Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 02:12 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,847,569 times

Advertisements

Oh great, I just love personal attacks and distortions. As if I ever said men talk about bangs. It's the almost complete absence of praise for the attractiveness of women who have bangs that tells me my original claim is almost surely true.

Plus, I explained why long, dark bangs that cover the eyebrows on white women are generally bad. Heaven help the unhappily single woman who reads that and dismisses it, especially if she chose the style because it's supposedly sexy and sophisticated (probably told to her by lonely friends, advertisers, and stylists who find the cut easy to do/maintain). Women like to claim that they style themselves purely for themselves, and many men say they dress for themselves, but normal people of both sexes do want to make themselves look good to actual or potential lovers while (if mentally mature) staying true to themselves.

Edit: mop tops have bangs and (I assume) are considered unattractive by most. I don't see the Zooey cut as very different from that in the center of the style.

Last edited by goodheathen; 09-29-2013 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 02:40 PM

37,496 posts, read 45,805,567 times
5 Decades of Great Bangs / Beauty Buzz | jadabeauty.com | Jada Beauty

Tons and tons of great bangs there. This is such a silly thread.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:17 PM

The only problems on my end are using an imprecise thread title and not defining "bangs" then. I stand by the belief that they don't enhance any hairstyle (though they can cover up forehead problems). I await anyone who can dispute the point that hiding non-deformed eyebrows with bangs ever makes sense. People can use long bangs as something other than a cover-up, like for variety, but as a go-to style, I say don't do it unless necessary.

That picture gallery is interesting, but a few of the hair styles are layered swooping (must end on the face to be "bangs") - by the way, that includes probably my favorite, Tiffani-Amber Thiessen's haircut - and some of the styles are downright bad (Tina Turner, for example). Plus, most of the women (ha, but not Tina) are naturally attractive. If I thought it would change minds, I could go through almost every one and illustrate that said celebrity has looked better without bangs. The real test is how bangs look on an average-looking woman. I don't think I could make and post the image I have in mind without violating copyright, but envision it as "With bangs, you think you look like Zooey Deschanel, but you really look like Carly Rae Jepsen."

Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,971,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
"With bangs, you think you look like Zooey Deschanel, but you really look like Carly Rae Jepsen."
And what is wrong with that?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GsWts-TAKc...38-660-440.jpg

Old 10-01-2013, 10:17 AM

That's an unrealistic picture of her. Carly Rae doesn't normally have great makeup and a "bold lip." Although she recently upgraded to full-fledged red hair. But most people will envision her for the mediocrity she long has been. Sexually invisible to nearly all men, and part of that is the hairstyle. A woman with a mediocre face and body who wants to attract men should pick a hairstyle that men like. Big bangs aren't it (unless, maybe, she wants a hipster guy). That waterfall of hair creates no attraction and often distracts from facial beauty and other sections of hair that might be attractive. I speak the truth.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,349,322 times
I think bangs suit me, and I believe I'd look more peculiar without them.
In past years, I've put gel in my hair to get them off my face-
other times, I just let them feather or hang straight.

I do agree that bangs which fully cover eyebrows can appear odd,
as if the person had shaved their eyebrows or something.

This photo of me is from 2005-

Old 10-01-2013, 02:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,582,558 times
Quote:
That's an unrealistic picture of her. Carly Rae doesn't normally have great makeup and a "bold lip." Although she recently upgraded to full-fledged red hair. But most people will envision her for the mediocrity she long has been. Sexually invisible to nearly all men, and part of that is the hairstyle. A woman with a mediocre face and body who wants to attract men should pick a hairstyle that men like. Big bangs aren't it (unless, maybe, she wants a hipster guy). That waterfall of hair creates no attraction and often distracts from facial beauty and other sections of hair that might be attractive. I speak the truth.
Seriously?

You speak YOUR truth. I know plenty of women with bangs/hairstyles like hers that have no issues attracting men. Just because YOU don't like that particular hairstyle doesn't mean all men don't like it.

Plus, if it means not attracting men like you, I fully encourage ALL women to go right out and get bangs. Like, now.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:49 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,733,967 times
Generally not a fan if they're like covering your eyes, but if it's not too long it's ok.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Yay, a male reply. Much better than a woman twisting words and then attacking, as if I'm trying to hurt people.

I'm convinced bangs are negative the longer they are. Suspicious that the penalty is greatest for dark-haired white women (because other colors or sheen likely evoke a positive response in more men), but I have not heard enough guys weigh in. I also wonder if the less men mind bangs means the more they value body relative to face.

Last edited by goodheathen; 10-02-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 01:58 PM

15,837 posts, read 21,372,529 times
Quote:
Yay, a male reply. Much better than a woman twisting words and then attacking, as if I'm trying to hurt people.

I'm convinced bangs are negative the longer they are. Suspicious that the penalty is greatest for dark-haired white women (because other colors or sheen likely evoke a positive response in more men), but I have not heard enough guys weigh in. I also wonder if the less men mind bangs means the more they value body relative to face.
[snip] Not nice, and not necessary

And no, I don't have bangs and my brief foray into them looked bad ON ME. But I think they look phenomenal on many women, including Zooey Deschanel who does not look like her when she wears her bangs back.

Last edited by ElleTea; 10-02-2013 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty