U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 08:52 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Could be that she came from a warmer state, and that she did not have the money right away for cold weather gear.
Usually I see the people from warmer climates completely overdressing when it starts to get colder. Like, if you think you need a parka when it's 50 degrees, then February is going to a learning experience for you.

Mostly I just think students who are away from home for the first time don't have their moms telling them to take a jacket, and they don't tend to check the weather report before they get dressed in the morning. If it was warm and sunny yesterday, then it'll be warm and sunny again, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 10:14 AM

13,019 posts, read 7,196,376 times
It's not just college kids that under dress. I was walking my dogs after work last week and it was really cold. I had a ski jacket on and some gloves when along came a grown man in shorts and a T-shirt. I asked him if he was cold and he confessed that he was. I just smiled and went on my toasty way. Common sense doesn't belong to every one.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:18 AM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
When I was at college back in the early 80's we had a three week cold front where we didn't get above zero. With wicked winds.

I (a senior) lived in a group dorm with four other girls (all freshmen) and NONE of them wore hats because it would wreck their hairstyles. I kept telling them they'd look pretty funny when their ears fell off from frostbite.

I also worked with a woman who refused to wear her seatbelt because it wrinkled her blouses.

My own mother was diagnosed with very advanced colon cancer and was given a few months to live. Although it wasn't an option, she told everyone she'd refuse chemo because she didn't want to lose her hair.

Since I'm not a man, and don't hang out with guys, I can't tell you any of the vanity guy things -- but I know they have them because my husband has a few.....

Vanity can make us do crazy things.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:10 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,522,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
LOL!
And maybe you should not whine and complain about her whining and complaining....
I could care less about her complaining, as I was busy doing something else that time. I just wonder why some people decide to come unprepared for the current situation, and then complain.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 09-29-2013 at 11:39 AM..

Old 09-29-2013, 11:26 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
This situation is analogues to boarding the bus without a ticket, and complaining that the bus driver was mean because he forcibly evicted you from the bus.
Not really.
What you describe is an attempt at theft of services.
Wearing shorts is not that at all.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:29 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,522,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I was walking my dogs after work last week and it was really cold.
You should have been here last week. The low reached 37 F two days in a row, which is unusually chilly for September in NJ. It felt more like early winter than early fall at night.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:27 PM

27 posts, read 32,412 times
If I were that college student - I probably wouldn't want to complain. Most people would just take underdressing as a lack of forethought or common sense, if you don't know enough to put on enough clothes to be warm.

On the other hand, when I was college-age, I was very warm-natured. I wore t-shirts most of the winter, and often sandals. (I did live in northern Florida, not THAT cold.) But I simply didn't feel the cold like most people.

Last year, I had my cold-weather clothing packed away and got caught in unseasonably cold weather out of state underdressed. A lady going into the store with me asked, "Aren't you cold?" to which I simply answered, "Yes!"

But the most likely explanation is those kids might be used to a different climate and/or being told what to do.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:32 PM

12 posts, read 15,727 times
Because college girls are painfully insecure and seem to think that to get a guy you have to always show skin.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:45 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,644,348 times
I used to wear Keds canvas sneakers without socks...in the winter...in Minnesota...while standing in a snowdrift at the bus stop for 15+ minutes. That was the fashion and I was a stupid teenager!
I outgrew that, but some people never do.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:47 PM

7,183 posts, read 4,636,104 times
they are stylin and profiling wanting to show their shape, build, figure, or clothing. my son did that when he was a senior in high school. everybody at the bus stop dress warm and he looks like he about to freeze all because he wants to show off that nice shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty