U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:16 AM

1,999 posts, read 9,196,529 times

Advertisements

I've traveled to about 30 countries by now, and I am beginning to realize that--when it comes to cosmetics--women here in America wear more eyemakeup and cosmetics in general than women from any other country that I've been in.
Is there anyone on here that has an opinion on that? I'd be curious to find out how others see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:04 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,079,858 times
From an asian perspective.
Older asian female wear more make up than older American female.
However, I believe the younger generation both in Asia and the US, wear almost the same amount of make-up.
But again I am a man... HAHHA so maybe my opinion does not count?

Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,730,809 times
I've travelled quite a bit myself and that hasn't been my experience.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:22 AM

26,876 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Apparently you haven't seen many Eastern European women.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:32 AM

2,385 posts, read 5,570,641 times
I've never been to America but in the UK women wear a lot of make up too, even girls as young as 11. They wear too much foundation and very dark eye liner and mascara... Probably to cover their freckles or patches on the face and to make their eyes and eye lashes look darker because they're blonde.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:48 AM

12,655 posts, read 12,078,941 times
Plenty of women all over the world wear cosmetics; some more than others, but a lot of the differences comes down to generational differences, fads, etc.

One thing I do notice is how many more Americans (well, in the south like TN, KY, etc) wear foundation or what ever it is called, and they do a rather poor job of doing so, to the point of it looking like a mask, the visible line where it ends and everything. The poster above mentioned women in the UK doing this as well, I agree, but they are much better at putting it on.

The heavy black circles aorund the eyes seems to be some 16 year old girl fad or something; a time when they really do not know how to use makeup until someone teaches them.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:41 PM

14,301 posts, read 17,505,128 times
I visited Kuala Lampur during the summer season when the families from Saudi Arabia would travel, mostly to do shopping. Except for stage actress on Broadway or a Vegas dancer, I've NEVER seen more eye makeup than I did on that trip.

The women were in luxury burka's, beautifully cut, some with designer logo's on the back (Chanel was a frequent one). Their designer, high heeled shoes were exquisite, as were their nails, toenails and eye makeup.

And yes, I could see from their eyes that they smiled back when I smiled at them, or complimented their shoes.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:42 PM

67 posts, read 75,431 times
Def American and UK women wear more, simply because they need it.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:48 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,117,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I've traveled to about 30 countries by now, and I am beginning to realize that--when it comes to cosmetics--women here in America wear more eyemakeup and cosmetics in general than women from any other country that I've been in.
Is there anyone on here that has an opinion on that? I'd be curious to find out how others see it.
I dunno about that... London and other euro cities have their share of makeup lovers.

It's probably cultural, relates to disposable income, and preference.

I don't wear any makeup. I'm American.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 PM
JL

7,311 posts, read 11,478,620 times
Women all over the world nowadays seem to be wearing more makeup then previously... gotta wonder what it does to the skin packing that stuff on the face everyday...aging gracefully would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
From an asian perspective.
Older asian female wear more make up than older American female.
However, I believe the younger generation both in Asia and the US, wear almost the same amount of make-up
But again I am a man... HAHHA so maybe my opinion does not count?
Concur

Last edited by JL; 09-27-2013 at 08:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty