U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 PM

2,708 posts, read 3,794,633 times

Advertisements

I do this.

I use Gelish bought at Sallys. I have the Gelish LED 45 lamp. LED lights cure faster than then UV. I'm not staying under the light to cure one coat for 2 minutes. Takes way too long.

Gelish and Red Carpet Manicure from Ulta. RCM is the same as Gelish. Same colors everything just cheaper. The RCM colors go for $9.99 a piece while Gelish is $14.95 and $12.95 with the Sallys card.

I've bought the big size bottles of Gelish on eBay of what I use a lot (foundation, top it off, etc)

It's great to do yourself. Saves money and you can change them whenever.

I've recently gotten into acrygel. It's soak off gel with acrylic. Gives you the thickness of acrylic without the nail damage the techs do with all the drilling and stuff.

You do a base coat of soak off gel SOG. Then sprinkle acrylic powder on evenly, tap off the excess then cure under the light then add another coat of base and polish as normal. As many coats of acrylic as you want 1-3 min though and it comes off just like regular because gel is at the bottom in the base coat and on top of the acrylic. It just takes a bit longer. But buff off the shine, wrap in cotton and foil and wait and the polish and acrylic slides right off and your nails are fine. Or you can just do a fill in like the techs do.

I enjoy doing my own nails so it works for me. I currently have a acrygel french manicure done myself freehand and everything and you'd think it was professional and acrylic. Their hard like acrylic but soak off like gel because there's gel at the bottom and on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 08:43 PM

23,966 posts, read 31,191,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
If you go for the UV lights, please be sure to use sunscreen on your hands as a last step. The UV light can age your skin.
As much as our hands are out in the sun, the lights really are nothing to worry about.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,380,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
thanks great points. I prefer natural nails if possible. What do you mean by ""roughing up"" base coat while tacky?
I paint one hand with basecoat then the other, by the time I've done hand 2 hand 1 is tacky so I just dab them on a piece of cloth or something (even been known to use my pj pants ) just to take the shiny surface off.

Then let it dry properly, all rough, then put your lacquer on top.

It helps it stick and if you're using a good basecoat and lacquer it's strengthening too. Towards the end of the week you can just run the colour over the tips for whatever chips appear. Most of the coating and the gloss will still be intact.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:46 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,408,818 times
You should be putting sunscreen your hands every day, then, Chessie. Just like your face...you do use SPF on your face?

Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
You should be putting sunscreen your hands every day, then, Chessie. Just like your face...you do use SPF on your face?
When I am at the beach or hanging out at some outdoor event, yes. Otherwise no. Not really a concern for me.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I have also tried inexpensive drugstore kits & I could not get the gel off.

I feel like I can not win with real nails & cant win with gel either. I have since purchased the bluesky gel. Saw decent reviews on it, its a lot cheaper than Gellish etc. If this works I will purchase Gellish knock offs from China. Yup I'm frugile aint nobody got time to spend on nails when I can get the same look cheaper. I saw a seller who had sold 2000 knock off polishes & they had great reviews.
I just removed my Gellish manicure with acetone-soaked cotton placed on my nails for 15 minutes. Piece of cake.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:13 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,366,039 times
Thanks ladies

Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,408,818 times
Chessie -- Just walking to and from your car in the course of year is like spending a week at the beach when it comes to sun exposure.

I'm fifty and seriously wish I'd been using sunscreen on my hands and throat since my 20's. Just trying to save a few people from sunspots and wrinkles!

When you put on your face lotion, hopefully with a SPF of 15 or more, take a second to dab a little on the backs of your hands. You'll be glad you did when you're older!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:47 PM

11,441 posts, read 19,478,313 times
Quote:
Was this hard or soft gel? With gellish it looks very very easy to remove. I hope my soft gel thats on the way by post is equally soft & easy to remove. Will let you know. You need to find a very soft gel. A hard gel will accumulate & bond with your own nail so its a no no.When you take hard gel off, nails will be wrecked. In theory a soft gel can be taken off easier.
It would have been done professionally. I would guess hard gel? I can barely paint my nails at all -- my toenails are such a mess that I don't really care about what gets on the skin around the nail -- I can scrub that off the next day. I have NO coordination for painting. And the cats trying to help don't make that any better.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,366,039 times
UPDATE: I received my bluesky gel in the mail

PROS: Easy to apply
I ordered primer, base, color & top coat but I did not like the color I ordered so I had to substitute with regular nail polish & it worked well.
Left hand all is perfect, even added rhinestones & they are intact despite vacuum cleaning etc

CONS:
Right hand (am right handed) had two fingers chip & I removed soak off, all layers came off except base coat so I left previous base coat on & added regular nail polish, konad & Bluesky topcoat

Advice: Basecoat they say to cure it for half the time. Most videos also do not use Primer but I did so maybe thats why it was not easily reasonable. Could also be that everything else chipped after three days or so and base coat was not ready to chip.

So far its not so bad in that all the soft gels I bought before, the cheaper ones (not Shellac) were easy to apply but even in one hour could not be removed.

So far so good.

Will keep you posted. Online people can be so mean. I seen people post pics just to be told they have man hands, old hands etc so I will not be posting pics but IMO so far so good! I like the bluesky FOR NOW. I will give a final review after two more applications, that is 6 weeks or so

Hope this helps

In case this is confusing, I decided to go for a cheaper alternative than Shellac. Aint nobody got time for Shellac/Gellish prices.

That being said, I dont know if I would have been able to remove EVERYTHING including base had it been Gellish etc. But once the top layers were off I did not make any effort to remove base etc I just added regular polish & gel top polish to it

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty