U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:13 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times

Advertisements

im not scared i can take it, well not early in the morning, i mean im tough but not bullet proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 10:42 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,116,890 times
I used to wear foundation, shadow, liner, mascara, powder, lip liner, lipstick - the whole gamut. Applied one way, the liner could look 'natural', applied another, It would make my eyes look HUGE. I wore different 'day' and evening and night 'faces'.

Then I got a lupus lesion; a big open sore with scar tissue underneath Nothing covers it - not even professionally-applied - and nothing will even cling to it; just skims right off. So I stopped wearing makeup. It took some getting used to from folks who had never seen me without it, but I feel so much better not having that stuff on my face!

I am actually kind of glad I got the lesion; for years I would go into sepsis and have to have surgeries to remove that tissue, and no one knew why. (Lupus is hard to detect unless you are in the middle of an episode.) Once I got the lesion, I was fairly easy to diagnose! It isn't pretty - I never thought of myself as attractive anyway - but I can still work. I even interviewed for a new job, in a town where no one knew me or had ever seen me with makeup or without the lesion, and got it with no problem. Surface things really don't matter.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:21 AM

3,469 posts, read 6,936,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Not that you should spend time in the sun, but women who always wear makeup sometimes have a sallow complexion without it because the skin never sees the light of day.

Almay hypoallergetic makeup always made me break out, but the normal stuff did not. Go figure.
Hmmm....I notice women who wear makeup age better and have less sun damage their skin. Most foundation has SPF, and it acts as a barrier not just for the sun, but the elements in general (pollution, dirt, wind, etc).

Old 05-10-2009, 06:28 AM

413 posts, read 1,189,905 times
I guess if you use a trowel to put your makeup on with than your skin will look better. Nothing could get in there.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:48 PM

429 posts, read 599,239 times
i usually wear makeup.in fact i almost never go a day without it except during the summer.im not homely or ugly just have fair skin and think i look tired and washed out if i dont .Matter of fact the one day i chose to go without to work everyone asked me if i was feeling ok.....

Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
There was a stretch of time when I was a teenager, probably ages 15-18, where I was less than secure about my appearance, like a lot of girls at that age, and you could in absolutely no way have convinced me that showing my face in public without makeup was remotely an option. I wouldn't so much as run into the post office or sit out in my yard without a full face of makeup, and I would have been paralyzingly self-conscious if ANYbody, even family members, saw me barefaced.

Holy crap, I'm so glad that at 18, I enrolled in a hippie, crunchy granola college where nobody bothered with makeup, and just kind of let it all go. I can't imagine living like that for the long term.

Do I like makeup? Sure, it's fun. Do I wear it? From time to time. Do I ever feel like I HAVE TO wear it? Nah. Not at all. I look fine either way. I'm inordinately proud of my very pale, porcelain complexion, and throwing any real foundation makeup on that always looks artificial and masklike, even in the lightest shades. Goes without saying that I'm not a bronzer girl. I suspect that where others see "pale and washed out," I see "unusual and ethereal."

Old 05-11-2009, 12:42 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshfield mom View Post
i usually wear makeup.in fact i almost never go a day without it except during the summer.im not homely or ugly just have fair skin and think i look tired and washed out if i dont .Matter of fact the one day i chose to go without to work everyone asked me if i was feeling ok.....

I had to hurry to a work meeting one night after I had just taken a shower, and I didn't have time to put on makeup or do my hair. The minute I walked in 3 people asked if I was feeling alright. At the time it was a huge blow to my self esteem, but now I'd just laugh it off.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:18 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,069,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I had to hurry to a work meeting one night after I had just taken a shower, and I didn't have time to put on makeup or do my hair. The minute I walked in 3 people asked if I was feeling alright. At the time it was a huge blow to my self esteem, but now I'd just laugh it off.
I hear ya! If I happen to run into people who are used to seeing me in make-up and I'm not wearing it at the time, I quite often am asked if I feel ok, or they tell me I look tired. I won't deny that make-up makes me look better, but I've gotten more comfortable with my looks, so it doesn't bother me anymore to be "caught" without it.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:27 PM

413 posts, read 1,189,905 times
I have trouble finding the right foundation that goes with my skin tone so I usually only wear eye makeup. I have a light olive complexion so I look fine without it.

I have noticed as I have gotten older, I don't really don't want to waste all that time putting on makeup. I will if it is a special occasion but not to just go to the store. Who really cares what other people think it is what you think about yourself that matters. If you think you look great without makeup go for it.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:36 PM

458 posts, read 1,136,602 times
I can't talk for them, but for me personally, I don't wear much if any at all. I am low maintenance. If I wear make-up it would be mascara and lip gloss, unless I am going out for the evening then I will wear a little more. I am a very active person, do a lot of physical work and make-up only makes my face shine when I sweat a little and it makes me feel gross, besides when I am hanging off a cliff, it is not my face my husband is looking at LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or