U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:21 PM

11,677 posts, read 2,089,693 times

Advertisements

Chanel Egoiste (NOT Platinum) Don't know if it's even still available, but my ex used to wear it and it's the height of masculine fragrance for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 02:03 PM

1,603 posts, read 2,681,773 times
Whoever mentioned Armani Code and you're right a little goes a very long way with that scent.

I also like Aqua di Gio (apparently I'm a big fan of all things Armani)

Oh and someone mentioned Drakkar ... that smell still has a very special place in my heart and I find myself following that scent like a bloodhound. But for a young guy I don't think he wants a bunch of women "of a certain age" following him around like that. Stick to current scents - LOL

Old 09-27-2013, 02:04 PM

97 posts, read 223,487 times
English Leather
Brut 33
Canoe
Matchabelli
British Sterling
Stetson

there are those that are less than memorable
Hai Karate
Aqua Velva
Skin Bracer

all of the above were at one time on the market and were heavily marketed...

Those old enough to remember the tv commercials for some of these will realize the AXE commercials have nothing on those old tv commercials.........."....wears English leather or nothing at all.." Go see a few, v=tkTNX6VU71A , v=jtwh3nQP5Uo , v=kQILMcXC5a0 , v=-gBWGIkZvD0 , are just a few that might bring back memories from long ago.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:32 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,769,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Richards View Post
English Leather
Brut 33
Canoe
Matchabelli
British Sterling ("So fine a gift it's only sold in Jewelry Stores!")
Stetson

there are those that are less than memorable
Hai Karate
Aqua Velva
Skin Bracer
Your forgot the most dreadful of those horrible scents: Jade East. When I was 8 years old I thought the Buddha bottle was so cool.

If you want a not too expensive masculine scent for night time, I like one called "Cigar" by Remy Latour that has notes of amber, leather, tobacco ... put that on and hair will grow on your chest (or if you have some, you'll grow more.)

There is a fresh - almost herbal - fragrance I can recommend: "Green" by Perry Ellis. I put a little of that on after going to the gym and showering. The ladies always compliment that one.

The key is to be immaculately clean. Cologne is put on - very sparingly - just after you showered. Never ever put the stuff on after you've been perspiring or to "mask" body odor. It doesn't work like that.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:53 PM

4,236 posts, read 3,030,690 times
Lalique Pour Homme - Lalique
Green Irish Tweed - Creed
32 N - Lili Bermuda

Last edited by Sage 80; 09-27-2013 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 03:45 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,117,815 times
Terre d'Hermes - by Hermes
Oud Wood - by Tom Ford

Old 09-28-2013, 07:36 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,579,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't like perfumes or colognes. My husband wears Old Spice deodorant and that's enough for me. It reminds me of my dad because my dad wore Old Spice after shave. I have a soft spot for Old Spice.
Me, too. It's a nice, comforting scent. For a more modern type, I really like the patchouli based ones.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:01 AM

22,583 posts, read 11,769,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Terre d'Hermes - by Hermes

Hermes makes some of the best men's colognes on the planet. They are not cheap. The scents are always soft, sophisticated, and long lasting. An evening fragrance is Bel Ami that is warm, leathery, and masculine. Another great one is Un Jardin En Mediterranee - it is beautiful and elegant: complex, subtle, with notes of herbs, spices, and florals.

Some others have mentioned Creed, they are great too but really, really expensive.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:27 AM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashrulez View Post
Eh, I don't really believe that, especially when it comes to dating. Women like a guy who looks nice, smells nice, talks nice and makes them laugh. I don't think that whole natural body odor thing comes into play until after a relationship has been formed and things like familiarity are established.
Not exactly. There are subconscious clues about compatibility that come from smell. Men can definitely have the wrong smell for you and be right for someone else. Kinda like how we can all think of someone who has all the trademarks of a good match but you just aren't attracted!

Back to the colognes? Hard to say. One cologne can smell amazing on one person and awful on another. I did really like the Le Labo fragrances. Very sophisticated and interesting.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:47 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,054,833 times
Quorum (by Puig)

Decades ago a coworker wore it and I stopped him in his tracks to ask what DO YOU HAVE ON!? Damn it was compelling and seductively attracting. I've recommended it to everyone whenever perfumes or colognes comes up in discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or