U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2013, 12:29 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,680 posts, read 42,823,353 times
Reputation: 57392

Advertisements

I like quality, but I have a policy to not buy anything with a visible logo. Why should I pay money to give free advertising to some swishy designer...especially a foreign one?

I couldn't care less about impressing some slave to status symbols either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2013, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,973,592 times
Reputation: 7250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Uh, no...Let's say you need what how many, at one time FOUR handbags. (a tote, clutch, daily workhorse like a satchel or hobo, and one other of whatever type. First, most women have more than, but let's concede that they are guaranteed for life. At the LV, Hermes, Chanel, Celine and Goyard price point those four bags could EASILY cost 5,000.

At $50 a bag just for easy math, I could by bags for my entire life -- of different styles, colors, sizes -- whatever (not just four).....and not total $5,000.



As a passing curiosity, I just marvel at the sociology and psychology of consumer patterns...it involves person beliefs (that people will admit and won't admit, the subconscious, societal conformity, thoughts about money....all that.

I have a good friend who declares she just likes Hermes, LV, Celine, and Chanel because of the bag designs -- they LOOK good, and will last. Funny thing is though she never happens to like ANYTHING that's NOT expensive designer.

Right now she's into Hermes scarves -- bandana size mind you not even the larger ones -- at 450.00. I go with her to shop and I do see that they are gorgeous. BUT I'm not spending 450.00 on a scarf when I can get one that (in my mind) looks just as nice, and will get compliments also -- for 5.00. ANd I make more than her, and my mortgage is less than hers. BUT.....most people have their thing that they will spend money on ( for me it's food, a good meal and the finest restaurants).

Soooo, if someone what to carry a designer logo bag -- fake or real...I might find it interesting, but it is THEIR business. I just don't want them costing me any money as a TAXPAYER!
You underestimate greatly. Go look at their webpages and see what four handbags of the varieties you list would cost in total ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,973,592 times
Reputation: 7250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
I noticed nobody commented on the yoga pants. lol Hard to defend except they are comfy and make your ass look hot, but is it classy?
I assume they are for wearing when practicing yoga. Would you wear a tennis dress out and about when not playing tennis because it makes your legs look hot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village Colorado
324 posts, read 493,646 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Uh, no...Let's say you need what how many, at one time FOUR handbags. (a tote, clutch, daily workhorse like a satchel or hobo, and one other of whatever type. First, most women have more than, but let's concede that they are guaranteed for life. At the LV, Hermes, Chanel, Celine and Goyard price point those four bags could EASILY cost 5,000.

At $50 a bag just for easy math, I could by bags for my entire life -- of different styles, colors, sizes -- whatever (not just four).....and not total $5,000.



As a passing curiosity, I just marvel at the sociology and psychology of consumer patterns...it involves person beliefs (that people will admit and won't admit, the subconscious, societal conformity, thoughts about money....all that.

I have a good friend who declares she just likes Hermes, LV, Celine, and Chanel because of the bag designs -- they LOOK good, and will last. Funny thing is though she never happens to like ANYTHING that's NOT expensive designer.

Right now she's into Hermes scarves -- bandana size mind you not even the larger ones -- at 450.00. I go with her to shop and I do see that they are gorgeous. BUT I'm not spending 450.00 on a scarf when I can get one that (in my mind) looks just as nice, and will get compliments also -- for 5.00. ANd I make more than her, and my mortgage is less than hers. BUT.....most people have their thing that they will spend money on ( for me it's food, a good meal and the finest restaurants).

Soooo, if someone what to carry a designer logo bag -- fake or real...I might find it interesting, but it is THEIR business. I just don't want them costing me any money as a TAXPAYER!

I have a friend just like that. She is a wonderful person but has way more money than myself. For her to purchase these items is nothing, for me I have to make sacrifices but it's doable.

I think when people have that much money they buy these things... because the simply can. Like the scarves you mentioned, yes I seen them too and I thought it was NUTS! My friend even bought a 680 key chain because it said Louis Vuitton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,973,592 times
Reputation: 7250
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I just want to add my two cents to this thread. I am a guy who likes woman. All of you woman buying 1-2000 dollar hand bags are ridiculous and you should really get your priorities straight. I can't imagine the need. And trust me, guys don't give two sh ts about hand bags, nails, or any of that other crap. When we look at you women, we look at your face, body shape, hair, etc. We could care less what kind of bag you carry or how much you paid for it. I'm sure many women even think this. I think I can actually speak for most men on this issue regarding designer handbags. The media is creating a bunch of cows. Everyone just follows the next person, no matter how much it costs. It's idiotic if you ask me. I can't see how any of those stupid purses can cost so much. Are they made of diamonds or something? Heck, for that price it better make me a sandwich and play sportscenter! I just think that it's very dumb. That's just my opinion. Take it for what it is.
And what do you say to all the men out there making Armani rich buying his overpriced suits when they could get much more for their money buying suits at Macys? Or those men buying expensive shoes and $300 dollar pairs of socks? How about those men wasting their money on the Rolex watches when a Timex will tell the time just as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village Colorado
324 posts, read 493,646 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I assume they are for wearing when practicing yoga. Would you wear a tennis dress out and about when not wearing tennis because it makes your legs look hot?
Have you been living under a rock? Yoga pants are the new uniform most women wear 24/7.

I don't think one of them does yoga, jogs or any physical activity. They wear them grocery shopping, picking up kids at school, car wash, sport events, bars you name it. The canned response is, well I just got out of yoga class and didn't have time to change.

I really dont needs stats to know that 80 percent of the female population in the US are taking yoga class.

So when it comes to people spouting off what 'class' is, probably a good percentage that replied here were typing their responses whilst wearing yoga pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,973,592 times
Reputation: 7250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
Have you been living under a rock? Yoga pants are the new uniform most women wear 24/7.

I don't think one of them does yoga, jogs or any physical activity. They wear them grocery shopping, picking up kids at school, car wash, sport events, bars you name it. The canned response is, well I just got out of yoga class and didn't have time to change.

I really dont needs stats to know that 80 percent of the female population in the US are taking yoga class.

So when it comes to people spouting off what 'class' is, probably a good percentage that replied here were typing their responses whilst wearing yoga pants.
LMAO! No, I guess I have been spending too much time in the office and not interacting enough with the stay at home mom crowd to know what their preferred daily "uniform" is. Is it like wearing sweatpants? I think sweatpants are awful and I don't even own a pair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Oceania
8,623 posts, read 5,905,804 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Ah yes, I do believe those in the ghetto spend $300+ on purses.

I'm a guy and this seemed interesting. The ghetto must be all of America because women of all color/socioeconomic classes are subject to doing so unless they have an abundance of common sense and self control.

I have seen women from ghetto neighbor hoods on the subway and they do get hung up on designer names. Same with those from upscale hoods. Ugg boots are another item I see far too often - even in the middle of summer.

The funny thing about all of this is I see street vendors selling knockoffs of all of this stuff for $20. I suspect a lot of women are buying this stuff. On the ridiculous side of it there are women who will put the name brand purse/shoes/cell phone ahead of other needs on their priority list. How many car payments is a designer handbag worth?
As I read earlier, men don't really care3 about the accessories unless it is something that grabs a particular guy's eye. I like quality so I might like the stitching of a leather purse but unless it is in a car or at a table with me I don't notice. I don't know one brand from another.

Let's apply the same logic to $$$ tennis shoes/boots/jackets. How is a pair of Chinese made rubber tennis shoes - made in the same factory as those sold at Walmart - worth $100+? It is mind boggling. Is the logo 'North Face' an international sign designating it in the 'Super Cool' class of human life?

As for the Bugatti vs old Ford PU...I'll take the Bugatti and sell it for a fleet of old cars - an old Ford PU might be one. Does anyone know what it takes to feed a Bugatti? Insure it and pay for the maintenance for a year and you bought your old Ford PU. Can I drive the Bugatti down to the river with my dog in the front seat, let him swim and then jump back into the car to ride home?
A Bugatti is less practical than a Smart Car. Gimmee a brand new soft top Jeep For putting around town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Rochester, N.Y
2,725 posts, read 3,967,354 times
Reputation: 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
And what do you say to all the men out there making Armani rich buying his overpriced suits when they could get much more for their money buying suits at Macys? Or those men buying expensive shoes and $300 dollar pairs of socks? How about those men wasting their money on the Rolex watches when a Timex will tell the time just as well?

Same thing. However, if it's people in NYC who work on wall st, that might make a difference because they can afford it and I know that people who work for big investment/ finance companies are encouraged to dress like that. But if it wasn't for that, I would say the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 02:14 PM
 
Location: in my mind
4,616 posts, read 6,131,809 times
Reputation: 9155
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I just want to add my two cents to this thread. I am a guy who likes woman. All of you woman buying 1-2000 dollar hand bags are ridiculous and you should really get your priorities straight. I can't imagine the need. And trust me, guys don't give two sh ts about hand bags, nails, or any of that other crap. When we look at you women, we look at your face, body shape, hair, etc. We could care less what kind of bag you carry or how much you paid for it. I'm sure many women even think this. I think I can actually speak for most men on this issue regarding designer handbags. The media is creating a bunch of cows. Everyone just follows the next person, no matter how much it costs. It's idiotic if you ask me. I can't see how any of those stupid purses can cost so much. Are they made of diamonds or something? Heck, for that price it better make me a sandwich and play sportscenter! I just think that it's very dumb. That's just my opinion. Take it for what it is.
You are of course entitled to your opinion, but you seem to think that women care what men (incl. you) think about their accessories etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top