U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:36 PM

11,432 posts, read 19,443,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
God, I love business cases. Best part of uni, hands down. I could read them all day (even if they all start with some CEO staring out of his window at yachts in the bay).

I digress. There has always been criticism of outlet stores, however, I saw an astounding number of women with the large MK Hamilton ($300+) when I was in NYC, and you can get these on eBay and find loads of MK bags in TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc. - plus they have their own outlet store - so I can't believe it has as great of an effect as naysayers say.
Amazing -- I thought it would have.

But I am not the target market for this stuff. I've always been an odd duck with fashion. I'd rather wear well fitted nice clothing in basics than trends and fashions. And it's such a rare thing for us to dress up at all...... we never do it. And we like it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM

11,432 posts, read 19,443,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
As far as I'm concerned, a bag says absolutely nothing about me other than I don't give a damn what a person thinks. If I carried a bag (which I don't), whether or not I look good carrying it is thoroughly irrelevant.
It should -- a purse is an accessory. It should accommodate your look and your lifestyle. I have some bags -- and they are all small, because I have never needed a large purse, and although I am a large woman, I do not like large accessories. My jewelry is small scaled, rings are small scaled, my hands are smaller and for me a large purse feels like I am carrying a suitcase. They don't fit me.

To me it's all about proportion.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:01 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,935,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
This is possibly one of the most dysfunctional threads I've encountered. It is cracking me up.

It makes me want to go out now and buy a new, loud, logo Coach handbag to see if people look at me funny and whisper when I carry it around a mall, and then document the results. I like doing things that expose judgmental/pretentious/gossipy people at their worst. I think I'm a little dysfunctional with wanting to do that to people. I secretly want to be on one of those John Stossel undercover camera shows exposing the anti-coach snobs out there...LOL
I'm cracking up too!

In reality, strangers are usually too wrapped up in themselves to notice and whisper unless you're really looking weird ... like someone featured in a pic on that website "The People of Walmart." Then you could get a whisper and someone sneakily taking a pic of you. A Coach handbag by itself probably won't do it.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:09 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
Ladies, ladies.....lets all remember we are ladies!

Well, for me, I always figured a purse was something to carry my money in, so, the more money I spent on the purse, the less money I had to put in the purse.........

Old 10-24-2013, 02:13 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I'm cracking up too!

In reality, strangers are usually too wrapped up in themselves to notice and whisper unless you're really looking weird ... like someone featured in a pic on that website "The People of Walmart." Then you could get a whisper and someone sneakily taking a pic of you. A Coach handbag by itself probably won't do it.

I see a lot of Coach handbags on shoppers in Walmart.....they are usually dirty...the handbags, don't know about the shopper

IMO, the one thing that shows true class is cleanliness, and neatness. Even the most expensive items can diminish a person if worn in a slovenly manner.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:19 PM

324 posts, read 492,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I see a lot of Coach handbags on shoppers in Walmart.....they are usually dirty...the handbags, don't know about the shopper

IMO, the one thing that shows true class is cleanliness, and neatness. Even the most expensive items can diminish a person if worn in a slovenly manner.

aren't you in Texas? Women usually dress to the teeth there. they don't walk to the mailbox without makeup and jewelry.

I am in Colorado. It's yoga pants or death here.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:21 PM

839 posts, read 958,501 times
I'm EXTEMELY rough on stuff, and a typical purse falls apart on me in a month or two. Bought my first Dooney and Burke three years ago and it lasted up until earlier this year. It's still actually good, but its canvas, so its discoloring a bit. Bought a purse at Macy's on sale for $20, fell apart in two weeks. Bought another leather one at Kohl's discounted, lasted almost a month. Guess what - went back to Dooney and Burke in June. I still have this purse, no wear yet! I will pay more for something I don't constantly have to replace and lasts! Oh, and my Vera Bradley wallet I bought at same time very much falling apart, should have bought a Dooney wallet too, that's what I get for being cheap!

Old 10-24-2013, 02:24 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,935,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
aren't you in Texas? Women usually dress to the teeth there. they don't walk to the mailbox without makeup and jewelry.

I am in Colorado. It's yoga pants or death here.
Have you been watching Dallas reruns?

Texas is a big state. Some areas are "dress to the teeth to go to the mailbox" with the upper middle class and socialites. But then you have your bikers, meth heads, welfare cases, ghetto mamas, rednecks, dirtbags ... etc. etc. etc. It is a well-populated state and the Junior League and DAR ladies prancing through your imagination are unfortunately in the minority.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:33 PM

324 posts, read 492,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Have you been watching Dallas reruns?

Texas is a big state. Some areas are "dress to the teeth to go to the mailbox" with the upper middle class and socialites. But then you have your bikers, meth heads, welfare cases, ghetto mamas, rednecks, dirtbags ... etc. etc. etc. It is a well-populated state and the Junior League and DAR ladies prancing through your imagination are unfortunately in the minority.

I lived there for a couple years in Dallas. Everyone dressed up. I remember when I first moved there and saw women in their 40's in 100 degree heat with perfect makeup, sparkly hats, perfect hair just skipping around the grocery store. The ones I knew that worked wore dresses everyday, never saw then in Denim, even on weekends.

I do remember the little towns outside Dallas, but it's like that everywhere in small towns.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:02 PM

874 posts, read 1,034,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ladies, ladies.....lets all remember we are ladies!

Well, for me, I always figured a purse was something to carry my money in, so, the more money I spent on the purse, the less money I had to put in the purse.........
Hilarious. That reminds me of a funny comment I saw regarding the new iPad Air -- it'll make your wallet the slimmest and lightest, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty