U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:45 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,365,390 times

Advertisements

I like to have polished nails at all times yet I can no longer manage my natural nails without gel, they chip, break etc despite the fact that I have tried every nail strengthener. Plus I tire of refreshing nail polish every couple days.

I have had hard gel nails done professionally in the past. I enjoy doing my own nails. I have ventured into drug store ""soft"" gel & IMO it wasn't soft at all. I could barely get it off after soaking off with acetone.

I see all kinds of Shellac on Ebay. I was thinking of buying a base coat, nude color & top coat. I already have a UV lamp.

My other question would be advice on color selection. I need a nude color typically used for a french manicure as well as the white for a french. Those who are familiar with this brand, can you please tell me which colors to get to achieve this look?

Would this be a good idea? Anyone ever done Shellac on their own? I'm surprised its sold on Ebay now, when it first came out it was exclusively in salons & professional settings.

Any other ideas are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 06:45 AM

What is better Shellac or gellish or anything else even?

I have a UV lamp not LED

Old 10-21-2013, 12:55 AM

11,106 posts, read 6,611,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I have had hard gel nails done professionally in the past. I enjoy doing my own nails. I have ventured into drug store ""soft"" gel & IMO it wasn't soft at all. I could barely get it off after soaking off with acetone.
Soak cotton balls or cotton gauze in the acetone. Put the cotton over your nails and then wrap your fingertip (completely covering the nail) in foil. After they sit for 5-10 minutes remove the foil and cotton, and the gel should peel right off.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:57 AM

11,439 posts, read 19,473,376 times
I thought about having this done for my niece's wedding, so I did a little research. Gel removal -- the soaking in acetone is very hard on nails. Dries them out and causes a lot of problems. It's not the first time, nor the second -- it's accumulation of usage that wrecks your nails.

Then you have to cut your nails short and use something else.

When I did the Barielle cream, it took about a six weeks or so for my nails to get better -- the old wretched nails had to grow out and be cut off before the new growth was all the way out and acting better.

As I said before I have crappy nails -- and my nail shape means I can't have long fingernails anyway. I decided to keep up with the Barielle -- and a container is expensive, but you hardly use ANY so it lasts forever.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 AM

51,383 posts, read 50,647,478 times
My daughter asked for the shellac polishes and the lamp and kit for her birthday. She loves it.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:20 PM

324 posts, read 493,646 times
I would like the kit, but I dont think I could do a french mani on my self.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,750,084 times
the removal process can really damage your nails; I don't think there's anything inherently damaging about acetone, but it dries out the nail and combined with scraping and peeling the old gel polish off, damage is almost inevitable. At least that was my experience with at home gel kits. and it takes forever to get the polish off, not worth it.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
I would like the kit, but I dont think I could do a french mani on my self.
Get a konad kit or a less expensive version. You will get the perfect French and thank me later!

KONAD French Tip Tutorial - YouTube

Old 10-21-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
the removal process can really damage your nails; I don't think there's anything inherently damaging about acetone, but it dries out the nail and combined with scraping and peeling the old gel polish off, damage is almost inevitable. At least that was my experience with at home gel kits. and it takes forever to get the polish off, not worth it.
I have also tried inexpensive drugstore kits & I could not get the gel off.

I feel like I can not win with real nails & cant win with gel either. I have since purchased the bluesky gel. Saw decent reviews on it, its a lot cheaper than Gellish etc. If this works I will purchase Gellish knock offs from China. Yup I'm frugile aint nobody got time to spend on nails when I can get the same look cheaper. I saw a seller who had sold 2000 knock off polishes & they had great reviews.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:00 PM

324 posts, read 493,646 times
Have you tried this kit yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty