U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2013, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,576,325 times
Reputation: 6312

Advertisements

The reason I specified college students is because most middle age women tend to go through Menopause, a condition which prompts under dressing for comfort.

I bet you that people suffering from menopause have not worn long sleeve apparel for years on end, even if they are outside in Northern Minnesota during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2013, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Middle America
35,828 posts, read 39,555,909 times
Reputation: 48654
I went to college in the snowy wilds of Minnesota, so we didn't really have this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 08:07 AM
 
18,856 posts, read 30,561,955 times
Reputation: 25999
I really don't get people who don't dress correctly for the weather either. I used to teach SPED, and we would pick out a picture of a snowy day, and the kids would pick the right clothing to wear for the weather.

When I see people underdressed, I often think of those lessons, "Gee, that person should have been in SPED, they would be dressed right now".

Ridiculous that some women, wear heels, and micro clothing when there is a foot of snow outside. Meanwhile, I am toasty in my flannel shirt, cords, and Sorel boots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,886,351 times
Reputation: 38839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
The reason I specified college students is because most middle age women tend to go through Menopause, a condition which prompts under dressing for comfort.

I bet you that people suffering from menopause have not worn long sleeve apparel for years on end, even if they are outside in Northern Minnesota during the winter.
LOL!
I will take you up on that bet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 AM
 
8,685 posts, read 8,904,403 times
Reputation: 7245
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I really don't get people who don't dress correctly for the weather either. I used to teach SPED, and we would pick out a picture of a snowy day, and the kids would pick the right clothing to wear for the weather.

When I see people underdressed, I often think of those lessons, "Gee, that person should have been in SPED, they would be dressed right now".

Ridiculous that some women, wear heels, and micro clothing when there is a foot of snow outside. Meanwhile, I am toasty in my flannel shirt, cords, and Sorel boots!
If I am out for a special occasion, I will wear a dress and heels, but not for every day in the cold!
__________________
My posts as moderator will be in red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,518 posts, read 22,805,466 times
Reputation: 45331
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ridiculous that some women, wear heels, and micro clothing when there is a foot of snow outside. Meanwhile, I am toasty in my flannel shirt, cords, and Sorel boots!
I always laugh at the girls on campus trying to navigate wet, icy sidewalks in high-heeled boots. When people say to wear boots in the snow, that's not what they meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 09:54 AM
 
8,685 posts, read 8,904,403 times
Reputation: 7245
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I always laugh at the girls on campus trying to navigate wet, icy sidewalks in high-heeled boots. When people say to wear boots in the snow, that's not what they meant.
I have a pair of high heeled boots that have really good rubber tread on the bottom that are actually good on icy/snowy walks. But boots with smooth soles? No.

I also don't understand why there are so many styles of open toed booties out there. I have a pair that I wear when it is cooler (fall, early spring), but they are obvioulsy just not practical in snow country once the white stuff flies.
__________________
My posts as moderator will be in red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 11:35 AM
 
1,989 posts, read 2,313,676 times
Reputation: 2015
One reason to wear short sleeves in cold weather is the classrooms are too hot for long sleeve shirts. When it's really cold students layer a lot over that short sleeve shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,576,325 times
Reputation: 6312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
One reason to wear short sleeves in cold weather is the classrooms are too hot for long sleeve shirts. When it's really cold students layer a lot over that short sleeve shirt.
It depends on how the college controls temperatures. At Rutgers I wear long sleeves 7 months a year, and never found classrooms over here to be hot at all. In fact, I feel that most of them are quite cold in the winter and would leave me shivering unless I wear long sleeves. Heating temperatures are set to 64 F, while I set my house thermostat to 70 F.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 10-01-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 02:07 PM
 
1,006 posts, read 1,786,754 times
Reputation: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
FYI, Women don't look hot when they under dressed in cold weather. Goosebumps and parched skin isn't pretty.

Umm yeah, that's my favorite look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top