U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 02:16 PM

2,198 posts, read 3,289,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
I did numerous searches on this topic with a variety of key words and found nothing.

For my upcoming reloc I decided I was in need of an organizer for all my travel related accessories because I soon realized I wouldn't be able to walk with overstuffed pockets and some items could get lost or damaged in a suitcase: hence, the man bag. A couple of Google searches landed me some great ideas and I've started to entertain the idea of carrying one all the time.

At some point in history, men and women alike carried a coin purse, when did society decide men needed pockets instead? On any given day, here is what I typically have on me:

-loose change
-wallet
-phone
-pill container (for allergies, etc.)
-headphones
-keys (very damaging to pockets)
-phone charger
-eye drops
-pen
-scraps of paper containing various notes/reminders
-breath mints
-and a couple other things depending on event/time of year like an inhaler during allergy season or coupons needed for the days shopping

I'm also increasingly carrying around my Ipad mini.

Keep in mind our problems multiply during warmer weather when wearing shorts. Cargo shorts exist I know, but even those look ridiculous when loaded up and sag due to the weight; they're also not appropriate for every occasion.

To me it seems like a no brainer and I am beginning to like the idea of having a small bag to haul everything when a gym bag or backpack would be out of place.

So I'm curious if perceptions have evolved with the times. Does a man with a purse come off as weird, gay, or metro? If you're a guy, would you carry one if you had need for it? If you're a woman, would you date a guy with one?

Edit to add: I live in the city and don't usually own a vehicle, so my needs are different than they would be if I had a car.
They're called "messenger bags".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 07:34 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,176,527 times
Hubby is in IT and takes his laptop everywhere. The laptop bag is roomy enough for all his other junk..I mean...essentials and still looks ok. Not super fashionable, but functional. When not using that he carries a backpack with a hundred pockets and can never find anything.

Try a few options before buying and get whatever is comfy for you. If you get a messenger bag b/c folks think it looks 'cool' but you feel uncomfortable when you use it, it's not going to come off too well.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:46 AM

40,957 posts, read 32,676,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Not you necessarily KofA, but I've always marveled that women would let men use THEM to carry the husband's/boyfriend's stuff.

On one hand the woman usually has a purse anyway. So I DO get that she can carry one little thing more for the hubby. But sometimes it's ridiculous. The man doesn't want to carry a lot of stuff himself. But when he wants something he sure asks the wife for a pen, or paper, mints, gum, or a tissue.

Get a bag, a tote, a backpack, briefcase, messenger bag -- and carry your own stuff
Oh, I agree!

The crazy thing is, my husband has actually said that he needs a man bag - but then he just won't make that leap! He's definitely an alpha male, so there'd be no danger of it making him look effeminate, so I don't know why he (and other men) won't just do it.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:19 AM

275 posts, read 805,049 times
I use them, I first started with a women's handbag that looked gender neutral. Then I found man bags, I have one that is a messenger style that works well, brown leather shoulder strap. I have a black backpack leather woman's bag. Now I have 3 bags I got thru 5.11 tactical and they are handy. Single shoulder cross body strap. My last one is a coach, single cross body shoulder strap.

The smartest thing I have ever done, emptying my pockets out into a hand bag, grab and go. Put in the car seat, grab and go. If I need something, its in the bag!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,079,858 times
Alot of guys in cities use them, especially if you live in areas where cars are not needed; NYC, Miami (Beach) and Philly; three cities I am usually roaming these days.
And if you go out to Asia and Europe, they are ubiquity!

Granted that I am gay, I use them from time to time. However, a lot of my friends both straight and gay use them. If nobody use them, you won't see them sold in Nordstrom, Bloomingdales or even TUMI!
But aside of murse, I also have backpack. I don;t like messenger bag because how it slaps my butt all the time as I walk especially when I try to catch subway.

Now if I go to smaller city, I dont use them because I know the stigma. And the last thing I want is sticking out. I usually use some sturdy shopping bag from a store. Maybe you can do that to...

I have never been to Kansas, but if you think that's something you can use - the murse, I suggest buy something that is more manly. Some of the murses look way too feminine.
If you have money, try TUMI.
good luck!

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 10-07-2013 at 08:51 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 06:42 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,117,065 times
It's called a Eurpoean

It was gonna go all Seinfeld on you but I figured I'd stay in this century.

Oh what the hell. He's a real fancy boy muah, muah, muah.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 AM

32,730 posts, read 22,676,881 times
Cosign on messenger bags. I prefer Baileys.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:09 AM

678 posts, read 542,750 times
lets be honest men dont know diddly squat about accessorising just dont do it. Im a guy interested in fashion so i know a thing or 2 about adding one thing to another and i HATE seeing a guy who cant dress let alone wearing a 40 yer old virgin man bag so please for me and you dont embarrass yourself

Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,087,490 times
Guess I'm just a minimalist compared to some. Wallet, keys (not a huge bunch), flip cellphone, pen, breath strips, glasses cleaning cloth, penknife and that's about it. They all fit handily in the five pockets I usually have - 2 front trouser, 2 rear trouser and 1 shirt. On occasion I carry a 9mm in a holster and one extra magazine. Both go on my belt and a shirt or jacket covers them. Come to think of it, the jacket gives me three other pockets - two outer and one inner. The cellphone then goes into one of them. Sometimes I carry an air weight, snub-nosed .38 special revolver. That fits nicely in a pocket holster and a front trouser pocket. You can't really tell I'm carrying anything. I'm a former cop and old habits die hard. Under no circumstances do I look lumpy and I would never carry a purse.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:52 AM

748 posts, read 1,356,803 times
I've seen them before many times, try Coach if you don't mind spending a bit. They have lots of mens items including bags, tech items wallets, key cases, business card cases, and other items. If you have a Coach mens factory store close to you i'd go there. They also post the Coach factory for men online when they do sales (which is all the time unless the site is down for updates). If you don't live anywhere near Coach or the factory stores shop online! Great quality as well for both the boutique items and the factory items, and you can some times find boutique items in the factory store!

Here is a link to the mens section of coach.com, the bag part specifically.
Browse New Arrivals in Leather Bags For Men at Coach.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty