U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:53 PM

24,479 posts, read 28,808,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
That's so funny! If I had blonde eyelashes, I'd be so proud of them! I'd definitely not cover up something so rare and beautiful. As a Native American, I have beautiful eyelashes and eyebrows, and have never altered them. And mine are just plain-ol' black ones.

Our sons seem to be uninterested in any female who's not blonde-all-over. Hair merely fading-to-blonde will not do. Golden down on forearms? White eyelashes? REQUISITES. So, any female wearing mascara is automatically outside their 'range'. UNTOUCHABLE. Their sister says they can't even 'maintain' with a female wearing obvious makeup. "Mom, by the time they were fourteen, they knew from experience that girls in makeup were filthy skanks so nasty they might as well be smokers. In fact, I think they associate makeup with the little cig-smokin' pieces they were doing, before they got muscles and could be selective." And they certainly had enough "experience". When we built a bigger home, we surrounded it with a wall, because we were tired of girls crawling into their bedroom windows.

Funny thing. When we lived in a neighborhood of big-&-cheap spec. house McMansions, the girls we'd catch them with had on so much eye makeup they looked like raccoons. (And, even when I didn't catch them, I'd know they'd been there, because there would be makeup smudges on the pillowcases.). But when we moved into a gated enclave of houses triple the average price in the old subdivision, I'd walk into the poolhouse kitchen, and see nothing but well-scrubbed faces on the girls who'd crawled in over the wall. Maybe the wall selected for a more athletic kinda girl. Maybe it was the better neighborhood. Anyway, it was progress!

But honestly, it never even dawned on me, until this moment, that some women actually try to hide their blonde eyelashes. Why? To impress other women? That greasy crud women put on their faces surely can't be enhancing their attractiveness to men.
I don't see it as "hiding" blond eyelashes, but making whatever eyelashes they have more visible. Most parents don't need to build walls to keep girls out of their son's rooms. Maybe a little limit-setting or discipline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 02:43 AM

2,385 posts, read 5,586,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
This is why women (of all ages) wear make-up - they generally look better, eyes more vibrant, skin tone evened out, bags and dark circles under eyes hidden, sparse eyebrows and thin eyelashes enhanced.

30 Fairly Shocking Pictures of Celebrities Without Makeup
I can't believe how ordinary they look without make up.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:57 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,517,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I can't believe how ordinary they look without make up.
I know! Makeup applied expertly can transform just about anyone. Those after pictures reflect women who have layers and layers of expertly applied make-up....moisrerizers, minimizers, concealors, hiighlighters, foundation, countour products, powders, btonzers, blushers.....not to mention the eye and brow makeup, finishing sprays, etc.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:07 AM

67 posts, read 75,603 times
Grandview Gloria - Its not about hiding the eye lashes. As someone else stated I think its just highlighting and accentuating what you have.

For me I like the native looking girls. Are you single ?

Old 10-01-2013, 01:24 PM

811 posts, read 984,052 times
I will be as blunt as possible. Women in this country are a unique kind. I've never seen ones who have hated their skin complexion so much.

When I was dating, it was absolutely impossible for me to see a girl without some foundation on her. She simply won't let me look at her without make up, especially in the morning. So I only have to speculate that most of the women look scary without make up. When you walk into the streets of NYC and notice that 90% of the women look super attractive, that's not at all normal. It's 45 min to an hour of skin work.

When I sleep over at the girlfriend's house, one of the first things she does when she gets up is apply make up (even before peeing ). Fortunately for me, she looks pretty even without it, except that the smooth foundation effect is not there.

It's just because they have been socialized that way owing to constant peer and tv pressure.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:09 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,835,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
I will be as blunt as possible. Women in this country are a unique kind. I've never seen ones who have hated their skin complexion so much.

When I was dating, it was absolutely impossible for me to see a girl without some foundation on her. She simply won't let me look at her without make up, especially in the morning. So I only have to speculate that most of the women look scary without make up. When you walk into the streets of NYC and notice that 90% of the women look super attractive, that's not at all normal. It's 45 min to an hour of skin work.

When I sleep over at the girlfriend's house, one of the first things she does when she gets up is apply make up (even before peeing ). Fortunately for me, she looks pretty even without it, except that the smooth foundation effect is not there.

It's just because they have been socialized that way owing to constant peer and tv pressure.
Yep.

I mean, all you have to do is look at the comments on this thread... or other threads. Saying 'wow, they look ordinary or ugly without makeup' doesn't make women rush out and get rid of their concealer, mascara, foundation etc.

I don't wear much makeup to begin with, but when I stay over at my guys house I wash my face before sleep and don't reapply in the morning. He doesn't really seem to care much.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:57 PM

26,906 posts, read 28,233,136 times
In some ways you are almost meant to feel cuckoo if you don't wear foundation. I went to sephora to look for some BB/CC cream for days I want to look more polished and the worker kept trying to get me to grey heavier makeup. "Since it kills all the imperfections." My skin is decent, but not perfect. But someone's it seems I need to wear more coverage to be "normal"

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:11 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,835,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
In some ways you are almost meant to feel cuckoo if you don't wear foundation. I went to sephora to look for some BB/CC cream for days I want to look more polished and the worker kept trying to get me to grey heavier makeup. "Since it kills all the imperfections." My skin is decent, but not perfect. But someone's it seems I need to wear more coverage to be "normal"

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
My sister uses Bare Minerals and I tried it out once...it made my skin look perfect. I'm talking, no blemishes, no ruddiness, no lines, no anything. It looks gross to me so I took it off. I mean, imperfections are what make people unique right? I thought having 'perfect' skin made me look like fake plastic and I didn't like it.

I wear bb cream here and there, but usually forget. I don't wear foundation, concealer or powder.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:44 PM

4,244 posts, read 3,041,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I've traveled to about 30 countries by now, and I am beginning to realize that--when it comes to cosmetics--women here in America wear more eyemakeup and cosmetics in general than women from any other country that I've been in.
Is there anyone on here that has an opinion on that? I'd be curious to find out how others see it.
I think women in the Middle East wear the most makeup. Their makeup is usually so heavy that you can't even recognize them when they take the makeup off.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:28 PM
JL

7,314 posts, read 11,497,760 times
Maybe women who go out on a first date with a guy should not wear makeup....there won't be that shocked look on his face later on!
Like i said previously, i think overall, women around the world these days wear more makeup than in the past, but i don't believe American women wear the most....i would put Venezuelans, S.Koreans, and Lebanese women ahead in that department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty