U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,936,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Hmmm....I notice women who wear makeup age better and have less sun damage their skin. Most foundation has SPF, and it acts as a barrier not just for the sun, but the elements in general (pollution, dirt, wind, etc).
Good point.
Makes sense.

I don't wear it, but sometimes I very lightly go over my face with a soft toothbrush. It seems to do a light dermabrasion or get into the pores better, because it really cleans but does not feel harsh.

I imagine that if I wore makeup, instead of harsh astringents or clogging creams I might use the toothbrush. Have they developed something to clean eye and face makeup that is not pore clogging or astringent?

I'm not trying to be insulting. When I was young I tried makeup but thought none of the potions to remove it were good for my skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 01:14 PM

2,002 posts, read 3,985,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss07 View Post

I don't wear makeup but I always wondered about women who wear makeup all the time, especially dramatic makeup.
Do they wear makeup everywhere? Do they know how different they look without it? The remarks guys make about them without it?

Some of these women aren't bad looking, so why wear so much of it?
No idea. I don't wear makeup either. Only for formal presentations or things like that, and even then, very light mascara, lipgloss, etc.

I agree with Belinda_Cooperstone1. When practicing sports, makeup is not your best friend xD

Old 05-12-2009, 01:48 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,325,868 times
I've never really been a big make-up wearer. Just some eyeliner under the eyes (never on the lids since I have thick dark lashes to begin with), and very occasionally some chap stick or something with a bit of color in it or lipstick.

There's a girl I see around my college all the time who I think is, quite frankly, hot. She's very pretty naturally, tall, great body, but she always wears a bit too much makeup (fake lashes, too much eyeliner, mascara, cover up, eye shadow, ect). She'd look a lot better without it all IMO! It's not like it looks like clown makeup or anything (I see lots of girls wearing too much make up and they look like clowns), but it's too much.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:38 PM

3,856 posts, read 4,277,751 times
I see a lot of comments saying women who wear makeup are insecure. My observations have been just the opposite. I have found women with makeup tend to be the most outgoing, social, and confident.

It seems the majority of women here wear litte or no makeup. Do you think this is just a reflection of the older demographics of this board? I say that because I see a lot of "when I was younger I wore makeup" comments. Or do you think there is a mass movement underway where women are using less cosmetics than ever? I sure hope it is the former not the latter since I really appreciate how great women look wearing makeup. I found the comments Peru made about the women at her college wearing "clown makeup" to be comforting. This must mean makeup use is still widespread, at least among the younger generation. I would bet anything I would find the woman Peru says wears too much makeup to be very attractive, more so than if she went for the plain jane natural look.

I asked my girlfriend (who is an avid makeup user) why some women don't wear makeup these days. She blamed men. She said there are a lot of controlling men who say things like "Don't be so high maintnence, don't wear all that makeup". A website I found for men who have an appreciation for women who wear lipstick came to the same conclusion. They blamed blue collar men in particular for constantly telling women not to wear makeup. They said some men get intimidated by a well polished, put together, pretty woman. So do you think on some level, women are choosing not to wear makeup to please these domineering controlling men?

Tabula Rasa mentioned she wore makeup until she attended a hippie, crunchy granola college. So would it be fair to say a woman who is not wearing makeup is making a left wing political statement? It seems when I was younger it was more the conservative women who wore less makeup, in particular they didn't want their young daughters to wear makeup. But something changed several years ago where the natural look became associated with liberalism/political correctness.

I know, you probably think I am overanalyzing this. You think all these choices are made by individual women with no regard to what any man thinks, their opinions of makeup are meaningless.. Maybe that's true to some degree. But I think there are always cultural forces that play a huge role in this and every other style trend and consumer choice. You can pretend these cultural forces don't exist if you wish but they are still there there and they do have influence.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:40 PM

460 posts, read 696,751 times
I only wear makeup to work. I can't get the study that women who conform and wear makeup are better compensated. I'm not arguing that study is right; it just stuck with me & prompts me to do it.

Outside of work, eyeliner and lipgloss

Old 05-12-2009, 06:48 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,145,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It seems the majority of women here wear litte or no makeup. Do you think this is just a reflection of the older demographics of this board?
I don't think it's a reflection of age at all. After all, I'm only 22 and only like to play up my eyes. My un-even skin doesn't bother me as much as how dead I look without at least eye liner on.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 PM

11,628 posts, read 17,040,226 times
The trick is to be able to apply the make up correctly and in moderation. I used to never wear makeup. I have dark hair and eyes and very defined eye brows and long eye lashes so even if I don't wear makeup I still look "ok"
A couple of months ago a lady at work made my whole face up. She used eye liner, mascara, foundation, eye shadow and lipstick and I have never had so many people telling me how great I looked. They were floored. I kept it up but only use eyeliner and mascara on a daily base. If a person have good futures, makeup can make that persons face look gorgeous. A plane Jane's face can suddenly become anything but plane Jane and it does not take much to make it that way. 10 minutes every morning. That's it.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:58 AM

458 posts, read 1,136,391 times
Jay

I think that what you said can be true for some women. But not all or most. And if a woman was not wearing make-up because of her husband/BF she may not admit that. I personally don't wear makeup or very little because of the active lifestyle I lead, it just does not fit in for me personally.

As for aging better as one poster said, I think that is true for woman who wear no makeup or no sunscreen. I always make sure I wear sunscreen on my face. But I do agree with you that women who don't wear either makeup or sunscreen do seem to age a little faster because of sun damage.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 AM

917 posts, read 2,048,820 times
Jay... I'm about as far left as one can get politically and I always wear makeup when I'm leaving the house, not loads, but eyeliner, mascara and at least blush. As for skin aging better, yes that's probably true as I'm nearly 59 and have very few wrinkles. I have teenage daughters and they would be horrified if I went the no makeup route, and I just feel more put together with it on.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:42 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,371,938 times
I also wear makeup every single day. It is not anything extreme, just a very natural look. I am a fair skinned redhead and if I don't wear eye makeup, I look extremely washed out since my eyelashes are invisible without mascara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or