U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:46 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
That's so funny! If I had blonde eyelashes, I'd be so proud of them! I'd definitely not cover up something so rare and beautiful. As a Native American, I have beautiful eyelashes and eyebrows, and have never altered them. And mine are just plain-ol' black ones.

But honestly, it never even dawned on me, until this moment, that some women actually try to hide their blonde eyelashes. Why? To impress other women? That greasy crud women put on their faces surely can't be enhancing their attractiveness to men.
Because blonde lashes disappear, and eyelashes make your eyes pop out more. Brown mascara looks great to enhance your eyes. As does a darker brow pencil to help your brows create that frame for your face. Especially when blond.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 10:09 AM

11,426 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Because blonde lashes disappear, and eyelashes make your eyes pop out more. Brown mascara looks great to enhance your eyes. As does a darker brow pencil to help your brows create that frame for your face. Especially when blond.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Yep. With out mascara I have small eyes. A little mascara and my eyes show up. For my pale skin and coloring, black mascara is way too harsh -- I also no longer like the way I look in black clothing, I feel it's aging -- so I wear brown black from Loreal. Brown mascara, although findable -- looks auburn red on me. It does make me crazy when I see makeup people declaring as law we all need to wear black mascara.

I also really prefer my mascara applied with a light hand. Volumizing is too heavy. My lashes have thinned naturally with age, so I much prefer lengthening -- That new telescopic one is perfect, but I hate hate hate the rubber bristle brush. I switched out a regular brush from an older mascara. The top fits on, but doesn't turn. Since I get a new mascara every three months I can't imagine it will make much a difference.

And eye brows? As a blonde, what is happening more than grey ones popping up, is the fact the pigment is fading. I just can't get the hang of pencil or powder, so once a month I dye my brows with beard dye.

BE VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL -- IT'S DANGEROUS. On the eye I am working on, I hold the eye closed with a cotton pad, apply the mixture to the brow and do the clean up under the brow to not stain the skin and make sure the mixture is in the brow hair and won't drip down. You don't need to cover the hair thickly, you just need to cover the hair. DO NOT GET THIS STUFF IN YOUR EYES.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:02 PM

1,999 posts, read 9,194,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Ever been to S. America? Esp Brazil/Argentina/Venezuela??
Just got back from Buenos Aires last month. Stayed in the wealthiest area which is Recoleta. Noticed the makeup I saw on women was very natural looking. I definitely got the impression they were into the natural look.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,801,900 times
I never leave the house without eye makeup....shadow, liner and brow color. Other than that, I may use a dab of concealer here and there, but no more than maybe a bit of blush.

I once had an older make expert tell me something that has always stuck with me. She said, "the best make up you can imagine is great skin. Take care of it and you will hardly need any make up." Her words have proven to be true...for me, at least.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:06 PM

2,385 posts, read 5,567,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I never leave the house without eye makeup....shadow, liner and brow color. Other than that, I may use a dab of concealer here and there, but no more than maybe a bit of blush.

I once had an older make expert tell me something that has always stuck with me. She said, "the best make up you can imagine is great skin. Take care of it and you will hardly need any make up." Her words have proven to be true...for me, at least.
Agree... When you have smooth, flawless skin, you don't need to cover it up any more.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:29 PM

12,635 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Just got back from Buenos Aires last month. Stayed in the wealthiest area which is Recoleta. Noticed the makeup I saw on women was very natural looking. I definitely got the impression they were into the natural look.
Brazilians? Not hardly, not even close. You may have seen some, or seen what you only wanted to see, but I assure you Brazilian women wear plenty of cosmetics.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:47 AM

4,810 posts, read 5,434,536 times
Russian women are known for wearing lots of makeup.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:55 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,573,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I've traveled to about 30 countries by now, and I am beginning to realize that--when it comes to cosmetics--women here in America wear more eyemakeup and cosmetics in general than women from any other country that I've been in.
Is there anyone on here that has an opinion on that? I'd be curious to find out how others see it.
Are you kidding me? Have you seen South Korean women?

Old 09-29-2013, 04:08 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,482,726 times
Face makeup (foundation) in America today is generally more conservatively applied than years ago. The trend is tinted moisterizers and light weight primers that can be worn alone or with a mineral based powder. I am not seeing heavy makeup being worn by women friends and family. This could be a socio- economic matter as well. Several of my friends wear mineral powder and a swipe of bronzer and mascara and that is it. I don't see women, young or old, with packed on poorly applied make-up...at least where I live. The only overly made up women that I see are either on stage, on television or working at the high end department store makeup counters.

There is a huge emphasis on skin care in America....cleansing moisterizing and exfoliating oh yes and SPF is mandatory when going outside.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,482,726 times
This is why women (of all ages) wear make-up - they generally look better, eyes more vibrant, skin tone evened out, bags and dark circles under eyes hidden, sparse eyebrows and thin eyelashes enhanced.

30 Fairly Shocking Pictures of Celebrities Without Makeup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty