Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

Yesterdey, it was 70 F in the afternoon but only 32 F early in the morning. I found it really difficult to choose the appropriate clothing. It's well known that 70 F is too hot for a sweater but 32 F is too cold for a t shirt. What would you have worn under such conditions. I ended up wearing long sleeves all day long and dealt with a couple hours of sweating.

I know layering is important. But when you are on the move, where do you store all the additional layers. Its very hard to stuff a sweatshirt, long sleeve shirt, gym clothes, engineering tools, books, food, and water inside 1 backpack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I have never in my life seen a guy so preoccupied with his clothes as you are!

My son would have thrown a coat over a long sleeve t and called it done.
70 degrees isn't sweating weather... it is perfection.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times
I'm female, but in this sort of weather, light sweaters/jackets go a long way and are easy to fold up and fit inside of a backpack/purse. I tend to dress for the warmer part of the day as much as I can stand it -- unless you walk blocks and blocks in the morning, you aren't going to be outside much in the cold and anything beyond a light layer is mostly unnecessary until it gets consistently cold throughout the day.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:28 AM

OK, forget it. I understand that I was being a whiny person.

But crazy temperature swings do annoy me. I live in a flat coastal area and these rapid variations from day to night are extremely rare.After experiencing 32 F, a rapid rise to 70 F within 4 hours feels quite hot, and a sudden drop to 55 F in 1 hour leaves me freezing. For those of you in mountainous regions like Pittsburgh or Denver, I understand such swings are common and you are used to it. I just want to know how you prepare for such drastic variations, and wanted your advice.

Thankfully, these crazy variations end today and we are going back to highs in the mid 50's and lows around 40 with constant cloudiness, dampness, and drizzle. Some of that drizzle may turn in to flurries next week .

Old 10-22-2013, 10:33 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,517 times
Dude, in the winter, here's my wardrobe when I am wandering outside (non-working day), inside to out. Take notes

Tops:
White V-neck
Long sleeve shirt (usually rolled up sleeve)
Tie (optional)
V-neck sweater
Tweed blazer

Bottoms:
Boxers
Chinos
Woolen socks
Suede shoes

Mac on top

This is how you beat this weather. As the weather intensifies, bring on heavier overcoats and gloves/scarves.

I never do scarves.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:36 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Yesterdey, it was 70 F in the afternoon but only 32 F early in the morning. I found it really difficult to choose the appropriate clothing. It's well known that 70 F is too hot for a sweater but 32 F is too cold for a t shirt. What would you have worn under such conditions. I ended up wearing long sleeves all day long and dealt with a couple hours of sweating.

I know layering is important. But when you are on the move, where do you store all the additional layers. Its very hard to stuff a sweatshirt, long sleeve shirt, gym clothes, engineering tools, books, food, and water inside 1 backpack.
I have tried to add as many "all season" dresses to my wardrobe as possible. I'll wear a short-sleeved dress in a color and material appropriate for all seasons, and then carry a sweater or jacket that I can wear over it (or maybe even both). I also check the weather first to see just how cold I need to be prepared for. I also carry a bag that is big enough to put a sweater inside - either a purse/backback, large tote, or wheeled briefcase. Many days I am still not appropriately dressed, but mainly because it's really hard to find those all-weather dresses that are also comfortable and fit well. I wish they made more of them. Also key for me - a pair of water-proof boots that look good with dresses and lots of black tights.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:55 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I have tried to add as many "all season" dresses to my wardrobe as possible. I'll wear a short-sleeved dress in a color and material appropriate for all seasons, and then carry a sweater or jacket that I can wear over it (or maybe even both). I also check the weather first to see just how cold I need to be prepared for. I also carry a bag that is big enough to put a sweater inside - either a purse/backback, large tote, or wheeled briefcase. Many days I am still not appropriately dressed, but mainly because it's really hard to find those all-weather dresses that are also comfortable and fit well. I wish they made more of them. Also key for me - a pair of water-proof boots that look good with dresses and lots of black tights.
This is how I dress as well. When I'm buying dresses in the summer I try to picture how they'll look with a sweater and tights for winter wear. I get a bunch of different colored tights as well so I don't feel like I'm wearing the same thing all year. I love grey tights, I have a pair of purple tights, and just got a pair of maroon tights that I really like. And of course I also get a few pairs of black tights since they go well with just about everything. Then I'll pair it with either boots or flats.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
My husband keeps this jacket in his backpack. 5.11 Tactical Packable Jacket at Galls It folds up into one of its pockets so it doesn't take up much space at all. It's good for rain or wind, or slightly chilly weather. Maybe something like that would be helpful to you, then you could wear a long-sleeve shirt underneath, store the jacket when you get to work, and just roll up your shirt sleeves when you get hot later in the day.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I have never in my life seen a guy so preoccupied with his clothes as you are!

My son would have thrown a coat over a long sleeve t and called it done.
70 degrees isn't sweating weather... it is perfection.
My Dear, I approach fashion from a different angle. As an engineer, I appreciate the heat transfer concepts used & material science involved in fashion technology .

Development of new clothing material which keeps us comfortable under different conditions is a continuously evolving technology. Engineers are at the heart of understanding how our bodies react to dynamic variations in temperatures and activity rate. We select the appropriate set of materials depending on the conditions the body experiences and is exposed to, and try to determine how the material we have developed for usage is superior to those used earlier. Next step involves testing it on a live human being, and putting our Ideas to work. If the test succeeds, then our task of choosing the right material has succeeded. Else, start all over from step 1.

Hope you found my analysis nerdy and interesting

Old 10-22-2013, 11:35 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
How I dress in cold weather, varies.
Normally I layer but if I'm working hard physically I usually peal down while working then reapply when the work is done.
If I'm only passing the cold to another room to work in , a simple coat takes care of the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty