U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:29 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,395,903 times

Advertisements

It also comes down with the style you've got. There's a lot of styles you can't pull off without a certain amount of makeup; the 40's/50's revival, for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 06:54 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,936,438 times
I think there are schools, courses of study, and jobs that require long hours. In these cases I have often seen women just not bothering with all the prissy things that take up time, things that men don't 'have' do to look presentable.

One reason why women wear makeup is to elicit a certain response from those who see her and I tend to think, unless it is an occasion, that heavy makeup and primping often make a woman appear to be not as serious about what she is doing.

It is true that attractive people tend to get ahead. I think, psychologically, if a woman has a male boss she may do better with makeup, but with some female bosses she may do better with less or none.
In my limited observation in corporations most of the heavily made up women, or those who used perfume daily, were in lower paying, less educated, support roles. I guess a woman tries to survive as well as she can by what she estimates as her best attributes.

I think it's easier for a man to accept a woman as an equal if she keeps the makeup to a minimum.

I always, when I see a heavily madeup woman, think she is a bit untrustworthy, while knowing that this is NOT the reaction that she intended and it is totally my projection and probably a huge error. When I have had to purchase a house I have steered away from male realtors who have often tried double talk, and have gravitated toward the older and plainer woman who has a more practical and straight (honest) approach.

Many women just continue the habits they had in their younger days in regards to hair and makeup. Sometimes we are not the best (read: impartial) judges of our own appearance.

Last edited by goldengrain; 07-12-2010 at 07:02 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 07:10 AM

4,721 posts, read 13,612,077 times
Someone who would analytically judge me because I have make up on is someone I would have no interest in getting to know.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:48 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,936,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Someone who would analytically judge me because I have make up on is someone I would have no interest in getting to know.
There is a reason for the saying that first impressions mean a lot. Sometimes that is all the time you get with people. Every one of us has reactions to others/everything during a first impression. Sometimes they are wrong and sometimes they are right on target.

It helps to give us insights into our own and human nature, in general, by examining why we react to people the way we do.

I am reminded of FOX news and how 'tarty' the woman looked when they first started. FOXES response was that men liked 'eye candy'. Well, that did not last long. Now they are going for a more subdued and traditional appearance.

How many female professors wear heavy makeup or perfume to work? How many physicians or lawyers? I think part of this is due to having a full life, but the other may be the impression that they wish to leave with the public. Although she has cultivated a stage persona and it works for her, I would not feel good with Dolly Parton lecturing me in a science class or operating on me or handling a serious lawsuit, and I daresay most of us would feel the same. On the other hand, I cannot visualise Christiane Amanpour selling cosmetics or doing a pole dance.

This is strange, too, but once I passed through my silly 'girly' stage and dropped most of the makeup, I found more attention from men - or at least the men whose opinions I respected. Maybe I was just appreciated for myself and didn't look as though I were gaming them in some way. I found that very odd. Perhaps we reach a stage, when we age, in which we just like to feel secure and comfortable with someone and distrust the 'mask'.

I am a very plain Jane with no makeup. I am frequently mistaken for other people, so I just blend in.

Perhaps our outer appearance should just make a statement about who we think we are and what sort of people we would like to attract. We also like to blend in with our associates and if they are all 'using' chances are, so will we.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:09 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,585,112 times
I have a friend who started wearing makeup when we were in middle school and although she is a cute person, when she takes her make-up off she looks like a different person altogether. She's gotten to the point (and she'll attest to this), where she will not go anywhere without it! It must be uncomfortable to feel like your wearing a mask all the time. wondering how will people react if they don't see me with my makeup?

My skin is super sensitive so that keeps me from makeup most of the time. Now because of the industry I'm in I feel that wearing a little presents a more polished look. Nonetheless, when I do wear it it's very little because I don't want to be the woman who looks completely different without it. I've found that my natural beauty was appreciated more anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss07 View Post
I used to work with this girl who everybody thought was really beautiful physically. She always had makeup on, hair curled, form fitting clothing.

There were a few times where she did not have makeup on, and it was shocking. I heard so many guys say "She's cute, but she needs makeup"
The thing is, she wasn't unattractive, she was cute, but since she always
had dramatic makeup on (deep red lipstick, black eyeliner) her natural face did not look very good looking without it.

I had this other friend who was also like that, except she took it further.
I'm not sure what she used, but she would make her chest about 2 sizes bigger. I always wondered what it was like for guys she was dating. You think she's a c, find out she's an a.

I don't wear makeup but I always wondered about women who wear makeup all the time, especially dramatic makeup.
Do they wear makeup everywhere? Do they know how different they look without it? The remarks guys make about them without it?

Some of these women aren't bad looking, so why wear so much of it?

Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 AM

23 posts, read 14,440 times
makeup make me more confidence.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
I never wear makeup to work except for lip tint or lip gloss. I have clear skin and a good skin tone but my skin is also pretty oily so I would be reapplying it periodically. So I skip that hassle entirely. I do wear minimal makeup when going out or going to an event, usually light foundation, blush, powder, mascara, and lipstick. I never wear eyeshadow or eyeliner because I find it too hard to apply properly due to my poor eyesight.

People are used to seeing me without makeup so it isn't an issue.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:47 PM

86 posts, read 164,575 times
If I'm leaving the house I usually wear a little makeup, although I usually wear very minimal makeup. I just have bad skin and I don't like people to see it so I'll generally wear some foundation, powder and mascara because my eyelashes are blonde and I look weird without it. If I'm working or going out for anything special, I'll also wear eyeshadow and chapstick.

I don't necessarily thing wearing makeup is a bad thing, as it can make women more confident about themselves and feel more attractive, but there is such a thing as wearing too much. When you can't tell who the person is underneath all the paint, then it's probably a bit more than necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or