U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:01 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,361,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I thought about having this done for my niece's wedding, so I did a little research. Gel removal -- the soaking in acetone is very hard on nails. Dries them out and causes a lot of problems. It's not the first time, nor the second -- it's accumulation of usage that wrecks your nails.

Then you have to cut your nails short and use something else.

When I did the Barielle cream, it took about a six weeks or so for my nails to get better -- the old wretched nails had to grow out and be cut off before the new growth was all the way out and acting better.

As I said before I have crappy nails -- and my nail shape means I can't have long fingernails anyway. I decided to keep up with the Barielle -- and a container is expensive, but you hardly use ANY so it lasts forever.

Was this hard or soft gel? With gellish it looks very very easy to remove. I hope my soft gel thats on the way by post is equally soft & easy to remove. Will let you know. You need to find a very soft gel. A hard gel will accumulate & bond with your own nail so its a no no.When you take hard gel off, nails will be wrecked. In theory a soft gel can be taken off easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 01:04 PM

324 posts, read 492,878 times
found this Amazon.com: Konad Premium French Manicure Nail Stamping Kit FAST SHIPPING: Beauty

and this Amazon.com: Bundle 3 Items: Konad Nail Art Mini Set Polish, Stamper, & Scraper + Image Plate M19 French Tips + A-viva Nail File: Everything Else

Old 10-21-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
Have you tried this kit yet?
Are you referring to Konad kit for French, yes I have tried. Its pretty doable once you get the hang of it. Initially my husband did it for me. With practice its easy.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Are you referring to Konad kit for French, yes I have tried. Its pretty doable once you get the hang of it. Initially my husband did it for me. With practice its easy.

How did it look? I been doing the shellac for a long time now and I like the look I am lucky because I have super strong nails but I am sure they are taking a beating with shellac all the time

Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 PM

Yup but if you can get a double stamper even better. Its normally pink with two green edges just like in the video. You dont need to buy a scraper. I use old card. I hate that the scraper is metal & you dont want to scrap into the design. Instead of buying a kit with a scraper, I'd invest in one with a better stamper if you can.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
How did it look? I been doing the shellac for a long time now and I like the look I am lucky because I have super strong nails but I am sure they are taking a beating with shellac all the time
It looks amazing with experience of course. I intend to use the Bluesky instead of Gelish in a plain color, nude etc so I get a strong gel nail then I will do designs on it with Konad. Basically I will cure the base coat and use the white Konad for a French then another Konad for a small design then cure the whole thing with a top coat.

la french manucure au stamping (konad) par chez-delaney.com - YouTube

I LOVE designs.

Do you do your own Shellac? Is it easy?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:20 PM

No, I have my nails done once a month, which sometimes thats too long in between mani's This is why I was looking for other systems to use at home

Old 10-21-2013, 02:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,366,795 times
I too have weak splitting nails and through care I have been able to grow them. I manicure them myself. I cant afford acrylic and it ruins your nails, I imagine shellac would too so I'm not going there.

Plus I like to change the colours every week

A manicure will last a week if I do it properly and then care for it.

Some of it depends on what products you use. I have an excellent 3 in one strengthener from Essie which I love, also I use China Glaze or Essie laquers. Laquer is more durable than varnish.

Also the shape you file them in has something to do with it, something I never suspected. A friend is an ex manicurist and showed me the correct way to shape and cut a nail which actually makes it stronger. I don't know why I got to 48 without ever learning this but it's all about the angle.

I also take supplements which helps enormously, and wear rubber gloves for everything.

There are tricks to make the laquer stay on longer too, such as roughing up your base coat while its still sticky. It makes the surface rougher which makes the polish stick harder.

Lovely home manicures can be achieved without baking or stripping the heck out of your nails or having to resort to the semi-permanent.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I too have weak splitting nails and through care I have been able to grow them. I manicure them myself. I cant afford acrylic and it ruins your nails, I imagine shellac would too so I'm not going there.

Shellac is supposedly a soft gel. When they promote it, they say it can be removed easily like in 10minutes with acetone & its supposedly NOT supposed to ruin your natural nails. Maybe Freely can chime in?

Plus I like to change the colours every week

A manicure will last a week if I do it properly and then care for it.

Some of it depends on what products you use. I have an excellent 3 in one strengthener from Essie which I love, also I use China Glaze or Essie laquers. Laquer is more durable than varnish.

Also the shape you file them in has something to do with it, something I never suspected. A friend is an ex manicurist and showed me the correct way to shape and cut a nail which actually makes it stronger. I don't know why I got to 48 without ever learning this but it's all about the angle.

I also take supplements which helps enormously, and wear rubber gloves for everything.

This is likely my downfall. I do not wear gloves. I vacuum clean & my nails chip!

There are tricks to make the laquer stay on longer too, such as roughing up your base coat while its still sticky. It makes the surface rougher which makes the polish stick harder.

Lovely home manicures can be achieved without baking or stripping the heck out of your nails or having to resort to the semi-permanent.
thanks great points. I prefer natural nails if possible. What do you mean by ""roughing up"" base coat while tacky?

Old 10-21-2013, 05:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,406,741 times
If you go for the UV lights, please be sure to use sunscreen on your hands as a last step. The UV light can age your skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty