U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:35 PM

557 posts, read 2,262,870 times

Advertisements

Generally, the female of the species is less colorful than the males--some of us need a little makeup to look our best. Without eyemakeup, some blush and lipstick, I look "faded". Also notice that men don't look at me when I'm not wearing it! But since I've moved to the country AND I'm a little older, I'm okay with going out in public once in a while sans makeup--with age comes confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 12:13 AM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
I think I look better with a little makeup on. Frankly I think most women, if not all, do as well. Doesn't mean I wear it all the time, but generally, unless I'm just working around the house on the weekend, I wear a little. I prefer that it look pretty natural though...not heavy - I sure would never call it "painting". I don't like to wear eyeshadow for that reason - it just looks too unnatural on me.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:43 AM

9,718 posts, read 5,646,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
For me make-up definately makes a BIG difference. Although I rarely wear it now. Being blonde with blond eyelashes and very little eyebrows make-up sure does improve my looks. Also foundation evens out a persons skin as they get older. But nowdays I save the make-up for when we go out and not an everyday thing. I guess as a person gets older they just except how they look naturally better...or we get lazy!!
My feelings exactly. It is what it is and if I had to cover up all the imperfections I would look like a clown

Old 05-09-2009, 02:58 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,936,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I have never wore make up. I have tried... it made my face itch and made me look like a clown. I am not good with make up or hair...
I noticed that some of the 'do-over' cosmetic places put way too much on people, and they do look clownish.

I only wear foundation at special occaisions, but a tiny bit of eyeliner - actually I have a flat wedge shaped good sable brush. I apply a drop of water to a dark dry caked eye shadow, just enough to get a fine line on that brush and kind of dab it on as eyeliner. It gives control, even if you are old and your eyelids are wrinkly or if your lashes are blonde and you require a very light application.

A few very light short strokes with the soft brow pencil - just to give shape to my light brows.

Then, a bit of blush and MAYBE some lipstick or colored gloss.

This takes a very short time and leaves you looking natural but more defined.

Yeah, I detest that plastered on look. On tv all those fake lashes look swell, but in person and in sunlight they look like hell. You look at the person and wonder who they really are - what they are hiding? Why can't they show their true face? Sometimes people give that reaction to a guy with a beard. This is the female equivilant to that, in my mind.

Last edited by goldengrain; 05-09-2009 at 03:14 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i wear makeup everywhere i go and am pretty sure that i would not get complimented so much if i left the house without it. i do see some women that are very naturally pretty and good for them if they don't need anything.
Some woman just do not feel that being compliemented is important in their lives - either giving or receiving.

I guess we all might have different ideas of what is 'needed'.

I have a friend who sometimes piles it on and sometimes goes without. When she is thick with it, it seems like a wall to be gotten through. I think it's fine on special occaisions, but for day to day wear too much of it speaks of a basic insecurity to me.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:52 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,459,169 times
A friend of mine was big on makeup and she sold Avon. I met her as an Avon rep, so thought it was because she was demonstrating the stuff she sold. After she stopped doing Avon, she still wore makeup and one day when I dropped in on her early in the morning, she came to the door with a paper bag over her head and two holes so she could see me. She said she wouldn't dare be seen without her makeup. Well, after she let me in, she took the bag off and I saw what she meant. She had blemishes and scars on her face that I had never seen. Her makeup covered those completely. Her eyes looked lifeless and dull until she added mascara and liner. She wore three layers and two shades of lipstick and was adept at applying everything she used to the point that most folks thought she was easy on the makeup. I watched her put her face on that morning and immediately wondered if maybe I should learn her techniques. I never did.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:25 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,509,642 times
I never wear makeup because it makes my eyes burn, everything from foundation to eyeliner to shadow, so I had to stop. I wear a little bit of lipstick, but that's all I can tolerate. I would love to be able to put some foundation on, but oh, well. Vera Wang doesn't wear makeup either and she always looks stylish, so if it's good enough for her....

Old 05-09-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I never wear makeup because it makes my eyes burn, everything from foundation to eyeliner to shadow, so I had to stop. I wear a little bit of lipstick, but that's all I can tolerate. I would love to be able to put some foundation on, but oh, well. Vera Wang doesn't wear makeup either and she always looks stylish, so if it's good enough for her....
Not that you should spend time in the sun, but women who always wear makeup sometimes have a sallow complexion without it because the skin never sees the light of day.

Almay hypoallergetic makeup always made me break out, but the normal stuff did not. Go figure.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:01 PM

413 posts, read 1,189,739 times
I wear a little make up but not a lot. It looks worse than no makeup when women wear a ton of it. Makeup is supposed to enhance your looks not make you look like the circus is in town.

I had a boss that came in without makeup and she would make Casper the Friendly Ghost look like he had color.

As for actresses without makeup, look for the picture of Joan Collins without makeup. That is really bad she even shaves her eyebrows off and draws back on. I like it when they show the actresses without the makeup because they don't look so perfect. Too many young girls have this idea they are less than because they don't look perfect like some celeb.

I have to disagree with makeup always makes a woman look better. I knew a 70 something woman who never wore makeup and she looked years younger than her age. Her skin was beautiful. Sometimes the natural face is better than the made up one.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:12 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,310,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss07 View Post
I used to work with this girl who everybody thought was really beautiful physically. She always had makeup on, hair curled, form fitting clothing.

There were a few times where she did not have makeup on, and it was shocking. I heard so many guys say "She's cute, but she needs makeup"
The thing is, she wasn't unattractive, she was cute, but since she always
had dramatic makeup on (deep red lipstick, black eyeliner) her natural face did not look very good looking without it.

I had this other friend who was also like that, except she took it further.
I'm not sure what she used, but she would make her chest about 2 sizes bigger. I always wondered what it was like for guys she was dating. You think she's a c, find out she's an a.

I don't wear makeup but I always wondered about women who wear makeup all the time, especially dramatic makeup.
Do they wear makeup everywhere? Do they know how different they look without it? The remarks guys make about them without it?

Some of these women aren't bad looking, so why wear so much of it?
If you started out seeing someone without makeup you wouldn't think they look bad without it in most cases. My sister used to wear a ton and when she quit, I thought she looked too bare faced. When I got used to it, I really started seeing her true beauty. I was shocked. I started wearing almost none myself at that point. I like it much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or