U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,760,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
In the fashionista world or in the high fashion world, it would be considered ghetto. If you are a female trying to make it into the high fashion world with a Coach tote(acting like you're hot) you will be shaded.

But if you're a regular person, then yes, a Coach bag would suit you.

Why is the Coach bag not the business you ask?

It's sold at Macy's (which is basically high end for the working poor)The Michael Kors collection at Macy's is also ridiculed, same with Juicy Couture. Yet again, it's okay to wear these things if you are not trying to be a fashionista or are in high fashion. These brands are upscale for the working poor, basically.

Oh and Dooney and Bourke too.

Try a Celine bag, though I find them overrated.

Then again, this only applies if you are trying to be "high fashion". If that's not what you're doing, then a Coach bag will suit you well.
American classism at it's finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 12:22 PM

21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
There are those here that do not understand that you cannot tell economic class by the appearance of an individual. Plenty of folks with money choose not to spend it on over-priced accoutrements, whether it be a handbag or a motor vehicle. That tends to be one of the reasons they have money.

I carry a Coach bag. You really should not make any assumptions about my economic situation based on that. Care to estimate my annual tax bill based on the "Coach index"?

If the bearer of a Coach bag otherwise looks as if she might be economically deprived, it may be that the bag was five dollar find at a Thrift shop or a yard sale. It could be a fake. It could be a hand-me-down. Who knows? It does not necessarily mean it was bought new at full retail price. I bought mine on sale at an outlet, new but well less than $100.

Then there are those who do not realize that if you look down on those who appear to have less money than you do, you do not have Class.

Oh, I shop at Macy's and Belk, never buy clothing until it is on sale, and wear it until it wears out. I could not care less if it is "out of style." Managed to dress professionally without spending a bundle before I retired (before I was 60, by the way), too.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:45 PM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
1000 is not a lot to some people.
You don't even get the comment because you equate everything in terms of dollars. Wow.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:04 PM

874 posts, read 1,034,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You don't even get the comment because you equate everything in terms of dollars. Wow.
The is so ironic there.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:27 PM

5,514 posts, read 5,496,825 times
Quote:
A good friend of mine made me get rid of all my Coach handbags 3 years ago. I am glad she did because I guess I was oblivious but now I see the most low class people carrying around a Coach handbag. I am unsure where Michael Kors stands, but I have one red handbag from MK.

I went out and bought Louis Vuitton and now I am seeing those all over the place.

What do most of you carry?
No. How do you know if they are real? Coach makes really good bags. MK bags are tacky and a fad.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:06 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
No. How do you know if they are real? Coach makes really good bags. MK bags are tacky and a fad.
MK makes nice bags as well. Most brands make a few great bags. Most brands also have a spectrum on the ways they place their logos on their bags. I have several Coach bags where the only branding is on the closure or removable hang tag. Same with MK. I have other bags with a small logo/hardware on the front.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:52 PM

324 posts, read 492,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post

How are MK bags tacky? Also I think MK has amazing shoes.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:11 PM

262 posts, read 400,164 times
There's nothing wrong with having a Coach bag.

Just don't act like you're special because you have a Coach bag.

There are wanna be fashionistas who think they're something hot because they paid 80 dollars for a 2 year old Coach bag at T.J Maxx.

You guys just don't understand, it's embarrassing.... like Uggs and Yoga pants.

It's like when people thought they were doing something when Marc Jacob did a collection with Target... or when Alexander Wang did a collection with H&M (a glorified Forever 21, I should say)

It's hard to explain, you guys clearly aren't "about that life"

Maybe you guys should take a seat.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
How are MK bags tacky? Also I think MK has amazing shoes.
The Macy's Michael Kors collection is junk...

The REAL Michael Kors is good.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
It's fashion, baby. It's stupid, but we love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty