U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:40 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,378,200 times

Advertisements

By the way charisma has nothing to do with looks, my brother isn't exactly an Adonis.

Maybe it is confidence, but I don't think so. I had it even when I was a depressed and anxious teenager.

I think it's like actors, some have the power on film. You meet them in real life and you'd barely know it was them, but once they appear on film they are electric and command all attention. Star quality they call it.

Just one of those things you can't quite put your finger on, which seems unrelated to any other factor such as good looks.

Benecio del Torro is a great example of this, as is Ryan Gosling who is absolutely gorgeous without being traditionally handsome. If you look only at his face, he actually has a face for comedy not romantic leads. He is far more "quirky" in his facial features than say, George Clooney who has the regular even features we are used to in our leading men, but his charisma completely overwhelms this and he is one of the most versatile, lusted after actors around.

But he works out so I suppose he's "artificial" too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 03:28 PM

12,775 posts, read 9,452,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
By the way charisma has nothing to do with looks, my brother isn't exactly an Adonis.

Maybe it is confidence, but I don't think so. I had it even when I was a depressed and anxious teenager.

I think it's like actors, some have the power on film. You meet them in real life and you'd barely know it was them, but once they appear on film they are electric and command all attention. Star quality they call it.

Just one of those things you can't quite put your finger on, which seems unrelated to any other factor such as good looks.

Benecio del Torro is a great example of this, as is Ryan Gosling who is absolutely gorgeous without being traditionally handsome. If you look only at his face, he actually has a face for comedy not romantic leads. He is far more "quirky" in his facial features than say, George Clooney who has the regular even features we are used to in our leading men, but his charisma completely overwhelms this and he is one of the most versatile, lusted after actors around.

But he works out so I suppose he's "artificial" too...
The way I look at it is this. If you put on the makeup, the false hair, this n that to reel em in, then you are in fear of what they will think when they see the real you. That's fake to me. I've been there, in mortal fear of them seeing me ala naturale - it's not a good way to live or present yourself to the world. We can even fool ourselves into thinking this is the real me, when it isn't.
I do think the world would be a better place if we weren't so obsessed with looks and fashion, then we'd concentrate on who we are inside, and not the superficial packaging to sell the product.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
The way I look at it is this. If you put on the makeup, the false hair, this n that to reel em in, then you are in fear of what they will think when they see the real you. That's fake to me. I've been there, in mortal fear of them seeing me ala naturale - it's not a good way to live or present yourself to the world. We can even fool ourselves into thinking this is the real me, when it isn't.
I do think the world would be a better place if we weren't so obsessed with looks and fashion, then we'd concentrate on who we are inside, and not the superficial packaging to sell the product.
So your problem is exclusively with women who self improve. Surprise surprise.

I'll just save you some time and indignation by telling you now that none of those women you're judging give a big rats bum if guys like you like make up or not. They aren't looking for guys like you, as you probably have realised by now.

Women wear makeup and pretty clothes for themselves not to get judged by men. It's the same principle as playing with dolls and absolutely zero reflection on character. We don't give a toss about the doll getting the date, its all about the hair and the shoes and the makeup. It's a natural feminine behaviour which is endemic to the breed. Get over it.

You are being beyond shallow yourself by judging makeup and hair extension (!!!!) wearing women as "fake" based simply on their way of playing a private game of dress up dolly. All women preen, it means nothing apart from, we like pretty things.

It's not a personality flaw.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,475,999 times
I have it, but now what should I do with it? Want me to throw it back? 0_O

Old 10-21-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
So your problem is exclusively with women who self improve. Surprise surprise.

I'll just save you some time and indignation by telling you now that none of those women you're judging give a big rats bum if guys like you like make up or not. They aren't looking for guys like you, as you probably have realised by now.

Women wear makeup and pretty clothes for themselves not to get judged by men. It's the same principle as playing with dolls and absolutely zero reflection on character. We don't give a toss about the doll getting the date, its all about the hair and the shoes and the makeup. It's a natural feminine behaviour which is endemic to the breed. Get over it.

You are being beyond shallow yourself by judging makeup and hair extension (!!!!) wearing women as "fake" based simply on their way of playing a private game of dress up dolly. All women preen, it means nothing apart from, we like pretty things.

It's not a personality flaw.
You're lieing to your self or to me or both. I am a female and I know what I'm talking about. You preen more for eachother than anyone else. You want to turn the heads of the cutest guy, it's the challange, you want to outdo eachother. Guys don't give a damn what brand shoes you have on, or how much your jewelry cost, or how fashionable you are. They either like what they see or they don't. They want to sleep with you or they don't. That does not mean they want to buy the package and pay for all that crap so you can outdo your girly friends and prance around like your somethin special. It means nothing! You will attract people that are just as shallow and self-centered as you are. Such a waste. Meanwhile your mind turns to mush.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You're lieing to your self or to me or both. I am a female and I know what I'm talking about. You preen more for eachother than anyone else. You want to turn the heads of the cutest guy, it's the challange, you want to outdo eachother. Guys don't give a damn what brand shoes you have on, or how much your jewelry cost, or how fashionable you are. They either like what they see or they don't. They want to sleep with you or they don't. That does not mean they want to buy the package and pay for all that crap so you can outdo your girly friends and prance around like your somethin special. It means nothing! You will attract people that are just as shallow and self-centered as you are. Such a waste. Meanwhile your mind turns to mush.
If you're a female, why are you generalising and stereotyping other females?

You know we are far more complex than that...or you should know.

Personally I couldn't give a chit what brand shoes the other girls got. I buy things for ME, my enjoyment, not for "turning heads" or competing. The pleasure I get out of a new lipstick is enormous. You're right, men don't care what shade we wear, so why is the lipstick industry worth billions pa? Following your theory, you should only be able to buy 2 or 3 colours.

No, the choice is endless, and why?

Because WOMEN LIKE LIPSTICK regardless of their station in life, married, engaged, in love, out of love, in a nunnery, in an old folks home.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
If you're a female, why are you generalising and stereotyping other females?

You know we are far more complex than that...or you should know.

Personally I couldn't give a chit what brand shoes the other girls got. I buy things for ME, my enjoyment, not for "turning heads" or competing. The pleasure I get out of a new lipstick is enormous. You're right, men don't care what shade we wear, so why is the lipstick industry worth billions pa? Following your theory, you should only be able to buy 2 or 3 colours.

No, the choice is endless, and why?

Because WOMEN LIKE LIPSTICK regardless of their station in life, married, engaged, in love, out of love, in a nunnery, in an old folks home.
No, all of us don't. You are the one that is generalizing. I don't need 150 shades of lipstick, most of the time I don't wear any. What concerns me is the torture of animals so you can have a wet-lip look that makes your teeth appear whiter. It's all show, is my point, and only serves to impress like-minded. Such a waste of time and energy imo.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:25 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,989,217 times
I've been told I have "it." People tend to really love my personality. I think confidence plays a huge role, though.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:58 AM

2,768 posts, read 2,317,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I've been told I have "it." People tend to really love my personality. I think confidence plays a huge role, though.
It's a fortunate thing to have.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:00 AM

2,768 posts, read 2,317,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I have it, but now what should I do with it? Want me to throw it back? 0_O
No, you gotta' work it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or