Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
What would you do if some random security official in the city decides to pat you down because you look out of place. I had this happen to me once 3 years ago just 1 month after I immigrated from India, when I was wearing a hoodie in 70 F weather.
Odds are that random security person would have patted you down if you were wearing a three-piece suit. Unfortunately racial profiling happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 11:25 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,517 times
Quote:
Since when was asking somebody whether something appropriate to wear something considered insecure. I don't want to look out of place and attract unnecessary attention.

What would you do if some random security official in the city decides to pat you down because you look out of place. I had this happen to me once 3 years ago just 1 month after I immigrated from India, when I was wearing a hoodie in 70 F weather.
Dude, as long as you have that skin colour, this is going to happen no matter what.

One sunday I was picked out of a crowd near a subway station by two cops as part of the stop and frisk programme which Bloomdude had. I completely stripped and stood in my boxers because I was so effing mad, coz this was the third time on the same day. They said sorry without making eye contact, and I rolled my clothes into a stash and left the scene in my underwear. Of course I got dressed like 50 yards away. There were a lot of people and I thought they would arrest me for my antics.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:42 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
will I look odd wearing a windbreaker
You will probably look odd anytime *you* think so!

Or ... , we can go the political route and ask first if you democratic or republican ?
On the other hand, what is wrong with *windbreakers* as long as they are not in the Walmart Shopper Classification !

Old 10-16-2013, 03:41 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Quote:
Since when was asking somebody whether something appropriate to wear something considered insecure. I don't want to look out of place and attract unnecessary attention.

Well, if he was just a security guard I might knock him down or better yet, if a real cop, let his badge talk to my badge.

I understand your concern but it seems that after three years here it may be bordering on a bit of paranoia. Relax! In NJ you might even pass for a southern Italian.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:41 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,641 times
It would look a little weird if all you wore was a polo and a windbreaker. Might get you arrested too.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:53 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Wear it! One can wear a heavy coat at 90 F if they want to, although that would be uncomfortable!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Well, since I had a tough time making a set decision, I put one inside my bag but did not wear it since it warmed up quickly and is quite humid today. I will be outside often and need to make a 1.5 mile walk after sunset. I may need a windbreaker then, since they are predicting 61 F with wind and drizzle.
For me that might be a little brisk at the start. However I would quickly warm up and want out of the wind breaker.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:39 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
It was 57 F and overcast with water on the roads, and I drove with my window down. Felt awesome!

Old 10-17-2013, 03:15 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I am sensitive to weather changes and especially in some places they keep it cool I will carry some kind of long sleeved item even if it is warm outside. I don't care what others think because I would rather be comfortable. Really in passing someone I don't notice if someone else is wearing a jacket do you?
If you don't like the wind breaker why not get some other type of clothing for days like this?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:14 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
I think you should wear a belted, lightweight trench cost instead - more stylish than a windbreaker IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty