U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 02:49 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,939,671 times

Advertisements

I am old. I see much less makeup on women in the streets of the city than I did when I was young.
In my younger years I wore it often and some woman of my generation are still wearing it. Some say you can tell a woman's age by her hair and makeup choices because those often reflect what she wore in her 'prime'.
I think that women are professional now and many do not find the daily ritual at all pleasant, but only an added chore. As mentioned above, when folks are accustomed to seeing you with it, they miss it, but if you seldom wear it you get compliments on the special occaisions when you might welcome them more.
I do not remember any man in my life commenting one way or another about it and always considered it my choice - but then I tell my husband that I don't care if he has facial hair or shaved his head or let his hair grow long or decided to color it. Why should I? They are his posessions.
I would think differently if there were a dress code during employment, but that is a different case. Woman at work who wore the stuff were sometimes dating guys at work.
I do have this thing in my mind that daily prep time ought to be about the same for guys and gals.
The time that men take shaving is made up for with the shorter hair, more easily managed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 05:51 PM

3,469 posts, read 6,936,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Good point.
Makes sense.

I don't wear it, but sometimes I very lightly go over my face with a soft toothbrush. It seems to do a light dermabrasion or get into the pores better, because it really cleans but does not feel harsh.

I imagine that if I wore makeup, instead of harsh astringents or clogging creams I might use the toothbrush. Have they developed something to clean eye and face makeup that is not pore clogging or astringent?

I'm not trying to be insulting. When I was young I tried makeup but thought none of the potions to remove it were good for my skin.
My makeup washes off easily with Cetaphil face wash, which is very gentle. I wear everyday minerals makeup which is really light & natural looking.

I use DHC deep cleansing oil to gently remove eye makeup. It's not pore clogging (it's a myth that all oils are bad or clog pores).

Pure jojoba oil is good too, but it isn't completly water soluble, so it leaves a bit of a residue (not bad if you're prone to dry skin; it's very moistuizing & doesn't clog pores either).

My skin is very sensitive, so I cannot use any kind of scrub or dermabrasion. It reacts very badly.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 PM

413 posts, read 1,189,905 times
I can remember when I was growing up the ritual my mom would do before she left for work. She always wore makeup and fixed her hair. It was almost mandatory that a woman back in the day wore make up, had her hair done and had all the right undergarments on. That was then now it is a womans' choice as to whether or not she wears makeup.

I don't think it has anything to do with security or insecurity it is a choice. I know some very secure women who have never worn make up and vice versa. I can understand if your coloring is washed out and you use it to add some.

How this economy is, makeup etc is down the list of things to buy anymore. Don't get me wrong I love eye makeup, foundation I have never found a shade that fit my coloring, love lipstick and blush. But cosmetics have gotten so expensive and they don't last long.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:45 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,939,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
My makeup washes off easily with Cetaphil face wash, which is very gentle. I wear everyday minerals makeup which is really light & natural looking.

I use DHC deep cleansing oil to gently remove eye makeup. It's not pore clogging (it's a myth that all oils are bad or clog pores).

Pure jojoba oil is good too, but it isn't completly water soluble, so it leaves a bit of a residue (not bad if you're prone to dry skin; it's very moistuizing & doesn't clog pores either).

My skin is very sensitive, so I cannot use any kind of scrub or dermabrasion. It reacts very badly.
I will keep this info. It seems as though DHC handles everything.
Thank you very much.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:28 AM

413 posts, read 1,189,905 times
Where can you buy DHC? I have not heard of it. I have used Cetaphil and it works great.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,469 times
Default ceramicsgreeh

Sometimes I wear make up sometimes no. Do, wear lipstick most of the time as lips have no glands and lips become very dry and uncomfortable.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,391 times
I think it's so unfair when I see these twin girls with perfect long black eyelashes, curledto perfection without the aid of any curler or mascara! One of them doesn't sweat uner her arms or anywhere, even when she's nervous. Not much at least, and deffinateely not under her arms! She has wonderfully curled hair, dark brown, beautiful. She has NEVER had a sunburn in her life! Athletic, smart, pretty, seemingly perfect and she could have any guy she wants, likewise with her twi sister. The seemingly perfect barbie-doll, fresh, young looking face and lashes make her seem unreal. She, however has small, barely even there breasts (no, I have not purposely looked there, hard not to when she practicing her cheer moves in front of you and asking you if her boobs look small! yes she asked.) She also has a terrible singing voice, though she thinks it's wonderful. Her hair, though clean and naturaly curly, parts weirdly in the back making a Y- like part. Yes, I'm a girl and I'm the straightest person you'll ever see, but I just sometimes envy her looks, because though she may have flaws, they are overshadowed by her various quallities. And she's nice, so I can't hate her.....I guess I must just learn to live with what God gave me, blonde unevenly curling even w/ curler eyelashes, excessively sweating armpits that sweat any time even when I'm not nervous, sunburn prone uneven toned sometimes pimpled skin, my lukewarm metablism that puts a bit of love-handles on me, semi naturally curley dark blonde hair. But I know I have my quallities too, nicely arched eyebrows, long if blonde eyelashes, a wonderful singing voice, nice-sized breasts, semi hour-glassed figure, I'm abnormally fast at running, stronger than any girl my ageand most guys, smarter than any girl my age and possiblyany guy my age, athletic, blue, light green, brown, yellow, and dark green flecked eyes that change color with my emotions. Among others. I know God created us all different and I try to see it that way, but I don't like the way I look without makeup.I must just be weird to look at in such depth and length. Hope you enjoy though!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:46 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think that women are professional now and many do not find the daily ritual at all pleasant, but only an added chore.
I think this is a lot of it. I simply am busy enough, and am not about to build in the time regularly for elaborate routines that aren't really that necessary...I look fine as I am.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 PM

3,225 posts, read 6,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss07 View Post
I used to work with this girl who everybody thought was really beautiful physically. She always had makeup on, hair curled, form fitting clothing.

There were a few times where she did not have makeup on, and it was shocking. I heard so many guys say "She's cute, but she needs makeup"
The thing is, she wasn't unattractive, she was cute, but since she always
had dramatic makeup on (deep red lipstick, black eyeliner) her natural face did not look very good looking without it.

I had this other friend who was also like that, except she took it further.
I'm not sure what she used, but she would make her chest about 2 sizes bigger. I always wondered what it was like for guys she was dating. You think she's a c, find out she's an a.

I don't wear makeup but I always wondered about women who wear makeup all the time, especially dramatic makeup.
Do they wear makeup everywhere? Do they know how different they look without it? The remarks guys make about them without it?

Some of these women aren't bad looking, so why wear so much of it?
I had a friend who did this also-she used these things she bought at Fredericks of Hollywood that are kinda like implants. They're like rubbery silicone boob things that you slip in your bra and they make you look a couple of cups bigger. Supposedly most Hollywood stars and TV actresses use them (the ones who don't have implants already). They're really weird. She always wore them. I jokingly told her it's false advertisingwjat happens when the guy goes to feel you up?

I don't wear make-up other than a coat of black mascara, a dust of highlighting powder over my cheekbones, and chapstick-I've often been told I look better without it. Sometimes I like to wear a good red lipstick, and people I know will do a double-take. Anything more feels too heavy and I immediately want to wash it off.

Frederick's of Hollywood - Full Breast Enhancers

Old 06-10-2009, 04:45 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,969,104 times
When I started losing my sight I had my eyeliner and lipstick tattooed on. I am now totally blind and am able to apply mascara, evening powder & blush very competently. I ENJOY make up and know that I created quite a stir at the Blind school when I requested help in applying make up (I guess no one had ever requested this class before!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or