Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 12:47 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times

Advertisements

If a guy needs a bag to carry around his stuff in, then he should carry one! Unless you're just a running quick errand it seems reasonable most guys would have more items they would like to take with them than will fit in their pockets. Unless the bag was pink and covered in glitter, I wouldn't think it was feminine at all and hey if that's what he likes, then who cares? Some people spend way too much worrying what other people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 06:38 PM
LW4

124 posts, read 156,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I keep one of these around:

Maxpedition Rollypoly Extreme Folding Backpack

Folds up to the size of 2 fists when I don't need it.

Durable and easy to carry when I do.

I'm old school and older.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
L.L. Bean has a sling pack in nylon and sling bags in leather and polyester ripstop. They used to make the slings in canvas, but for some reason they stopped.

Waterproof Sling Pack: Luggage and Gear Bags | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
Healthy Back Bag, Leather: Shoulder Bags | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
Touring Healthy Back Bag, Regular: Shoulder Bags | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 AM

408 posts, read 393,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
They're called "messenger bags".
In the military, they're called "map bags" or "map cases," although the sobriquet 'f*g bag' is often used.

Buy Map Bag - 6 Colors at Army Surplus World

They're most commonly carried by officers, unit leaders and drivers, because there's a plastic window you're supposed to stash your map behind. If you need to check your position, just flip the bag open and the waterproof window prevents your map from getting rained on, etc. You can even mark on the window with grease pencil and clean it off later with plain rubbing alcohol.

They're pretty easy to find; most military surplus stores will have them, and given their colors and construction (tough canvas), they have an outdoorsy look that's more appealing to guys.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:15 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Not carrying a man purse personally. A leather tote is better I think.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:00 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
I did numerous searches on this topic with a variety of key words and found nothing.

For my upcoming reloc I decided I was in need of an organizer for all my travel related accessories because I soon realized I wouldn't be able to walk with overstuffed pockets and some items could get lost or damaged in a suitcase: hence, the man bag. A couple of Google searches landed me some great ideas and I've started to entertain the idea of carrying one all the time.

At some point in history, men and women alike carried a coin purse, when did society decide men needed pockets instead? On any given day, here is what I typically have on me:

-loose change
-wallet
-phone
-pill container (for allergies, etc.)
-headphones
-keys (very damaging to pockets)
-phone charger
-eye drops
-pen
-scraps of paper containing various notes/reminders
-breath mints
-and a couple other things depending on event/time of year like an inhaler during allergy season or coupons needed for the days shopping

I'm also increasingly carrying around my Ipad mini.

Keep in mind our problems multiply during warmer weather when wearing shorts. Cargo shorts exist I know, but even those look ridiculous when loaded up and sag due to the weight; they're also not appropriate for every occasion.

To me it seems like a no brainer and I am beginning to like the idea of having a small bag to haul everything when a gym bag or backpack would be out of place.

So I'm curious if perceptions have evolved with the times. Does a man with a purse come off as weird, gay, or metro? If you're a guy, would you carry one if you had need for it? If you're a woman, would you date a guy with one?

Edit to add: I live in the city and don't usually own a vehicle, so my needs are different than they would be if I had a car.
Wow I don't know any guys that carry around that much crap. Women, yes....me included. . I guess if you need all that stuff and don't have a car, then you need a place for it. Kinda weird though. Okay...it's kind of gay. Just being honest.

If you need a bag I would say just make sure it doesn't look like a PURSE. Something more masculine, if you can find it.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:28 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow I don't know any guys that carry around that much crap. Women, yes....me included. . I guess if you need all that stuff and don't have a car, then you need a place for it. Kinda weird though. Okay...it's kind of gay. Just being honest.

If you need a bag I would say just make sure it doesn't look like a PURSE. Something more masculine, if you can find it.

and there goes that american mentality again.
wow 2013, and people still think certain things are gay.

so now needing 'stuff" is kinda gay.???

unbelieveable

Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

unbelieveable
I was thinking the same thing. What exactly in the OPs list was "gay"?

loose change
wallet
phone
pill container (for allergies, etc.)
headphones
keys (very damaging to pockets)
phone charger
eye drops
pen
scraps of paper containing various notes/reminders
breath mints
and a couple other things depending on event/time of year like an inhaler during allergy season or coupons needed for the days shopping

Seems like all normal stuff that anyone would carry around no matter their sexual orientation.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:15 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

unbelieveable

Whoa...it's 2013, and not everyone thinks exactly like you?!?!?!

*SHOCKED!!!*

News flash - Gay people are gay....

Old 10-11-2013, 02:51 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
News flash - Gay people are gay....
Did the OP say he was gay? If he did I missed that. Saying that someone is gay because they want something to carry their non-gay stuff in is just showing your ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty