U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:38 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
Neither! Both are tacky in the extreme.

You may know something about fashion for the masses, but the fact that you are even considering actually these wearing these garments clearly shows that you know absolutely nothing about style. Real style.
You would expect someone who works in a "fashion focused" PR firm to have a better understanding of 1) what is on trend and 2) what is timeless, elegant style. Those coats represent neither of the choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 09:28 PM

5,382 posts, read 3,867,389 times
The second one.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:38 AM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
OP, don't pay any attention to the naysayers on this thread. They apparently don't realize that the MOST important thing about fashion is whether or not YOU like it. Trends come and go, but some looks are classic, and a fur (or good quality faux fur in this case) coat is one of them - a look that's been around literally for centuries. Now - some STYLES are more trendy than others, and can therefore look dated more quickly, but even that shouldn't matter to someone who is truly self confident. But I say that as a person who often wears vintage clothing - as often as possible, when I can find an item that's still in good shape.

I've never owned a fur coat, faux or real. I live in the south, so fur coats tend to look a bit ridiculous, not to mention they are extremely HOT except for a handful of days in the dead of winter. But if I lived somewhere colder, and if I found a fur that I liked, I'd buy it and wear it and to heck with what anyone else thought.

On the two coats you asked about, I already gave my opinion (shorter coat #1) but I'll repeat it. I like that coat because it has movement and could really be fun with the right playful outfit. It's striking and I think it would look awesome with very skinny jeans, a black turtleneck, tall skinny black boots, and some sort of pendant necklace (one big stone or pendant, not a big "statement" necklace - the coat is enough of a statement). Simple hair style to go with it. Also, the style of Coat #1 is timeless, not at all trendy. Coats like that have been around for as long as I can remember and I'm 51 years old.

The second coat's style is what bothers me. It looks very eighties. If that's the style you're looking for, then go for it, but to me it looks matronly and not nearly as much fun as the first coat.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:35 AM

42,565 posts, read 42,398,375 times
http://www1.macys.com/cms/slp/2/Winter-Coats
I don't care for either.
Here this is what's in.
I like the Michael Kor leather coat. I have the Kenneth Cole Pea coat for dressier times.
I was always a fan of the fleece trench coats that are short and tie.
More dress down a simple sporty fleece or a ski jacket.
I saw the shaws and capes are back too.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:43 PM

2,207 posts, read 3,012,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OP, don't pay any attention to the naysayers on this thread. They apparently don't realize that the MOST important thing about fashion is whether or not YOU like it. Trends come and go, but some looks are classic, and a fur (or good quality faux fur in this case) coat is one of them - a look that's been around literally for centuries. Now - some STYLES are more trendy than others, and can therefore look dated more quickly, but even that shouldn't matter to someone who is truly self confident. But I say that as a person who often wears vintage clothing - as often as possible, when I can find an item that's still in good shape.

I've never owned a fur coat, faux or real. I live in the south, so fur coats tend to look a bit ridiculous, not to mention they are extremely HOT except for a handful of days in the dead of winter. But if I lived somewhere colder, and if I found a fur that I liked, I'd buy it and wear it and to heck with what anyone else thought.

On the two coats you asked about, I already gave my opinion (shorter coat #1) but I'll repeat it. I like that coat because it has movement and could really be fun with the right playful outfit. It's striking and I think it would look awesome with very skinny jeans, a black turtleneck, tall skinny black boots, and some sort of pendant necklace (one big stone or pendant, not a big "statement" necklace - the coat is enough of a statement). Simple hair style to go with it. Also, the style of Coat #1 is timeless, not at all trendy. Coats like that have been around for as long as I can remember and I'm 51 years old.

The second coat's style is what bothers me. It looks very eighties. If that's the style you're looking for, then go for it, but to me it looks matronly and not nearly as much fun as the first coat.
I understand what you mean, but the OP asked for our opinions. I didn't comment expecting her to change her mind either way, but merely answered what was asked. People should expect this and not take it personally. We have a right to agree or disagree

Old 10-09-2013, 06:56 PM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I understand what you mean, but the OP asked for our opinions. I didn't comment expecting her to change her mind either way, but merely answered what was asked. People should expect this and not take it personally. We have a right to agree or disagree
I understand. I was simply expressing my opinion as well. We be cool.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't by either, especially white, because I would probably stain it within 20 minutes.
BTW, Kathy does make some good points.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:53 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,511,123 times
OP, the shorter one is more fun! Go for it!

And to the person that posted the Macy's link, really? Is that how you determine what's in style, Macy's? OK!

Old 10-18-2013, 03:38 AM

84 posts, read 86,506 times
I loved the second one. The second jacket is really very nice. You should go for it.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,004,541 times
No matter which coat you choose, I guarantee you will either spill something down the front of it, or worse yet sit in something dark and sticky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty