U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:26 AM

8,671 posts, read 8,851,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Most recently, Cooper Vision's Proclear Toric, for astigmatism. Previously, Bausch & Lomb's Soflens66 Toric, which were 66% water...I believe that one has been rebranded under a different name, though.

Both are the best I've found for chronically dry eyes, but neither is great.
I've tried several different lenses that are made for dry eyes and none of them worked for me. They were all terribly uncomfortable, I could feel them in my eyes all day long.

Eye docs are always trying to get me to try the pricier daily wear ones and whatnot, but my $15 a box "old technology" (as my doc called them) ones just work best for me!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:24 AM

1,630 posts, read 1,784,057 times
Glasses are great on cloudy days, and cool, non-humid days, but not if I'm going to be sweaty, and my face is chronically oily anyway. But I dig my frames...these are from Etnia Barcelona.

If it's sunny or hot, I wear contacts comfortably Air Optix for Astigmastism rule!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,208,781 times
Hmmm,it seems when I wear glasses men never take a second look at me.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:49 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Clark Kent makes a comeback. I always thought those glasses looked cute. Lesson to learn: hold onto some stuff
it may be popular again.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/Cl...cretorigin.jpg
http://www.wedlok.com/Clarkwinking.jpg

Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
I started wearing glasses in 3rd grade. The real glass ones that were heavy. I went to contacts for about 10 years and when we moved to AZ, the desert, with hot, dry and windy conditions, I reluctantly went back to glasses. What a relief and I never went back to contacts. I order mine through Zenni online so even with progressives and a rather strong prescription, I can get a variety of styles at great prices with good quality and I just love them. I love the tortoise shell styles or black! Oh, makes me want to go and see what is new!

Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 PM

1,630 posts, read 1,784,057 times
oh, man, I remember glass lenses! They were so heavy. And the coke-bottle factor was real.

I started wearing (hard) contact lenses around 1977. They felt like having a cornflake in your eye—and that was at their most comfortable! They would move around to the extreme sides of your eye, and sometimes pop out completely. Anyone remember the little electric heaters they needed to be disinfected in?

Those were some pain-in-the-ass days.
Okay, done with Memory Lane, now back to the topic at hand...

Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,570,281 times
I always wore contacts since I first needed glasses. I only need them to see things at a distance, so I don't ever wear them around the house. Sometimes I get distracted and forget to put them in before leaving the house, so I do have a pair of backup glasses that I always keep in my purse.

Since I don't wear my glasses that often, I ended up getting them from Coastal. They have a deal where the first pair you buy from them is free, although you do pay about $10 shipping. I figured that since my glasses would spend most of their time in my purse, I didn't want anything too expensive.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:42 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,112,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
oh, man, I remember glass lenses! They were so heavy. And the coke-bottle factor was real.

I started wearing (hard) contact lenses around 1977. They felt like having a cornflake in your eye—and that was at their most comfortable! They would move around to the extreme sides of your eye, and sometimes pop out completely. Anyone remember the little electric heaters they needed to be disinfected in?

Yeah, I had one of those electric heating units, looked just like yours. But I used it for soft contacts, which I started wearing in 1981. After a few years, I switched lens types and then it was all chemical disinfection, which caused me problems until I started using the hydrogen peroxide type cleaners.

I wear glasses 99.9% of the time now. Couldn't be bothered with contacts anymore. And with Zenni Optical and other online eyeglass places, glasses are affordable and I've got a whole wardrobe of different frames to wear.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:26 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I've tried several different lenses that are made for dry eyes and none of them worked for me. They were all terribly uncomfortable, I could feel them in my eyes all day long.

Eye docs are always trying to get me to try the pricier daily wear ones and whatnot, but my $15 a box "old technology" (as my doc called them) ones just work best for me!
For me, they're fine when they're freshly put in, but wearing them for more than a few hours? No can do. I have two pairs left of my most recent box, and am saving one pair to wear with a formal updo and ball gown to the Navy Ball tomorrow night, and the other pair for my wedding in January. Other than that, it's all glasses, baby.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:32 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post

I first tried to wear contacts around 1991, before toric soft lenses for astigmatism were really on the market widely. At that time, those of us with astigmatism were told we could only wear rigid gas permeable, i.e. hard lenses. I tried and tried and tried, because everyone said, Oh, you'll get used to them. No. It was almost unbearable...I like your analogy of cornflakes...I always felt like it was pea gravel in my eyes. Truly horrible. By the time I was in college in the midnineties, soft lenses for astigmatism were available but not in disposable form, and highly expensive. I wore them occasionally, because I was in theatre, and they were useful for being onstage, when glasses caused a glare and weren't suitable for all characters. Then, eventually, disposable torics came out.

I have never had glass lenses, but my dad does. His are very heavy, and mine would be, as well, because my vision is poorer than his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty