Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 04:00 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
^ I've worked for major corporations that had a makeup requirement in the dress code, I thought that was a bit extreme.
I'll say.
None I worked at ever did.
Electronics, a record company, a soap manufacturer, candy maker. None had makeup codes that I ever knew of and we had makeup free women in all of them.

Could you say what the 'code' was?
Were they in fashion or show biz, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 04:27 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I'll say.
None I worked at ever did.
Electronics, a record company, a soap manufacturer, candy maker. None had makeup codes that I ever knew of and we had makeup free women in all of them.

Could you say what the 'code' was?
Were they in fashion or show biz, maybe?
Hotel and retail.....lets see.........it was basically that anyone that had any interaction with the public could not come to work without minimal makeup, of course, the dress codes also said something about too much makeup, also.
The last major corporation I worked for was in the early 90's, they also required hose, stockings or socks at all times.
I hope things have changed!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Hotel and retail.....lets see.........it was basically that anyone that had any interaction with the public could not come to work without minimal makeup, of course, the dress codes also said something about too much makeup, also.
The last major corporation I worked for was in the early 90's, they also required hose, stockings or socks at all times.
I hope things have changed!
Ok, public contact positions, rough jobs without the makeup issue.
I can understand that a company might want a 'vanilla' look to the public, something avoiding extremes, but stockings?

Maybe that's changed. So many people are going without them these days.

Again, I tend to think of women without makeup as more serious and intellectual. That's a generalization. I would trust someone in retail with no makeup.

Oh, this brings something to mind. A while ago my husband and I were thinking of moving and just looking on the net for properties. I commented that most of the saleswomen in some areas looked like failed actresses. For real estate I like women because they have been more honest with me and older because they, chances are, have lived in various houses and can understand my needs better.

Recently there was an article in the paper about real estate agents sleeping with customers to induce a sale. I think some were arrested as prostitutes. Geeze! Things are rough all over!

Funny thing is, I think when it comes to a home, it is the women who make the final decision and hookers just don't work as well with them.

And you think you had it bad.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Ok, public contact positions, rough jobs without the makeup issue.
I can understand that a company might want a 'vanilla' look to the public, something avoiding extremes, but stockings?

Maybe that's changed. So many people are going without them these days.

Again, I tend to think of women without makeup as more serious and intellectual. That's a generalization. I would trust someone in retail with no makeup.

Oh, this brings something to mind. A while ago my husband and I were thinking of moving and just looking on the net for properties. I commented that most of the saleswomen in some areas looked like failed actresses. For real estate I like women because they have been more honest with me and older because they, chances are, have lived in various houses and can understand my needs better.

Recently there was an article in the paper about real estate agents sleeping with customers to induce a sale. I think some were arrested as prostitutes. Geeze! Things are rough all over!

Funny thing is, I think when it comes to a home, it is the women who make the final decision and hookers just don't work as well with them.

And you think you had it bad.
I read something about the real estate agents as well, lol.....and this was from where I come from, I almost fell over!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I read something about the real estate agents as well, lol.....and this was from where I come from, I almost fell over!
Yes, and I remember years before that story that some realtors had been raped in newly constructed homes by some lowlife pretending to be a potential customer. Now I am wondering if some potential customer perceived that some promise was made to him of sexual favors.

Not that we should ever tolerate such behavior, but there have also been cases of hookers accusing people of rape when nothing happened. I'm thinking of that whole sports team of the North Carolina university being tainted by the accusations of a lying prostitute. THey were not guilty by her own admission, but so many people were protesting them as spoiled young men from indulgent upper middle class families.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicejb View Post
I had a friend in high school who looked unrecognizable without her make-up on--like a ghost. So I guess she needed some or some color on her face. I was also friends with an older lady who, although very hot for her age, does not feel complete without some kind of make-up on before she steps out of the door.

I rarely wear 'em. I have stuff sitting on my desk that's about to expire and I've barely used 1/2 of 'em. What I notice it does, for me, is the foundation evens out my complexion. Other than that, I don't look drastically different with 'em on. I guess it enhances my features, like other posters have said.

