U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:02 PM

13,105 posts, read 17,640,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post
I wear makeup every day. Nothing real dramatic, but I do use eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, the whole works, just in a subtle way. Every once in a while on a Sunday I will only wear foundation, just because I don't feel like hassling with the rest! I happen to be one of those whose skin never realized that it doesn't belong to a teenager anymore! I still get pimples sometimes, and I am 42, so I always wear foundation.

I guess the only fair trade I get is that having the oily, acne prone skin has seemed to keep it younger looking. People usually think I am at least 10 years younger than I am!

I am not so sure it is worth it when you get one of those HUGE UGLY RED ONES RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR FOREHEAD!!!!!!!
omg I so know what you mean lol !!! great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:17 PM

21,137 posts, read 22,107,592 times
I pretty much wear makeup all the time. I have dark circles under my eyes -(which are especially apparent in the winter) no matter how much sleep I get...it's hereditary I think because my dad also has them. I rarely leave the house without concealer, tinted moisturizer, powder and mascara at the minimum. I'm not into the gobs of colorful makeup look but I don't want to look like the walking dead either.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:58 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,468,097 times
HUh. Interesting revived thread.

I spend a lot of time outdoors, sweating, so I rarely wear make-up. Unless you count my SPF 15 moisturizer? I wear lip balm too, sometimes tinted if I am feeling frisky.

I think I've answered this question on another thread, but when I do go out I dab some concealer under my eyes, put on my favorite chunky black glasses and berry-red lipstick. I might do a deep russet/brown in fall/winter.

The older I get, the less I like the way make-up looks on my face.

There are a couple of nice things about being nearly makeup free:

I once had a BF tell me that he loved the fact that I went to bed looking one way....and woke up the next morning looking pretty much the same (and yes he meant that as a compliment. ).

My current SO is just thrilled that I can be dressed and out the door in ~15 min flat, including a shower.

Oddest tidbit: I once worked as a makeup artist.

Last edited by plaidmom; 05-07-2009 at 07:09 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 07:03 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,145,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Makeup always makes women look better. Have you ever seen those supermarket tabloid pictures of actresses without makeup...scary! Please ladies keep wearing makeup, it's one of the greatest inventions ever. I don't even mind when I see women applying makeup while driving a car, as long as she pays attention to the road after the light changes.
Just because actresses look terrible without makeup doesn't mean that all women do. For the record, men wear makeup in movies - maybe ALL men should wear makeup.

I mind it when women are putting their faces on in the car. Even stopped, you have to be mindful of the road.

It's been a while since I posted.. so I'll update my makeup usage: Eyeliner, silver shimmer eyeshadow. No more mascara unless I'm going out. Sometimes I'll put on a duo of eye colors when I'm having a good day.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:00 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Makeup always makes women look better. Have you ever seen those supermarket tabloid pictures of actresses without makeup...scary! Please ladies keep wearing makeup, it's one of the greatest inventions ever. I don't even mind when I see women applying makeup while driving a car, as long as she pays attention to the road after the light changes.
No, it doesn't, at least not absolutely. It depends on how it's applied. Makeup poorly done can make a woman look absolutely terrible and garish, and a fresh face would be better.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:02 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
HUh. Interesting revived thread.

I spend a lot of time outdoors, sweating, so I rarely wear make-up. Unless you count my SPF 15 moisturizer? I wear lip balm too, sometimes tinted if I am feeling frisky.

I think I've answered this question on another thread, but when I do go out I dab some concealer under my eyes, put on my favorite chunky black glasses and berry-red lipstick. I might do a deep russet/brown in fall/winter.

The older I get, the less I like the way make-up looks on my face.

There are a couple of nice things about being nearly makeup free:

I once had a BF tell me that he loved the fact that I went to bed looking one way....and woke up the next morning looking pretty much the same (and yes he meant that as a compliment. ).

My current SO is just thrilled that I can be dressed and out the door in ~15 min flat, including a shower.

Oddest tidbit: I once worked as a makeup artist.
I concur with all this. It makes life easier to be as low maintenance as possible.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:13 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,961,295 times
uh huh-You read my mind?? LOL I was about to post and ask just what men could do for us women so they would look better.
Great idea--men who insist on women wearing make-up, should wear it themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Just because actresses look terrible without makeup doesn't mean that all women do. For the record, men wear makeup in movies - maybe ALL men should wear makeup.

I mind it when women are putting their faces on in the car. Even stopped, you have to be mindful of the road.

It's been a while since I posted.. so I'll update my makeup usage: Eyeliner, silver shimmer eyeshadow. No more mascara unless I'm going out. Sometimes I'll put on a duo of eye colors when I'm having a good day.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:14 PM

3,469 posts, read 6,935,218 times
I've never seen any woman who did not look better with some makeup.
One major reason the women who wear a lot of it & all the time look sooo much worse without it is because you are used to them made-up. When it comes to women who don't wear makeup, or very little & not everyday, you are already used to them without it, just as you are used to seeing men. If you saw those women made up, you might be shocked in a good way, because they would be dramatically improved.

The beauty standards for women are HIGH, so many women wear makeup to meet them. A lot of women may be cute without makeup, but few are gorgeous. Plus, a little makeup is generally regarded as a part of the grooming process for a woman, much like combing your hair or wearing deodorant.

I don't go in public without a little makeup. I like my skin to look flawless, and it just isn't without makeup (very few people have flawless skin past the age of 12). A little powder/foundation & blush is enough on days when I don't feel like having more fun with the colors or if I don't have time. I'm a bit of a perfectionist though, I admit it. If someone comes over & I don't have my face on, it doesn't bother me to be seen though. I've found I am far more critical of myself than other people are of me.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:22 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,802,483 times
I wouldnt even go out to walk the dog without a little make up. Without it I am downright plain. I don't wear foundation(if you take good care of your skin and don't have acne scars, its really not necessary) but I do wear a little neutral shadow, liner and brow corrector topped off with a little lip gloss. 5 minutes and I am set for the day.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,993,535 times
Hmmn...

I have not painted myself in many years. Yes - I do look entirely different with a skilled application and loved the effect it had, but nowadays am comfortable with myself in the natural state...I don't need 'the face' anymore.
It took quite a while to be so self-assured. Not meaning conceit but that I am alright with what I see.

If I were to have an event worth getting decked out for - then I would accent my features to keep with the attire, but for the every day...unneccesary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or