U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-19-2013, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Rochester, N.Y
2,725 posts, read 3,966,409 times
Reputation: 4650

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
You are of course entitled to your opinion, but you seem to think that women care what men (incl. you) think about their accessories etc.

Actually if you read my second post, I said that I thought that women really don't do it for men, but to compete with women. It's a social status thing. Like, showing off. I can afford a three thousand dollar douche-bag lol. You are carrying a forty dollar TJ max bag. I'm classier, more well off and cooler. Why, because some gay designer says so? It's funny how most gay guys control what women wear. It's utterly odd if you really think about it. They are not even the guys you would normally try to impress. I think women once again do this more to compete with women and that men are a tiny, tiny fraction of why they might buy them.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2013, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Dallas
5,466 posts, read 4,588,924 times
Reputation: 15594
There's a big difference between women who buy designer items because of the name status and those that just gravitate toward quality made items and are willing to pay a premium for them.

I dislike any logos on handbags but like ones that are well made of buttery leather and have a classic look to them. I can find them in thrift stores for a fraction of their original price. I currently have a vintage Coach bag in excellent condition and find it laughable if anyone considers me "ghetto" for carrying it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village Colorado
324 posts, read 493,518 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
There's a big difference between women who buy designer items because of the name status and those that just gravitate toward quality made items and are willing to pay a premium for them.

I dislike any logos on handbags but like ones that are well made of buttery leather and have a classic look to them. I can find them in thrift stores for a fraction of their original price. I currently have a vintage Coach bag in excellent condition and find it laughable if anyone considers me "ghetto" for carrying it.

I don't think so at all. I have an old Coach handbag, it's black and no logos. It's honestly the best handbag I own.

I think Coach did themselves a disservice with all the obnoxious logo purses they put out. Same goes for Ralph Laureen and the giant polo player on the shirts and his new cologne line that smells like it came from bath and body.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village Colorado
324 posts, read 493,518 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Actually if you read my second post, I said that I thought that women really don't do it for men, but to compete with women. It's a social status thing. Like, showing off. I can afford a three thousand dollar douche-bag lol. You are carrying a forty dollar TJ max bag. I'm classier, more well off and cooler. Why, because some gay designer says so? It's funny how most gay guys control what women wear. It's utterly odd if you really think about it. They are not even the guys you would normally try to impress. I think women once again do this more to compete with women and that men are a tiny, tiny fraction of why they might buy them.

True, women do dress for women. Honestly we are a bunch of shallow competitive idiots. Designers love us.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:19 PM
 
35,121 posts, read 37,884,390 times
Reputation: 61848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
True, women do dress for women. Honestly we are a bunch of shallow competitive idiots. Designers love us.

Keep that shallow competitive idiot blanket on YOURSELF
and KEEP IT OFF OF ME.

I could care less who wears or carries what and I care even less than that what someone else thinks of what I wear or carry.
I have never felt the need to "keep up with anyone" and will never feel that need. I am also not into designer crap, labels, frou frou, gawdy, neon, barely there, over the top anything.
As long as all of my parts are covered and I am comfortable I'm good.

This is like me saying that I'm hoity toity because I wear Keds Sneakers.....HAHAHA,
I wear Keds Sneakers because they are comfortable and I like the colors that I can get.
I have had one person say something about my Keds and they told me they liked the color.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village Colorado
324 posts, read 493,518 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Keep that shallow competitive idiot blanket on YOURSELF
and KEEP IT OFF OF ME.

I could care less who wears or carries what and I care even less than that what someone else thinks of what I wear or carry.
I have never felt the need to "keep up with anyone" and will never feel that need. I am also not into designer crap, labels, frou frou, gawdy, neon, barely there, over the top anything.
As long as all of my parts are covered and I am comfortable I'm good.

This is like me saying that I'm hoity toity because I wear Keds Sneakers.....HAHAHA,
I wear Keds Sneakers because they are comfortable and I like the colors that I can get.
I have had one person say something about my Keds and they told me they liked the color.

No need to be so defensive, maybe because you're not being honest with yourself. It's not all about designer items. Women have competed against each other since the beginning of time. Thinner, prettier, dress nicer, more boyfriends etc...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:54 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,671 posts, read 42,807,149 times
Reputation: 57387
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
And what do you say to all the men out there making Armani rich buying his overpriced suits when they could get much more for their money buying suits at Macys? Or those men buying expensive shoes and $300 dollar pairs of socks? How about those men wasting their money on the Rolex watches when a Timex will tell the time just as well?
My DH has a Rolex, but he wears a cheap watch most of the time, and every time he goes to wear the Rolex, it has stopped so has to be reset (we should buy a $100. auto winder LOL). The running joke is, you have to spend a lot less if you want a watch that really tells time.

He used to have an MGB, years ago, which was super cute and trendy, but it was always broken...same joke about that car.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:56 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,671 posts, read 42,807,149 times
Reputation: 57387
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I assume they are for wearing when practicing yoga. Would you wear a tennis dress out and about when not playing tennis because it makes your legs look hot?
I totally would.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 05:45 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,292 posts, read 10,111,385 times
Reputation: 3535
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I like quality, but I have a policy to not buy anything with a visible logo. Why should I pay money to give free advertising to some swishy designer...especially a foreign one?

I couldn't care less about impressing some slave to status symbols either.

I could not have stated that any better
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 05:46 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,292 posts, read 10,111,385 times
Reputation: 3535
This is the reason why Americans have always been the number one consumers of stuff that we really do not need. I read that there is a tee shirt that cost over a grand and people are buying them like crazy.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top