U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 05:43 AM

718 posts, read 565,148 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is into labeled bags, awoke back she showed us her LV that she'd purchased for some ridiculous amount of money. It was fugly! Brown with green circles or polka dots and really looked like vinyl!

I was shocked, she had spent a lot of money on that thing. And it wasn't a knockoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,665,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I've actually ditched purses entirely. I carry a BigSkinny wallet in my back pocket and a cell phone in the front. In the wallet I have a handmade calendar on a piece of paper to write appointments on. On my keys I have an Inka pen -- collapsible.
Me too! Except my wallet is an All-Ett.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 AM

324 posts, read 492,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
I have a friend who is into labeled bags, awoke back she showed us her LV that she'd purchased for some ridiculous amount of money. It was fugly! Brown with green circles or polka dots and really looked like vinyl!

I was shocked, she had spent a lot of money on that thing. And it wasn't a knockoff.

I know the ones you are talking about. I could go to target and purchase a similar bag for $20.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 AM

324 posts, read 492,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I've actually ditched purses entirely. I carry a BigSkinny wallet in my back pocket and a cell phone in the front. In the wallet I have a handmade calendar on a piece of paper to write appointments on. On my keys I have an Inka pen -- collapsible.

So you don't carry around a brush, makeup or a mirror, mints or anything? Thats great. What caught my eye was you carry around a hand written calendar? You can do all that with your phone and that would be one less thing for you to carry.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,263,788 times
I'm carrying a knock-off Betsy Johnson, over the shoulder purse that I love! $20 from Ross. Hoo-ha!

Old 10-22-2013, 04:36 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,759,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
It's fashion, baby. It's stupid, but we love it.
It's one thing to be about fashion. To say you won't be seen wearing or carrying a purse that working class people do or you stop carrying it once they start is classist and just plain dumb. It's not dumb it's idiotic.

Carrying an expensive bag doesn't make you a better or worthy person. At the end of the day no one cares what kind of bag you carry except other shallow people in your silly clique. You aren't curing cancer with your $1,000 Prada bag. Anyone who attaches their value and self-worth to the kind of purse they carry has MAJOR self-esteem issues.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:44 PM

34,525 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Women who pay attention know quality when they see it. It makes no difference if it is designer or not, or whether or not a logo is visible.
It is more about appropriateness than a label. If you are wearing North Face or L L Bean and UGGS in the north woods in January, you show appropriateness. If you are wearing KMart polyester with a Vuitton bag, we assume it is a knock off.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,759,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Women who pay attention know quality when they see it. It makes no difference if it is designer or not, or whether or not a logo is visible.
It is more about appropriateness than a label. If you are wearing North Face or L L Bean and UGGS in the north woods in January, you show appropriateness. If you are wearing KMart polyester with a Vuitton bag, we assume it is a knock off.
And why should anyone care what you think about what they are wearing or carrying? Your opinion is important because________________ (you can fill in the blank at any time).

If you are concerned with what people are wearing, are you willing to pay for it for them? Your opinion plus $0.47 will buy a postage stamp but that's about it.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:18 PM

5,412 posts, read 8,277,963 times
I have never really been that attracted to Coach styling, but I do own one white leather Coach classic tote for casual summer days. I have seen a few of their classic leather satchels that look nice also. But I don't like displaying logos on my handbags/clothes.

I look at the shape, design, fabric, quality of a handbag and how it will complement my wardrobe. I do like certain designers simply because of their styling, and even the long history of some of the brands. I buy handbags at art faires, boutiques, and consignment shops. I've bought a few at retailers. I also collect some vintage designers, just as one collects pieces of art. I would like to hand down my classic purses to my children, my grandchildren.

I consider handbags pieces of art, so will choose form over functionality. When I want functionality, I'll choose a well-made, less expensive back-pack that may be a lesser known brand. E.g. I also like Libaire backpacks, which a previous poster mentioned. They are relatively inexpensive and very well-made of good leathers IMO.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:11 PM

11,423 posts, read 19,433,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
So you don't carry around a brush, makeup or a mirror, mints or anything? Thats great. What caught my eye was you carry around a hand written calendar? You can do all that with your phone and that would be one less thing for you to carry.
Funnily enough, on another discussion about this very thing a while back, another member figured out that my CAR is my purse.

I keep a lipstick, mirror, brush, little pack of Kleenex, Altoids, eyeglass wipers, Shot spot remover towelettes, hand antibacterial wet naps, bandaids, travel Neosporin in my car console.

BUT -- my husband and I are owner operators of a janitorial company, and I can't carry a purse and vacuum. And a number of the places we clean, it's just not safe to leave a purse in the car. And keys are distributed out to a number of vendors, so there is no place that isn't accessable to other people.

As for the hand written calendar -- I don't carry a smart phone, and while my old flip phone has a calendar, it's not for taking down dates and it reminding me. I can fit 6 months on each side of the page and that will give me enough room to write down the reminder, which then gets listed on the master calendar. My life isn't so complicated that I have to write down very much anyway. Pretty much it's M 4:30 every two weeks....for my biweekly massage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty