U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 AM

3,388 posts, read 5,551,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Not necessarily. There's a lot of options out there that are friendly to acne prone skin. It certainly makes you look better to conceal it.
Like I said, I dunno. Acne, (knock on wood) was/is not a problem I have had to worry about. The occasional blackhead or pimple, but no breakouts or anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 01:17 AM

29,634 posts, read 31,973,225 times
I am very pale and now my reddish hair is going really grey so my overall tone is "washed out", with occassional red blotches. I used to just wear a bit of foundation and some lip gloss but I need to kick it up a notch and get a bit more dramatic (for me) in order to look more alive these days. I will go out without makeup and not care, but when I care about looking better I need foundation, blush or bronzer, lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, brow tint, eyeshadow, and powder. It sounds like a lot but thats what it takes these days....::sigh::

I also have to color my hair to get some contrast between it and my skin.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:31 AM

2,539 posts, read 8,578,820 times
I have fun with makeup and enjoy different colors and brands. I love Sephora...about the only place I enjoy shopping. However, I will go without it on, and the funny thing is my husband actually says he loves how I look without it!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:53 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,738,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Just to let you know there is a new thread on the relationships board started by a guy who is extremely anti-makeup. He wants women to wear no makeup. I could not disagree with him more. I am more convinced than ever that it is dominant, controlling men who are behind the anti-makeup movment and I can't resent them enough for it.
I am a woman and I feel a different way. I feel it's society that pressures women into feeling as if they have to look a certain way: i.e. wear make up, have pretty skin, have pretty hair, wear attractive clothing, "dress up", perhaps fake tan...fake nails... color their hair... cover their gray hair... obsessively fight wrinkles and any signs of natural aging... stay young looking... shave our legs and under arms... even be hairless in "other areas" to portray a sense of youth and innocence...

I feel it could possibly be feminists, environmentalists or naturalists (or any other group who fights for the environment and/or for more freedoms for women) who are behind the anti-makeup movement.

I wouldn't be with a man who wouldn't accept me as I am. I don't wear makeup and he loves it.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 AM

1,668 posts, read 3,953,455 times
But in all honesty, make-up is a pain in the butt. There's no getting around the fact that it's a hassle to wear.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,034,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesFex View Post
I've personally always preferred the untouched face, particularly natural eye brows: very rare, but so attractive.
That's sweet, but I have dark, heavy brows that overpower my face. I pluck them just enough to give them a nice, natural-looking shape. I bet a lot of women's "natural" beauty is at least somewhat enhanced!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:59 PM
JL

7,314 posts, read 11,493,869 times
The best makeup is no makeup. You have to do this while young though. Makeup ages women faster.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:19 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,999,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I am very pale and now my reddish hair is going really grey so my overall tone is "washed out", with occassional red blotches. I used to just wear a bit of foundation and some lip gloss but I need to kick it up a notch and get a bit more dramatic (for me) in order to look more alive these days. I will go out without makeup and not care, but when I care about looking better I need foundation, blush or bronzer, lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, brow tint, eyeshadow, and powder. It sounds like a lot but thats what it takes these days....::sigh::

I also have to color my hair to get some contrast between it and my skin.
I'm washed out, too...similar complexion...but not concerned enough to apply cosmetics.
However, I am toying with the idea of coloring my hair again after several years of not, because it is becoming quite faded...I LIKE white hair and look forward to it, but this interim gray/warm brown is kinda boring. Ages me more than my wrinkles do.
I might go dark cool brown again, pops in a good way. And like you said, contrast is good.
Just hate roots, growing color out...what's holding me back.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:59 PM

3,225 posts, read 6,131,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I am a woman and I feel a different way. I feel it's society that pressures women into feeling as if they have to look a certain way: i.e. wear make up, have pretty skin, have pretty hair, wear attractive clothing, "dress up", perhaps fake tan...fake nails... color their hair... cover their gray hair... obsessively fight wrinkles and any signs of natural aging... stay young looking... shave our legs and under arms... even be hairless in "other areas" to portray a sense of youth and innocence...

I feel it could possibly be feminists, environmentalists or naturalists (or any other group who fights for the environment and/or for more freedoms for women) who are behind the anti-makeup movement.

I wouldn't be with a man who wouldn't accept me as I am. I don't wear makeup and he loves it.
I agree. It is suggested that women now start using anti-aging products when they're still in their 20's!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:55 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,461,204 times
Hah, I have to laugh when I see these "anti-aging serum" ads marketed to college-aged women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or