U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2007, 12:23 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,181,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I never wear makeup. I can't because it makes my eyes burn. Sometimes I wear lipstick when I remember to. I'm glad to see so many women on this thread who don't wear makeup. I'm currently living in Los Angeles, where women wear a lot of makeup. I noticed on the east coast, fewer women wear makeup and a lot of women let their hair go naturally gray too. Anyone here let their hair go gray?
I can't say as I have ever noticed that on the east coast. I also didn't know that you were female. We need to have some sort of club here to find out where we all are

On the east coast it's truly dramatic with the attention to fashion. Out here in Chicago, eh, much much less.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I wear makeup. My features are too dramatic and I end up looking like a painted china doll. I have really dark eyes and nowadays, darker hair, with really white skin. It doesn't add up to anything good, no matter the colouring.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 02:37 PM

2,522 posts, read 32,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I can't say as I have ever noticed that on the east coast. I also didn't know that you were female. We need to have some sort of club here to find out where we all are

On the east coast it's truly dramatic with the attention to fashion. Out here in Chicago, eh, much much less.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I wear makeup. My features are too dramatic and I end up looking like a painted china doll. I have really dark eyes and nowadays, darker hair, with really white skin. It doesn't add up to anything good, no matter the colouring.
I guess I was thinking Massachusetts, not New York.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:42 PM

7,064 posts, read 11,300,343 times
Back when I was in my 20's, I wouldn't be caught going out without makeup.
Now that I'm in my late 40's, I wear minimal makeup and the reason for it is that I'm a fair skinned red head with very light lashes and brows. If I don't wear something on my brows at least, I look like a person without eyebrows. (speaking of brows, I use the powder kind so it doesn't look like I've drawn them on.) I wear lipstick to keep my lips from drying out.
Don't like foundation.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:51 PM

41 posts, read 101,500 times
I don't wear make-up on a regular basis, but if I do wear it, it is very subtle. I'll never forget the time I wore make-up for the first time in a few months and one of my friends looks at my face and goes "Wow, you're actually very pretty, I never noticed that before..." I was like uhhhh?????

So, I suppose that even a little bit of make-up can make a difference.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:27 PM

18,945 posts, read 13,029,177 times
Yeah...I'm one of those that can look like a totally different person with make-up on. It's kinda fun to suprise people with the before and after! I look like a totally different person--I even have eyebrows wihen I decide to put it on....

Old 11-18-2007, 05:03 PM

28 posts, read 51,178 times
I love to wear makeup, but then I like to paint and draw, too. It's an aesthetic thing. I think Chanel makes the most beautiful colors, and they smell wonderful, too. It's fun to try different looks, and there are plenty of times when I'm just doing errands and don't care at all, but I appreciate someone who's taken the time to do a great job of it. Some people say they don't know how to apply makeup, but it takes some effort and education for all of us, I think (unless you're just naturally stunning) -- an acquired skill. I love to see those photos on the tabloids of stars without makeup -- they're so wonderfully ordinary! Gives the rest of us hope.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:02 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,916,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I have never wore make up. I have tried... it made my face itch and made me look like a clown. I am not good with make up or hair...
Right on sista!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:16 AM

6,715 posts, read 7,981,881 times
I wear makeup when I feel like being a bit more dramatic. I own lots of it because I find it fun, but very rarely use it. Even when I do, it's generally more earthy tones- though sometimes I do get funky with my emerald green MAC eyeshadow.

I'm all about the eyes though. I wear lots of eyeliner (generally dark green or black, but occasionally plum or another color) and mascara before I'd wear anything else. I almost never have color on my lips. I'm rather fond of my natural lip color and if I want to make my lips a little more dramatic, I just add a bit of sheer gloss or chapstick. I have allergy-induced redness problems, so I do tend to wear some foundation because otherwise when my face randomly develops zebra stripes of red, it's not as noticeable.

I don't think I really look all that different with makeup and without. I can definitely bring my eyes out a lot more with some eyeshadow, but my eyes are very well defined naturally just by my features. I just like how I can make myself look more sexy, flirty, edgy, or innocent depending on what color and what style of eyeshadow I use.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:02 AM

18,945 posts, read 13,029,177 times
It is definately an art. I use to apply make-up to beauty contestants. It is amazing what a bit of make-up can do. I do enjoy the results. We don't go many places anymore and since I am older I have found that I have little energy and patience to sit infront of the mirror for any amount of time. I would like to get into the habit of putting on make-up a bit more often then I do now. Maybe once we get this house remodeling finished and we start getting out more.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:15 AM

19,333 posts, read 15,829,596 times
I myself dont generally wear a lot of it, but as long as theres lipstick, that works for me. Mascara is my 2nd basic staple 'must have'. Some fields of work would be senseless to wear much of it anyway, such as driving truck or construction, but theres noting wrong with enhancing what you do have, a little, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty