U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:59 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,478,901 times

Advertisements

My wife has been to two top university dermatologists (they practice at Brigham and Women's Hospital) and this is what they recommend over all those multi hundred dollar creams.

Body Cream

Cerave, the cream, not the lotion - Runs about $17 for a pound jar at CVS. They usually have coupons online for a couple dollars off and CVS runs specials.

Cerave

If you have extra dry skin and Cerave does not work, then the recommendation is Aveeno Exema Therapy cream which you can buy at any drug chain for $17 a tube.

Aveeno Exema Therapy Cream

Facial Cream

- Day -

There are two recommendations here. The first is for people with smaller pores who do not need a noncomedogenic product.

The first is by Neutrogena and can be purchased at any drug chain. Sometimes they do not stock the sensitive skin version, but that is what you want. It runs about $14 for a tube. Tube is 1.7 oz.

Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer with sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50 - Sensitive Skin

If you need a noncomedogenic product then their recommendation is Obagi. You can only buy it online. Amaz0n has it for the best price. It has sunscreen 35.

Obagi Nu-Derm Healthy Skin Protection SPF 35

Facial Clenser

Glytone Mild Gel Wash - again sold on line only IME and Amaz0n has the best prices

Night Cream

This was the dermatologists recommendation over everything else. $25 for a jar and is available at any drug chain.

Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream

If your face looks like any the examples below, that's probably rosacea and none of creams above will clear it up. Suggest you see a dermatologist. They know the exact cream to Rx.

or this

or this

or this

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 04:28 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,057,952 times
Thanks for the recommendations. I've been using Cetaphil and CeraVe facial products for the past few years for sensitive skin (recommended by my family doctor). However recently it seems I need more moisture, especially at night, so I'll give these a try!

Old 10-07-2013, 05:15 PM

2,222 posts, read 4,400,121 times
I've always had good luck with Cetaphil and Neutrogena procucts; glad to see these additional recommendations.

As an aside, I've always chuckled at products that say they're "Dermotologist Tested." They never tell you what the test results were. Burns like a son of a gun? Clogs pores worse than Crisco? Does nothing at all? How would you know?

Old 10-07-2013, 05:49 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,512,709 times
Echoing the Cetaphil mentions. My derm has always recommended that brand to me.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:30 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,810,094 times
I just ordered a 2 oz. bottle of coconut oil on ebay for 3.79. I'm sick of these harsh chemicals aggravating the rosacea bumps and making my skin flaky looking. We'll see how it goes. I read where folks were raving about how thire wrinkles disappeared. Fingers crossed!

Old 10-08-2013, 03:46 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,478,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I just ordered a 2 oz. bottle of coconut oil on ebay for 3.79. I'm sick of these harsh chemicals aggravating the rosacea bumps and making my skin flaky looking. We'll see how it goes. I read where folks were raving about how thire wrinkles disappeared. Fingers crossed!
It will not help rosacea, you need to see a dermatologist.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:44 PM

18,847 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
There isn't anything harsh in CerVe or Cetaphil. However, for rosacea, you need to visit a dermatologist.

Rosacea.org | Home of the National Rosacea Society

Old 10-08-2013, 04:54 PM

2,638 posts, read 10,495,562 times
I do have rosacea and my dermatologist was absolutely useless. She said there was nothing to be done for my type other than to avoid triggers. She gave me a big long list including but not limited to avoiding all sun exposure and heat (I live in Florida, not practical) avoiding all exertion (which means no exercise, not practical), avoiding all spicy food and alcohol (seriously? just kill me now), and the list went on and on. Essentially she blamed my lifestyle for the condition (which is clearly genetic) and advised me to live like a hermit in an air conditioned box, which is funny because at that point what do I care if my skin is red? No one would see it.

I tried her prescription antibiotic cream which was useless. I tried the drugstore Eucerin redness line she recommended, which was useless, unless I wanted to look like a greasy corpse. I tried Aveeno. I tried Neutrogena. I tried Purpose. I tried Cetaphil. I tried a long list of stuff she recommended - all useless, and some of it actually made it worse. So imagine my surprise when I found something effective recommended by a makeup artist at a department counter in the form of Guerlain's SOS serum and creme. These two products cost about the same as the useless antibiotic creams she prescribed, but they have actually worked to reduce my persistent redness and completely stopped the rosacea blemishes. Not cheap, but on par with prescription treatments - but unlike the prescription they actually work. Before the Guerlain the best I tried was Clinique's redness line. The cleanser is great but you'll need a separate makeup remover first as it does not remove makeup at all. The cream is decent, a bit heavy for my skin but it is soothing. The green makeup base is atrocious, it's greasy, it separates, it makes me look like I'm undead. The yellow powder is so-so, it can be helpful over foundation in areas where redness shows through but on its own it looks strange.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:03 PM

2,967 posts, read 3,954,885 times
I use organic coconut oil all over and on the face. It soaks right in beautifully, and you don't have all of those nasty toxic chemicals soaking into your skin and body from the store bought potions.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:26 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,057,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I use organic coconut oil all over and on the face. It soaks right in beautifully, and you don't have all of those nasty toxic chemicals soaking into your skin and body from the store bought potions.
I love using organic almond oil on my body (not sure if coconut oil is similar ?), but I need something more moisturizing on my face at night; otherwise, it feels very dry in the morning when I first wake up. That might also be because I'm older (approaching my late 50s) and have always had dry skin to begin with. On the other hand, perhaps a humidifier might work well with the dryness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty