U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 05:42 PM

324 posts, read 492,987 times

Advertisements

Maybe because I live in an affluent area in Denver. LV handbags and hair extensions are standard for women here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 05:49 PM

2,141 posts, read 2,454,186 times
Yep and those affluent women are just as tacky and attention seeking as those "low-class" women with their Coach bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
Maybe because I live in an affluent area in Denver. LV handbags and hair extensions are standard for women here.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:55 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,494,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
A good friend of mine made me get rid of all my Coach handbags 3 years ago. I am glad she did because I guess I was oblivious but now I see the most low class people carrying around a Coach handbag. I am unsure where Michael Kors stands, but I have one red handbag from MK.

I went out and bought Louis Vuitton and now I am seeing those all over the place.

What do most of you carry?

I mean this is the nicest way.....get a life. Get a real life where you accomplish some good for others, where you aren't fixated on yourself, your handbags and most of all money. Low class people are people nonetheless - sometimes they are actually more honorable people than those carrying $1000 handbags - go figure.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:07 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,433,699 times
I agree with Cattknap.

I kinda like the Fossil brand that Macy's carries

Old 10-18-2013, 06:19 PM

18,014 posts, read 17,167,297 times
Well, I go to some place like T.J. Maxx and buy a good leather purse. It will last a few years, maybe more but if I get sick of it I'll just go to T.J. Maxx and buy another one. I am fussy about purses but not in a snobby way.

I want something practical with pockets and compartments where I want them and I want something that is well made. I have never paid over $100 in my life for just a purse. I do believe that at some point all you're buying is a name. Not that I want a vinyl purse that is going to fall apart but just simple good quality. Just forget about impressing other people with..........your purse. It does get tacky.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:28 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,031,321 times
To each their own. For me personally, I haven't carried anything with logos blatantly printed all over since early college. I have about two dozen bags in my collection. A authentic Louis, Gucci and Balenciaga top the list. The rest are from places like Aldo, Macy's, etc. I personally think it's always better to have an understated look with bags, whether they be expensive or not.

There are some celebs, models, etc. that can pull off the crazier styles but I am speaking to 99.9% of the population here. It just makes you look more mature and less insecure. I like making statements with bold colors. But logos, I avoid them like the plague. Whether high-end or not it announces something to the world I don't find particularly becoming. The sad part with many of these girls is they don't understand the way they come across oftentimes.

That air of self-importance when carrying a Gucci knockoff = you aren't fooling anyone and pretty much embarrassing yourself. At least when you carry something without logos no one questions the authenticity. You could carry a $1,000 Gucci logo bag and be wasting your time if it gives the wrong impressions. It is actually working against you. I honestly believe you have more style carrying an $80 nondescript, well-designed bag from wherever than you do rocking something like that. People respond very well to understatement in my experience as long as you understand a well-designed bag from a poorly-designed one.

It's also very important to understand proportions. A larger woman should avoid small bags. Small women look better carrying them. But ironically, very petite women look often amazing carrying large bags. It's really not something to be taken lightly. I went to Barnes and Noble and read several books before I dropped the coin I did on my Balenciaga. I studied the size, shape and look of it before having that inevitable 'it looks great' response from the commissioned and pressured retail professional. I could not imagine dropping nearly 2K blindly. Especially if you're a regular person who works very hard for what they have, like me. I expect that bag to last me at least 10 years, if not more.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 10-18-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 06:34 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,286,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Yep and those affluent women are just as tacky and attention seeking as those "low-class" women with their Coach bags.
Amen!

Money can not buy class. Many of the women with the monogram (logo) LV bags are simply "ghetto" at a higher price point.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,426,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Amen!

Money can not buy class. Many of the women with the monogram (logo) LV bags are simply "ghetto" at a higher price point.
Omg seriously. Kardashians can afford everything although they don't carry class.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:01 PM

13,292 posts, read 10,106,415 times
Are'nt those the handbags that have a lifetime guarantee? If that is so why would it be "ghetto" to own a real one? It seems to me that it would be a better investment then any other handbag since they also last longer. I guess that is coming from a man with "man logic". One more thing, why should you care what anyone else is carrying anyway? That sounds kind of petty to me.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,494,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Are'nt those the handbags that have a lifetime guarantee? If that is so why would it be "ghetto" to own a real one? It seems to me that it would be a better investment then any other handbag since they also last longer. I guess that is coming from a man with "man logic". One more thing, why should you care what anyone else is carrying anyway? That sounds kind of petty to me.
Yet because of perceived knockoff bags being carried by the poor, the OP got rid of all her Coach bags at the direction of her "friend." So status (not wanting her rich self to be confused with the riff-raff) was much more important to her than a handbag with a lifetime guarantee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty