Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women Wearing Risqué Halloween Costumes?
Yes, stylish and humorous and sexy 39 50.65%
No, degrading and childish 38 49.35%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,996,782 times

Advertisements

I don't mind the "sexy" costumes, but I think once when I saw a girl dressed as Aeon Flux and you could see her vagina, that was going too far...

I guess if you got it and want to flaunt it, that's fine, but I agree it's all in context, if you are going to a party full of children, or a work party, be mindful! But if it's an adult party or something you can let your hair down a bit more

I am all for sexy that leaves some room for the imagination!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 05:41 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,739,852 times
Lots of very normal women have a little stripper locked up inside them and it is the one time a year they can let it all hang out (pun intended ) I have been to Fantasy Fest in Key West (twice), and you have to leave your sensibilities at the door when you check in. It is simply a fun time for adults to cut loose and do things they would never be able to do in their normal lives.

Life is too short to not enjoy it, and as long as it doesn't hurt someone else it is fine with me.

Don

Old 10-16-2013, 05:47 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,336,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Lots of very normal women have a little stripper locked up inside them...
That's what Hugh Hefner said.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:00 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,739,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
That's what Hugh Hefner said.
Well, if anybody knows, it should be old Hugh !

Don

Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,945,118 times
I love the sexy vampiress costumes and vampiress costumes in general

Old 10-17-2013, 07:45 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,156,823 times
Quote:
I love Halloween and we throw a costume party at our house every year. But it is often disappointing to go to the costume stores and see the selection. The men & boys section has such a variety of options. The women & girls section is sexy witch, sexy nurse, sexy knight, sexy cat, sexy cop, etc. As if that's all women are for, while men can be all of these different characters.

At our yearly Halloween party we just have one friend in the bunch who always comes in an extremely revealing, "sexy" costume. She looks very out of place and always seems miffed that she's the only one who "went there" with her costume. She acts surprised that none of the other women go that route. But I'm not surprised she dresses that way for Halloween. She is very conformist / brainwashed by our culture. She has received the message loud and clear that womens' only purpose is to look "sexy" and she subscribes to the Mean Girls philosophy of Halloween being a night for girls to dress like "sluts".

I believe that all women have an "inner ****" fighting to get out. Some just hide it better than others.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 AM

981 posts, read 2,702,165 times
When i lived an area with several colleges there was an area in the middle with a lot of bars. I drove through there once near Halloween and I'm amazed there aren't a lot of car accidents from distracted male drivers

Old 10-17-2013, 08:07 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,398,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I don't mind the "sexy" costumes, but I think once when I saw a girl dressed as Aeon Flux and you could see her vagina, that was going too far...

I guess if you got it and want to flaunt it, that's fine, but I agree it's all in context, if you are going to a party full of children, or a work party, be mindful! But if it's an adult party or something you can let your hair down a bit more

I am all for sexy that leaves some room for the imagination!
Surely you are aware it isn't possible to see a vagina unless you are looking inside a woman's body with a speculum, which is one of the main ways. Perhaps you mean vulva.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 AM

14,349 posts, read 14,161,665 times
I think these costumes are just another example of a cultural change. I'm old and I don't approve of it. The truth is that there are many influences in this culture that cause young girls to become "sexualized" at an early age. The difficult thing about it is that any one of these things taken by themselves is not particularly harmful or significant. Taken together, they represent a cultural shift that causes both young girls and boys to approach sex and sexuality differently.

Let me point out a few of the things I'm talking about:

1. Risque Halloween costumes.
2. The presence of stores like Victoria's Secret that don't just sell lingerie, but practically shove it your face if you go to the local mall.
3. Rock and Pop music where female performers often dress in a way or engage in very sexualized conduct and who use very sexual lyrics.
4. Tolerance of language that would have been completely unacceptable years ago including some people who act like the word b*tch is some kind of honorable title instead of slang that should never be used to describe women--at least in polite company.
5. Ads for lingerie and underwear on t.v. that use live models which was something not allowed years ago.
6. Television shows that portray hordes of thin women in short skirts who hold high paying jobs that don't seem to require much effort.

I don't make the rules in this society. FTR, I think censorship and officially imposed bans on any of these activities are likely to cause more harm than any good they would do. I also think that all these things cause young girls to grow up quicker than they should and to become more tolerant of things that they should try to avoid at least until they are out of their teen years. I have a teenage daughter and while I don't intend to lock my daughter up in a convent, I very much fear the direction all of this is pushing young girls.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,735,644 times
Quote:
I love Halloween and we throw a costume party at our house every year. But it is often disappointing to go to the costume stores and see the selection. The men & boys section has such a variety of options. The women & girls section is sexy witch, sexy nurse, sexy knight, sexy cat, sexy cop, etc. As if that's all women are for, while men can be all of these different characters.

At our yearly Halloween party we just have one friend in the bunch who always comes in an extremely revealing, "sexy" costume. She looks very out of place and always seems miffed that she's the only one who "went there" with her costume. She acts surprised that none of the other women go that route. But I'm not surprised she dresses that way for Halloween. She is very conformist / brainwashed by our culture. She has received the message loud and clear that womens' only purpose is to look "sexy" and she subscribes to the Mean Girls philosophy of Halloween being a night for girls to dress like "sluts".

I hear you. I have a party for the kids in the neighborhood every year and I bought two of the girls their costumes. They're not what I'd call Halloween. Since when are kids costumes supposed to be sexy too? I have a hard time finding a costume appropriate for a kids party too. Enough with the slutty attire and lets get back to what Halloween is supposed to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty