Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 PM

420 posts, read 697,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
Haha, so you're saying it looks cheap? lol
Nope. Looks good without being too gaudy. Both make you look like dining you is out of my price range though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 08:26 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Dinners and some days to work. I work for a PR advertising agency that's fashion focused.
Sorry, but any fur during the day just screams tacky to me.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
How many animals were killed so you can "look good?" Just wondering........

Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,859,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
How many animals were killed so you can "look good?" Just wondering........
this many:

Quote:
Between these two--I have had my eyes set on both, and yes, theyre faux fur as many of you know I love.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 22,239 times
I'd buy the first one! Really stylish and at the same time can be named as classical. You can wear it both with jeans and office suite. With heavy boots and princess pumps

Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
this many:
Thanks.... overlooked that. In that case, I would say #1, but neither one really does it for me.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:12 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
#1 for sure.

#2 looks too fake, too tailored and too outdated. It just screams "cheap".

Old 10-08-2013, 02:41 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Between these two--I have had my eyes set on both, and yes, theyre faux fur as many of you know I love. I want something stylish and glamorous, but dont want to look matronly or a hooker lol. Trying to find that balance. I do have a collection of faux furs (trims and coats) and one vintage mink. Now I want a shorter jacket/coat in a lighter color. Which one between these two do you prefer?
My former Russian girlfriend had a genuine mink, in a similar pale/smokey color. Full-length, too. She knew quite a bit about them, second Russian woman I met to feel that way. Over there, they wear their wealth for status: just how it is.

While exquisite, in-fact (stitching, tailoring, quality of materials) it was a bit odd for a woman in her 30s to wear in the U.S. even during the winter. I politely tried to point this out but got nowhere. If they are "in" or not these days is a subjective question. In the end, she looked just a bit trashy/provincial wering the damn thing, despite that she literally paid more than $10K for it.

Perhaps that is in-itself why: that sort of ostentatious behavior is viewed as nouveau riche by the truly wealthy and cultured. (She was an ex mob-moll, I strongly suspect, though I never quite got to the bottom of that either in our six month acquaintance. "Trying to impress other mobsters" sort-of mentality, expressing that she was spoken-for by the top dog to the other floozies. Flaunting it to the peasants, that is to say: oligarch gangster behavior, in these post-Soviet years.)

Point being, if you're going for a fashion look, fur or faux-fur has a slight air of trashy attached to it, rightly or wrongly, for a woman under 50.

(Caveat: if you know something most of us don't...i.e., if fur is really starting to come back into mainstream fashion for the younger crowd...then disregard the previous! LOL.)

Old 10-08-2013, 06:29 PM

500 posts, read 318,888 times
Neither! Both are tacky in the extreme.

You may know something about fashion for the masses, but the fact that you are even considering actually these wearing these garments clearly shows that you know absolutely nothing about style. Real style.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:22 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
In the 1960s my aunt bought my mom a full length mink coat and I was truly embarrassed to be seen with her when she wore it. I don't even like fake fur because the entire look is silly to me. The only people who should wear fur are people who live in a native culture in a cold area where there's no REI nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty