U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Woolen Sweaters
Yes 26 57.78%
No 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 PM

12,230 posts, read 1,649,048 times

Advertisements

No, too itchy to me, even when layered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 09:01 PM

23,921 posts, read 31,144,740 times
If it's merino wool, then yes. Otherwise no.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:07 PM

404 posts, read 703,484 times
sweaters are by far my favorite type of clothing to wear

Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,389 times
Default You Bet I Do!

Do I like woolen sweaters... Here's one of four dressers. They're all filled with wool sweaters.

In the next photo, I've very thin merino wool long john top/bottoms and one wool sweater. It's 28 in the photo, there's no wind or sun yet I am fully comfortable. Furthermore, I can go inside the heated house without taking anything off, and wool maintains homeostasis just like it's my own natural head of hair. I'd like to see you do that with synthetics! Furthermore, I don't have to worry about my wool bursting into flame because I'm around a lot of open fires.

Is there a more controversial topic than wool? I feel that it's largely misunderstood due to the effective marketing of synthetics, which yield the wealthy elite more profit. Whether you're in the tropics, desert, or it's cold out, wool has few equals. Cashmere, camel, angora, alpaca, Shetland, virgin, merino and other's I've probably forgotten are simply fantastic. If you think it's itchy, you're simply buying the wrong micron wool. A few people will find wool itchy because they're allergic to the lanolin in it. If this is the case, and you're one of those few exceptions, try angora, camel, or alpaca.

Wool is the:

most durable natural fiber

It's color fast, so it never fades

doesn't conduct electricity

high spontaneous combustion temperature

self extinguishes when catches fire

has a very high range of comfort. unlike most fibers, you can have a 30 - 50 degree comfort zone where as most other fibers natural or synthetic are only 10 degrees.

absorbs the highest percentage of moisture natural or synthetic without feeling damp

maintains 80% of it's insulation even when it's wet.

feels cool in summer and warm in winter. It never overheats.

It's one of the softest fibers bar none

it doesn't use harsh chemicals or petroleum to manufacture

100% natural!

self cleaning

antibacterial

doesn't absorb odors easily and once it does, it will self clean

it doesn't have to be washed often. Just air it out and it will clean and freshen itself

it doesn't wrinkle easily

This list goes on and on!

If you think that wool's itchy, I implore you to give alpaca or merino a try. Read up on the micron of the hair and learn which one to buy. I have worn itchy wool. It's no fun! If you learn how to buy wool, you'll never be disappointed. I wear it year round. I have wool tee shirts for summer and I wear 100% wool underwear year round! I would not put itchy wool on my wobbly bits! Trust me when I state, most wool will be the softest fiber your skin ever enjoyed!

The bottom line is that if you have to follow trends, are bitten by the consumerism bug, and change your wardrobe often, wool's not for you because it's exponentially more expensive. Second hand shops are a boon for cheap wool sweaters. You may want to try some before investing in wool. Other than Jeans, everything I have is wool. Greatcoats, coats, jackets, suits, socks, scarves, gloves... I wear it when I cycle, cut firewood, and you name it. It's the bomb! Oh dear, I've got to go, some alphabet agency's been alerted because I said "bomb."

Cheers and thanks for reading,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 10-27-2013 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here...

Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 PM

2,726 posts, read 3,693,210 times
Here in the desert SW, I have pretty much quit wearing wool. Cotton sweaters are mostly what I wear as the wool is just too hot. I have had some lovely sweaters of cashmere which I feel guilty for not wearing; but the bulky ones are just too warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty