U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 07:45 PM

123 posts, read 153,872 times

Advertisements

The super rich have a handbag called a Birkin bag. They go for up to 250,000. Youtube around you can see peoples collections. Only a certain very materialistic set of people value having that stuff, and this is the top ten in the world.

Top Ten Most Expensive Womens Handbags
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 10:01 PM

11,423 posts, read 19,433,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
Ugh why are purse brands such a hot topic? Hot as in hot-tempered. Why do people care so much or get all fired up about it? Very weird - interesting.

I never liked Coach. I was a military wife and it was like, the military wife hand-bag. I think they are too big and gawdy looking, really. I am so picky about purses though. Most are too big I think.

I am picky as hell about the color, size and shape of my handbag. I am frugal too. But it has to be perfect in size and shape and color, and fit just under my armpit. Can't have many pockets - prefer just one main pocket. I won't spend more than $30 either. So if I find something that meets all my criteria, then I go for it. My fave was a $25 from a store called Belk. I get a purse and use it till it craps out. Man I loved that Belk purse. Man I can still feel it (OK I'm a dork I know) It was the best purse ever then it crapped out. I still haven't found one as good, and that was like 8 years ago.

Someone bought me a Dooney, so hey you can't beat free. It was tiny, just a touch too small but cute and had a duck symbol and I have a thing for ducks, since I was 3 years old, so I was all on that. It was the best purse since the Belk.

Then a few months ago, I told someone I liked their purse, it was a Dooney too but I didn't care. I just haven't seen a purse that meets my acceptable requirements that well in forever. So she has a drawer full of purses (family member) and just gave me this Dooney. I didn't expect that - that was SO nice of her. It's really good and durable and almost perfect, I just enjoy it. I pick a purse for looks and price alone - shape, etc. NOT brand. I'd never pick based on a brand.

But I'd kill for another one of those Belks. I have spent hours searching for one like it. I do not think there is one in existance. Oh well. That being said, if I saw a Coach for $25 and it looked JUST like that Belk, then yeah I'd buy it although I really dislike Coach (it'll never happen though)
I am the same way! Back when I would have spent that kind on money on a bag, almost all Coach bags had this twist lock clasp thing I DESPISED. I also can't stand zippers, and heaviness, and almost all bags are WAY too big.

My favorite bag was an old Buxton -- back when Buxton was good. It was a leather "wallet on a string" and you can still get it at ebags -- although it's really cheap, and won't hold up well. Mine held up for about 15 years.....

Old 10-20-2013, 10:51 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,811,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I am the same way! Back when I would have spent that kind on money on a bag, almost all Coach bags had this twist lock clasp thing I DESPISED. I also can't stand zippers, and heaviness, and almost all bags are WAY too big.

My favorite bag was an old Buxton -- back when Buxton was good. It was a leather "wallet on a string" and you can still get it at ebags -- although it's really cheap, and won't hold up well. Mine held up for about 15 years.....
LOL sweet it's not just me.
My mom always bought purses that had like, two big main pocket/compartments. Inside those, at least one was divided into another double compartment, then each of the main ones might have a smaller one, then an outside small pocket on the purse itself. OMG I can't stand those kind of bags! I have to have only ONE area, and maybe one small inside pocket can be acceptable.

15 years is amazing! They don't make 'em like they used to. I don't like the twist lock clasp either. I like zippers fine, but my smaller first Dooney, the zipper would fall off. I expect better from something like that. My Belk had a snap but it was more magnetic, so it wasn't something you had to press or pull on and off very hard. It was black and simple, but had some very simple embellishments.

Someone mentioned Fossil before - I got a Fossil wallet at Belk, also - green - I got it in 2005 and am still using it to this day. Holding up perfect. When I find something I like, I will use it until it literally falls apart. I don't buy things like that unless I love it, so no need to replace it. I just don't buy things like that all the time, I'm not one of those women who needs a closet full of pricey, "pretty things" just "because" I was picky about my wallet too. Had to be a certain size with a see-thru front. I'm weird like that yeah, everything has to be a specific size, color, etc LOL...

Old 10-20-2013, 10:54 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,811,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
The super rich have a handbag called a Birkin bag. They go for up to 250,000. Youtube around you can see peoples collections. Only a certain very materialistic set of people value having that stuff, and this is the top ten in the world.

Top Ten Most Expensive Womens Handbags
I don't care how rich I would be! I would never spend money on a stupid bag like that. If I had $250K extra sitting around, I would give it to charity or to the poor or an animal shelter before I'd buy some damn purse. I don't care if anyone believes me or not. What a freakin' waste.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 AM

11,423 posts, read 19,433,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
LOL sweet it's not just me.
My mom always bought purses that had like, two big main pocket/compartments. Inside those, at least one was divided into another double compartment, then each of the main ones might have a smaller one, then an outside small pocket on the purse itself. OMG I can't stand those kind of bags! I have to have only ONE area, and maybe one small inside pocket can be acceptable.

15 years is amazing! They don't make 'em like they used to. I don't like the twist lock clasp either. I like zippers fine, but my smaller first Dooney, the zipper would fall off. I expect better from something like that. My Belk had a snap but it was more magnetic, so it wasn't something you had to press or pull on and off very hard. It was black and simple, but had some very simple embellishments.

Someone mentioned Fossil before - I got a Fossil wallet at Belk, also - green - I got it in 2005 and am still using it to this day. Holding up perfect. When I find something I like, I will use it until it literally falls apart. I don't buy things like that unless I love it, so no need to replace it. I just don't buy things like that all the time, I'm not one of those women who needs a closet full of pricey, "pretty things" just "because" I was picky about my wallet too. Had to be a certain size with a see-thru front. I'm weird like that yeah, everything has to be a specific size, color, etc LOL...
I've actually ditched purses entirely. I carry a BigSkinny wallet in my back pocket and a cell phone in the front. In the wallet I have a handmade calendar on a piece of paper to write appointments on. On my keys I have an Inka pen -- collapsible.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,665,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
A good friend of mine made me get rid of all my Coach handbags 3 years ago. I am glad she did because I guess I was oblivious but now I see the most low class people carrying around a Coach handbag. I am unsure where Michael Kors stands, but I have one red handbag from MK.

I went out and bought Louis Vuitton and now I am seeing those all over the place.

What do most of you carry?
Your friend "made" you?

I think any expensive handbag is utterly ridiculous. For all I know they're all fake. Either way it's all about showing off. Who would want to own a handbag over $50? Wasted money.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Yep and those affluent women are just as tacky and attention seeking as those "low-class" women with their Coach bags.
Yep. Tacky doesn't need a price tag.

It's ghetto no matter how much money is spent, if all you are doing is showing someone else how much more you think you have than them.

My husband and I make great money, we have a nice house on a lake with a pool and lots of toys, but we don't go around telling people. When someone asks where we live we say "Off Dixon Rd". We wear old comfy teeshirts, jeans, and flip-flops or boat shoes, and our vehicles are a 10yo Chevy truck and a 3yo Honda Accord.

Then you've got my neighbors, who drive an Audi, a BMW, and a Mercedes, although one of them is sitting in the street with a flat tire, and has been like that for 6 months. Talk about ghetto.

Oh don't let me forget all the rednecks with their big trucks and expensive big tires and accessories, yet they live in broken-down old mobile homes.

Last but not least, the folks who can afford fancy handbags and spinning rims for their custom painted cars, but live in Section 8 housing.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Omg seriously. Kardashians can afford everything although they don't carry class.
LOL for real. The Kardassians couldn't buy class if it was sold online.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
OP, this says more about you than it does anybody else.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:49 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,046,755 times
Quote:
A good friend of mine made me get rid of all my Coach handbags 3 years ago. I am glad she did because I guess I was oblivious but now I see the most low class people carrying around a Coach handbag.
What is low class is getting rid of a bag that you otherwise seemed to be perfectly happy with because you might be associated with "low class" people - like it was the "lower classes" that made Coach bags popular in the first place!

I swear this is one of the sickest manifestations of our culture, one's status being determined by what we wear, drive or whatever! Status driven consumerism that drives everything from Air Jordans, to Uggs, is a ghetto of the mind and to me is a sure sign of lack of class regardless of what the person's income level is.

I won't buy or wear anything with someone's logo on it, unless the are paying to rent my behind, chest or back. If you want me to advertise, you need to pay. My purchases are based upon the utility and quality of the merchandise period and I don't give a damn what people think or attempt to infer about my status in the world based upon what I own.

Time for folks to get real and reset their values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty