U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 AM

250 posts, read 805,095 times

Advertisements

Everything in moderation ladies. I dont find the gooped up look attractive myself, its just too much for everyday. I can see glaming up a little more for some evening event out but for daily activities keep it simple and play up your best features. I do wear some light powder, small amount of liner on my eyes, maybe a tad of blush on the cheeks and small amt of mascara and gloss on the lips and you're set for work or play. I don't see the need to wear a ton of makeup but a small amount is nice I think. If you apply it correctly people really shouldn't look at you and just see makeup but your features instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 05:37 PM

275 posts, read 805,375 times
It is unfortunate that there are women that in my view are pretty without makeup or a modest amount, but that they are pushed through peer pressure when they are younger to put on alot of makeup. I prefer seeing the more natural look. My wife is into the more natural look.

Natural is prettier. I'm not into the fake anything...Natural beauty ladies is the best.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:55 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,399,524 times
Makeup is supposed to complement and accentuate your features...not provide a concealing mask, or totally change your appearance. If you wear heavy makeup because you feel you have to cover up what you look like, you more than likely have self-esteem problems.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:07 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,804,779 times
I don't wear foundation...it always looks like a mask on me (even if I get the color right). Someone once said to me that "the best make-up is good skin" and I think there is some truth to it. I take GREAT care of my skin.

Now on the other hand, I wouldn't even put the garbage out without eye make up. I have very fair skin and light blue eyes..without a bit of shadow and liner I look like a ghost. To each his (or her!) own, but for me..its eye make up and maybe a touch of blush and a neutral lip gloss.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:52 PM

3,567 posts, read 7,518,278 times
I'm blond with darker brows (thank god) and big gray eyes.

I need makeup just as a balancer, otherwise I have no color.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:37 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,546,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
I wish I could go without makeup, unfortunately my skin still thinks it's going through puberty and I need foundation to cover up some acne issues I have yet to resolve . It could be worse, at least having oily skin vs. dry skin keeps the wrinkles at bay, so I tend to be considered generally about 5-10 years younger than I actually am. Other than that, when I'm wearing my glasses (love my glasses) I skip the mascara; wearing contacts, I definitely hook my lashes up, because they're nice and long and it really accentuates my eyes. One thing I am addicted to is yummy lipgloss that isn't too shiny and doesn't feel sticky...lipgloss on, then I'm out the door !

I dunno about putting makeup over acne, doesn't that make things worse?

As far as oily vs dry and wrinkles goes, I guess I am an anomaly, since I have super dry skin, and not very many wrinkles.

In the end, I think it comes down to genetics and how you take care of yourself.

For makeup, I wear eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, and lip gloss and that's it, if I even wear much makeup at all.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:40 AM

3,469 posts, read 6,939,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I dunno about putting makeup over acne, doesn't that make things worse?
Not necessarily. There's a lot of options out there that are friendly to acne prone skin. It certainly makes you look better to conceal it.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:06 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,728,676 times
I don't wear makeup. It makes me feel claustrophobic. It's also bad for your skin and full of artificial stuff and chemicals. Your skin is an organ... I wouldn't want all those chemicals and crap smeared all over my lungs or liver, either. And I think about all that junk that gets washed down the drain when people wash it off. And I think of all the packaging waste and excess trash and garbage accumulation because of all that vanity. It's just not my thing at all. I see it as something unethical, and bad for the earth and our bodies. And I prefer to see what people look like naturally. I don't take people seriously when they're all fake and "made-up" looking... and I don't like how they smell... and I really don't like it when someone gives you a hug or brushes up against you or hugs one of your kids and their make-up and it's smells get all over the place. It's kinda gross.

My husband tells me all the time how he loves that I look like the same person when I wake up in the morning or get out the shower as I do all the rest of the time. He says it really weirded him out when he was young and dating, and his girlfriends would look different when they would have their makeup on, and then almost dead when they didn't put their makeup on. He loves that I don't wear makeup. He likes how we don't spend any money on that crap, too! And I love not having to worry about anything when I hug and snuggle with my husband and my kids - no makeup stains or smears to worry about.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:50 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,399,524 times
I increasingly hate the scent of cosmetics that aren't fragrance-free. Guess I'm just becoming more sensitive to it.

I also run into problems because of sensitive skin. The so-called "healthy" mineral makeup actually irritates my skin and causes breakouts, how ironic is that?

Old 06-13-2009, 10:54 AM

3,088 posts, read 7,637,885 times
Women look better without makeup. I never found women with makeup on to be attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or