55 AM

2,624 posts, read 2,111,724 times
I think I've just nearly killed off dark bangs that cover the eyebrows, because I figured out what is wrong with them. Because not having eyebrows often looks creepy (like a pair of eyes peeking out from the darkness), and eyebrows are gender indicators. As dark hair itself is a masculine trait, hiding feminine eyebrows increases the androgynous effect. Not sexy. Only if the rest of the visible face is quite feminine is the look likely not terrible.

Other problems with long dark bangs specifically are reduced facial expressiveness, nebulous age (men are less likely to approach women when they're unsure of their age, and that's magnified by the aforementioned creepy factor), and (if the total hairstyle is Zooey-esque and the woman white) the look-like-everyone-else or look-like-a-hipster effect .

If you're guilty of the above, by the next time you need a haircut, I strongly suggest trimming away much (or all) of those bangs.

Lastly, the supposed bang-hater presents some bangs that look okay. On The Bangles - which was a name that evolved from The Bangs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAbYsxd3ADg

Last edited by goodheathen; 09-28-2013 at 11:25 AM..

Old 09-28-2013, 04:07 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Quote:
LOL you have a very narrow definition of bangs. There are all sorts of bangs. Maybe you really mean that you dislike long, straight, dark bangs. I'm not really sure.
Maybe while you're coming around to ideas, you can come around to the idea that these ideas of yours are nothing more than your own personal OPINIONS. That would be a great place to start putting things into perspective.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What's unattractive to you may be beautiful to someone else. Do you agree or disagree?
I get a bang out of you going on about yourself ad nauseum.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:18 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
LOL I know what you mean! About once every ten years or so I'll get a crazy idea to let my hair grow out, including my bangs. I go through a year of hell, and then come to the conclusion that I hate my hair long and I HATE not having bangs! So after all that trouble, I just go get it all cut again and love it again!

I told my husband this last time, "Say something. Don't let me live through that again!" and he said, "YOU? I'm the one who has to look at you all the time while you try all these crazy styles out!"

He finally told me that he prefers my hair short and dark - but it was only after I tried every color and style in the world out over the course of about 18 months. I spent all kinds of money and did all sorts of ridiculous stuff to my hair, but at least I got it out of my system.

That, I'm the opposite...every half-dizen years or so, I'll think, "Maybe short hair?" and give it a try. Regret is always imminent.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:41 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Ahem, back to discussing bangs...

I am secure in the opinion that I don't like prominent bangs. They're trendy now (though, as someone demonstrated with visuals, not new). I'm trying to figure out reasons for bangs and why they do or don't work (I'm coming around to the idea that they're worst on white women with dark brown hair). At the same time, I am also trying to confirm that my opinion is close to the standard male opinion and in turn to convince female readers (or at least the younger, single female readers) that they should question their use of bangs.

Great...then there's no reason you should feel the need to back up the validity of your opinion, which really doesn't need to be validated, given that it's just that, an opinion. It's pretty obvious that "I always hear men talking about how they don't like bangs" is not, in fact, the result of some type of scientific gathering of a wide range of data...it's just you not liking bangs and invoking the "...and everyone else hates them, too, so there!" argument.

Also? It doesn't matter if you DO conduct a wide-reaching and exhaustive survey of male preference in some type of controlled double-blind environment...women are going to do whatever they like with their hair. Sorry 'bout that. It's like this...no women are going to change their hairstyles based on the bizarre assertionsn and ramblings of anonymous people with weird obsessions and fetishes on random forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty