U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you like Woolen Sweaters
Yes 26 57.78%
No 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 PM
 
Location: For Pig Latin Ess-Pray Ee-Thray
2,182 posts, read 5,303,749 times
Reputation: 3909

Advertisements

I could handle wearing a loose cardigan as a coat but too hot and way too itchy for this old hot broad to wear alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2013, 09:38 PM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Reputation: 38829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
What are you talking about. For Pittsburgh PA winters, you need an T shirt + wool sweater + winter coat + long underwear + pants + snowshoes because its SO FREAKING COLD, CLOUDY, AND WINDY . I always pack lots of wool while heading out to Pittsburgh during winter (which happens very often). It helps retain a lot of heat.
No, I do not need all that.
And it is not all that cold, cloudy or windy.

I don't even own snowshoes (what?) and long underwear... never have.
Long sleeve jersey, jeans and a proper coat do just fine for everyday.
Add ski pants, gloves and a hat for the slopes.

Sounds like you need to live down South.... cold as you claim to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2013, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,522,801 times
Reputation: 6312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No, I do not need all that.
And it is not all that cold, cloudy or windy.

I don't even own snowshoes (what?) and long underwear... never have.
Long sleeve jersey, jeans and a proper coat do just fine for everyday.
Add ski pants, gloves and a hat for the slopes.

Sounds like you need to live down South.... cold as you claim to be.
I live in southern NJ, which gets much warmer winters, I usually wear a winter coat once high temperatures drop below 30 F, and that does not happen very often. I actually like the cold when its sunny and dry. Its the clouds and wind which really annoy me a lot.

For some reason, whenever I travel to Pittsburgh, I feel it is brutally cold, even colder than Chicago. Although, summers are spectacular. 60 F lows are perfect for a refreshing morning run .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Dallas
5,459 posts, read 4,577,627 times
Reputation: 15588
Too scratchy. I like something soft next to my skin. Fleece feels so much nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 09:07 AM
 
2,564 posts, read 3,585,463 times
Reputation: 2944
Unless it's merino or cashmere I usually wear a l/s undershirt because they can be a little scratchy but I still like wearing them. Anybody know where I can get some inexpensive decent quality ones? I have a few that are starting to get holes in them and it's time to replace them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Reputation: 45134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No, I do not need all that.
And it is not all that cold, cloudy or windy.

I don't even own snowshoes (what?) and long underwear... never have.
Long sleeve jersey, jeans and a proper coat do just fine for everyday.
Add ski pants, gloves and a hat for the slopes.

Sounds like you need to live down South.... cold as you claim to be.
Seriously. Unless you're camping outside there's really no need for all of that. Pittsburgh isn't the Alaskan wilderness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 09:19 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Reputation: 21263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Next to the skin, most people really can only wear uber-soft wools like merino or cormo. People with a true wool allergy cannot wear even those.

Merino is my favorite wool to spin at the moment.
Merino is magic! (I spin too).

You have to be SOOOOO careful of felting though.

Sweaters from Leicester and Icelandic are nice too.

I love wearing wool sweaters.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 09:46 AM
 
6,400 posts, read 6,499,594 times
Reputation: 9803
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Merino is magic! (I spin too).

You have to be SOOOOO careful of felting though.

Sweaters from Leicester and Icelandic are nice too.

I love wearing wool sweaters.

20yrsinBranson
With the finer wools, you do have to watch for felting. But, hey, there's a downside to everything, right?

Totally OT, but I have to ask - do you have a wheel, or do you use a drop spindle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,522,801 times
Reputation: 6312
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Seriously. Unless you're camping outside there's really no need for all of that. Pittsburgh isn't the Alaskan wilderness.
Jeez, I only mentioned 3 upper layers and 2 lower layers of clothing and you guys think that's too much for winter . My basic's for a Pittsburgh like winter include a winter coat + long sleeve + short sleeve on the top and a thermal (long underwear) + pants on the bottom with chill insulated shoes and good socks. Most people here in NJ bundle up this way on a 30 F day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Texas
42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Reputation: 66975
It's 37 degrees outside. I'm still ok with one layer (long-sleeved t shirt, sweatshirt...in fact just wearing a regular scrub top right now) for getting from place to place (car to house or to store, etc)...

I do love sweaters, but I do not have occasion to wear them very often. Not because it doesn't get cold here in the winter (20s/30s regularly, sometimes even colder), but because I don't spend a lot of time outdoors in the cold where I wouldn't be wearing workout clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top