On night outs (very far and few in between), I put on a little. Basically foundation, concealer and lip balm. But on everyday activities...make-up? Never.
I am that way too. I am extremely pale and I look almost unrecognizable without makeup. You wouldn't even think I'm the same person. I think people are shocked it they see me without it. I know my husband was.

Once I had to give this huge presentation for work and I wanted to get out of it. I went in to work with very little makeup and my boss saw me and sent me home. I told her I was feeling a little under the weather, but was fine, but she insisted I lookly really pale and sickly and insisted I go home. It totally worked!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:55 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
I love makeup, always have. And I vary my routine a lot, never stick to one way of wearing it. I may skip the foundation one day (something I don't need much of), or eyeshadow. But I must have lipstick (wear all colors),eyeliner, and groom my eyebrows for sure.

If I'm home and want to go to the store, I dab on some lip color, groom my brows, and use a quick appliction of mascara. Even if I'm just home I still dab on a little lip color, because I prefer to look at some "life" in the mirror.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:01 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,591,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Hmmm....I notice women who wear makeup age better and have less sun damage their skin. Most foundation has SPF, and it acts as a barrier not just for the sun, but the elements in general (pollution, dirt, wind, etc).
I think this is true. My mom, very pretty without makeup by the way, has always worn makeup. She is now 65 and has aged MUCH better than her other sisters who wore no makeup.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:08 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,591,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I see a lot of comments saying women who wear makeup are insecure. My observations have been just the opposite. I have found women with makeup tend to be the most outgoing, social, and confident.

It seems the majority of women here wear litte or no makeup. Do you think this is just a reflection of the older demographics of this board? I say that because I see a lot of "when I was younger I wore makeup" comments. Or do you think there is a mass movement underway where women are using less cosmetics than ever? I sure hope it is the former not the latter since I really appreciate how great women look wearing makeup. I found the comments Peru made about the women at her college wearing "clown makeup" to be comforting. This must mean makeup use is still widespread, at least among the younger generation. I would bet anything I would find the woman Peru says wears too much makeup to be very attractive, more so than if she went for the plain jane natural look.

I asked my girlfriend (who is an avid makeup user) why some women don't wear makeup these days. She blamed men. She said there are a lot of controlling men who say things like "Don't be so high maintnence, don't wear all that makeup". A website I found for men who have an appreciation for women who wear lipstick came to the same conclusion. They blamed blue collar men in particular for constantly telling women not to wear makeup. They said some men get intimidated by a well polished, put together, pretty woman. So do you think on some level, women are choosing not to wear makeup to please these domineering controlling men?

Tabula Rasa mentioned she wore makeup until she attended a hippie, crunchy granola college. So would it be fair to say a woman who is not wearing makeup is making a left wing political statement? It seems when I was younger it was more the conservative women who wore less makeup, in particular they didn't want their young daughters to wear makeup. But something changed several years ago where the natural look became associated with liberalism/political correctness.

I know, you probably think I am overanalyzing this. You think all these choices are made by individual women with no regard to what any man thinks, their opinions of makeup are meaningless.. Maybe that's true to some degree. But I think there are always cultural forces that play a huge role in this and every other style trend and consumer choice. You can pretend these cultural forces don't exist if you wish but they are still there there and they do have influence.
This is a really old post but really wanted to quote it because I think it's great. I'm an above average looking woman and I wear makeup. I don't slop it on but I use it to accentuate my features so I look great. I have been reading through this thread trying to figure out why so many women think it's a negative thing to wear makeup, or that not wearing it means they have higher self esteem.

I'm personally a very confident person and I don't see any harm in looking the best you can. Thank you for your post!!!

Last edited by lyra33; 07-03-2010 at 02:38 AM..

Old 07-03-2010, 01:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I think this is true. My mom, very pretty without makeup by the way, has always worn makeup. She is now 65 and has aged MUCH better than her other sisters who wore no makeup.
Agreed. Unfortunately, I think a lot of women who don't wear makeup also don't use sunscreen regularly. I use a moisturizer with SPF 45 when I'm not wearing foundation (which has SPF 35 ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty