Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 07:02 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,187,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, I go to some place like T.J. Maxx and buy a good leather purse. It will last a few years, maybe more but if I get sick of it I'll just go to T.J. Maxx and buy another one. I am fussy about purses but not in a snobby way.

I want something practical with pockets and compartments where I want them and I want something that is well made. I have never paid over $100 in my life for just a purse. I do believe that at some point all you're buying is a name. Not that I want a vinyl purse that is going to fall apart but just simple good quality. Just forget about impressing other people with..........your purse. It does get tacky.
I'm all about quality handbags over labels myself. You have to be careful these days because even a lot of so-called designer or name-brand purses are made out of PVC that fall apart (especially the handles) if you want a leather bag.

If you want a practical bag that is sturdy, well-made and has lots of compartments for your essentials, you should get a Baggallini I bought my first Baggallini over the summer and I'm absolutely in love with it! I was looking for a good purse that was more practical to carry when traveling. I also went from driving to using public transit and when you are on public transit, you tend to need to carry more things and need a backpack. Carrying regular purses with a backpack was just becoming too cumbersome and I wanted a good cross-body bag.

I went shopping in the discount department stores (Ross, TJ Maxx) and just couldn't find the right bag. So I decided to go to the thrift store with a friend to try my luck there. While there she found for me a brand new Baggalini purse. She said it was a great brand and she was right. It was exactly the kind bag I was looking for.

If you want practical and organization yet cute, Baggallini bags are designed just for that purpose. Granted I paid $5 for mine brand new at the thrift store, they retail starting at $30 for really small purses and go up from there. I don't believing in paying lots of money for purses either, but I will pay $100 to get another Baggalini! It really is a great bag to have when you want practicality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 08:26 AM

262 posts, read 544,619 times
In the fashionista world or in the high fashion world, it would be considered ghetto. If you are a female trying to make it into the high fashion world with a Coach tote(acting like you're hot) you will be shaded.

But if you're a regular person, then yes, a Coach bag would suit you.

Why is the Coach bag not the business you ask?

It's sold at Macy's (which is basically high end for the working poor)The Michael Kors collection at Macy's is also ridiculed, same with Juicy Couture. Yet again, it's okay to wear these things if you are not trying to be a fashionista or are in high fashion. These brands are upscale for the working poor, basically.

Oh and Dooney and Bourke too.

Try a Celine bag, though I find them overrated.

Then again, this only applies if you are trying to be "high fashion". If that's not what you're doing, then a Coach bag will suit you well.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:02 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,693,906 times
that POS is not a Coach in the photo, I'm pretty sure.

Some people are just loyal to the brand no matter what other choose to make up rules for. I like 'em. Take it or leave it. Go ahead and look down your nose at me, I will be laughing all the way to the bank. Not every pair of shoes are JChoos in Kates closet.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 AM

262 posts, read 544,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
that POS is not a Coach in the photo, I'm pretty sure.
It's a Celine bag.

The celebrities like 'em.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:12 AM

2,620 posts, read 4,016,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
And what do you say to all the men out there making Armani rich buying his overpriced suits when they could get much more for their money buying suits at Macys? Or those men buying expensive shoes and $300 dollar pairs of socks? How about those men wasting their money on the Rolex watches when a Timex will tell the time just as well?
Meh, I'm not a guy, and don't necessarily think $1K suits are required, but spending more for a well-tailored suit goes a long way over an expensive bag. A $1K purse is less justifiable when a leather bag between $100-$250, or possibly less can do just as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Oh please......your opinion of me makes no difference to me now or ever
I am more honest than you could ever fathom in this lifetime
I have never and will never "compete" for a man, the whole boyfriend, dates, relationships, marriage has never been a top priority for me.
I live my life the way I want and if I had a boyfriend great, if I didn't great.
Also, I am not being defensive I am telling the truth, there is no blanket statement that fits all women because some of us really don't give a hoot owl's puke about what the rest of you think of us.
I see your point, but if you're not being defensive, why the need for bold font?

Old 10-20-2013, 09:14 AM

324 posts, read 652,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
Oh and Dooney and Bourke too.

Try a Celine bag, though I find them overrated.

Then again, this only applies if you are trying to be "high fashion". If that's not what you're doing, then a Coach bag will suit you well.
so over
Attached Thumbnails
Coach handbags ghetto?-1375728_10151724268042104_1131397680_n.jpg  

Old 10-20-2013, 10:25 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,385,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
A good friend of mine made me get rid of all my Coach handbags 3 years ago. I am glad she did because I guess I was oblivious but now I see the most low class people carrying around a Coach handbag. I am unsure where Michael Kors stands, but I have one red handbag from MK.

I went out and bought Louis Vuitton and now I am seeing those all over the place.

What do most of you carry?
Coach isn't as aspirational as it used to be. It was never as fashionable and other brands and does not cost as much as LV or any of the other LVMH brands. People have taken its understated elegance for granted. That is probably why you see it everywhere.

30 years ago, poor people weren't carrying around $500 bags. 20 years ago, poor people started to hear about it. Now everyone does it, so I wouldn't be surprised. You might see someone wearing a $800 pair of Gucci sneakers in the 'hood it isn't that big of a deal.

I wouldn't say that Coach itself has become ghetto. But I would suggest that the ghetto tries to be fashionable more than they did before, when people dressed according to their lot in life.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:57 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,438,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
so over
Thank you for posting that pic! Yes, Celine bags are also over. Basically, when you see the Kardashians or any of the Real Housewives mentioning a brand, its time to stop using it (or forget about buying it). Same goes for Louboutins and Jimmy Choos for now. And I mustn't forget to mention the LV monogram line, as well.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:49 AM

192 posts, read 320,582 times
Ouch, I can't imagine that you really said this...and what do you mean low class people? SMH

Old 10-20-2013, 11:51 AM

192 posts, read 320,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I mean this is the nicest way.....get a life. Get a real life where you accomplish some good for others, where you aren't fixated on yourself, your handbags and most of all money. Low class people are people nonetheless - sometimes they are actually more honorable people than those carrying $1000 handbags - go figure.
Very well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty