U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

There's an odd trend in urban women around the nation, and it's becoming more and more common: we cannot wear anything other than high heels. I can wear heels for hours without feeling pain. I cannot do the same thing with tennis shoes-- my lowers legs and achilles tendon start to hurt.

Maybe this trend is for real?
I have seen a lot of younger women in high, high heels (often with jeans) in our little downtown--and I live in a very small town.

I am not going to form any judgments on what should or shouldn't be done health-wise. Fashion and beauty is not necessarily about wellness.

Years and years ago when I was a teenager, I remember my mother frowning at the occasional woman she would see wearing diamond stud earrings during the daytime. Diamond earrings or bracelets, she said, were only for night-time.
Then came "tennis" bracelets; these days women wear diamond studs 24/7.

And tattoos. They are basically becoming mainstream. I think this blows my mind more than anything else--but then, the Beatles "long" hair was a huge fashion upheaval back in the 1960's. Standards were changed forever.
Currently, men can be bald or they can have ponytails with no major repercussions either way. Our mailman has far longer hair than I do.

Does anyone have other comments on trends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 05:22 AM

13,433 posts, read 24,210,764 times
Every generation has to do something their parents/elders will find repulsive. Sort of like a rite of passage. I remember administrators measuring the length of girl's skirts and how far the boy's hair was from their collar.

And girls couldn't wear pants to school. Dresses/skirts only!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Every generation has to do something their parents/elders will find repulsive. Sort of like a rite of passage. I remember administrators measuring the length of girl's skirts and how far the boy's hair was from their collar.

I remember all this, too.
Then I talked my parents into letting me transfer to an "experimental" public school. The rest is history.

I am not necessarily talking about youngsters' fashion trends, but I realize that often they are the ones on the vanguard, and that the adults follow.
After the adults follow, it is time for the kids to come up with something more outrageous.
I suppose this is how we end up seeing gold hoops in men's eyebrows.
OTOH, it is the middle-agers, with cosmetic surgery, who are taking body modification to limits I never dreamed of.

But when it comes to clothing and hairstyle trends, I don't think our century is more wacky than, say, the 18th century.

Big Hair

Old 11-19-2007, 06:21 AM

238 posts, read 1,019,015 times
Tattoos are ugly and I suspect many of the 20 somethings getting them today will hate them when they are 45 and out of fashion.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:46 AM

5,007 posts, read 7,664,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

Oh, I remember that very well. I was in the seventh grade and we could finally wear pants on Wednesdays (well, we thought it was exciting then!). It seems ridiculous now, but it was progress back then (sheesh, it was the 70s). I sound like a pioneer woman, don't I?

This subject gives me other ideas for for future threads. Good topic.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Tattoos are ugly and I suspect many of the 20 somethings getting them today will hate them when they are 45 and out of fashion.
I belong to a blogging website and I read a few young people who have many tattoos - and advocate against getting flu shots!

OK, how can all that body art ink be any safer than a flu vaccine? I'm still grappling with that one...

Old 11-19-2007, 09:27 AM

15,533 posts, read 35,652,233 times
My son and I were puzzled when we moved to Texas and he wasn't allowed to wear shorts to school. We're talking about regular below the knee shorts - not Richard Simmons shorts! We moved from Palm Desert, CA where the kids wear shorts to school all year. We move to Texas, where it's humid as hell, and the kids have to wear pants. We are SO glad we moved back to CA!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Years and years ago when I was a teenager, I remember my mother frowning at the occasional woman she would see wearing diamond stud earrings during the daytime. Diamond earrings or bracelets, she said, were only for night-time.
Then came "tennis" bracelets; these days women wear diamond studs 24/7.
How about wearing black in the daytime? (I am guilty of this, too, I am trying to wear more colors during daytime hours and keep the black for night; it's kind of difficult, many items I wear to work are black)

I mean, here I and others are, living in one of the mildest climates with many sunny days, and people tend to wear a lot of black, daily.

Stacy and Clinton were right when they said stop wearing the black and put more color into one's wardrobe.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
How about wearing black in the daytime? (I am guilty of this, too, I am trying to wear more colors during daytime hours and keep the black for night; it's kind of difficult, many items I wear to work are black)

I mean, here I and others are, living in one of the mildest climates with many sunny days, and people tend to wear a lot of black, daily.

Stacy and Clinton were right when they said stop wearing the black and put more color into one's wardrobe.
Hmmm.
I do remember there being a thing about wearing black in daytime.
And I do like to wear black.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:32 AM

25,573 posts, read 23,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
My son and I were puzzled when we moved to Texas and he wasn't allowed to wear shorts to school. We're talking about regular below the knee shorts - not Richard Simmons shorts! We moved from Palm Desert, CA where the kids wear shorts to school all year. We move to Texas, where it's humid as hell, and the kids have to wear pants. We are SO glad we moved back to CA!!!

Richard Simmons sorts look GAY! I dont follow trends, to me, whats reasonably comfortable is good enough for me. Besides, loose 501's and a peasant blouse have always been popular, no matter what 'era'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty