U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:08 PM
 
14,702 posts, read 18,795,053 times
Reputation: 20230

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
...a 38 year old mom of 2. I don't believe in "dressing my age". I wear whatever I want from short shorts and skirts to revealing sweaters.

I couldn't care less what others think about how I dress.

Do you care at all what your kids think? And how they may get teased by other kids for what their mother wears or (more aptly) doesnt wear?

 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:20 PM
 
706 posts, read 913,615 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Do you care at all what your kids think? And how they may get teased by other kids for what their mother wears or (more aptly) doesnt wear?
So far, the way I dress has not been an issue for my kids. It's not like I dress like a prostitute. I just don't dress as conservatively as some people seem to think I should. But I would not change how I dress even for my children.
 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village Colorado
324 posts, read 493,646 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
So far, the way I dress has not been an issue for my kids. It's not like I dress like a prostitute. I just don't dress as conservatively as some people seem to think I should. But I would not change how I dress even for my children.

I would change for my kids, they are my number on priority in life.
 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village Colorado
324 posts, read 493,646 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
yeah, the yoga pants, ugh. My biggest peeve is not being clean. People going out in public with dirty clothes, gross flip flops, kids in dirty clothes, diapers. I mean, yeah, if you're a construction worker who just ran into the store for a sandwich you can't help that, but the pajama pants looking like you just rolled out of bed, ugh.
flip flops are a pet peeve of mine but it's so common I just try and ignore it. the pajama pants, I see that mostly with teen girls, I guess it's ok, any older than that then it's ridiculous.
 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:41 PM
 
Location: South Minneapolis
4,533 posts, read 5,065,693 times
Reputation: 6511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
So far, the way I dress has not been an issue for my kids. It's not like I dress like a prostitute. I just don't dress as conservatively as some people seem to think I should. But I would not change how I dress even for my children.
Wow. This may be the most self-centered comment I've ever seen. Not many women will place dressing like a sl ut above their own children. It's kind of counter instinctive. Still, I'll give you this: at least you are honest.
 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village Colorado
324 posts, read 493,646 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I'm pretty sure some of the other moms judge me when I drop off or pick up my kids from school. I pretty much break all of the supposed fashion rules set by society for a 38 year old mom of 2. I don't believe in "dressing my age". I wear whatever I want from short shorts and skirts to revealing sweaters.

I couldn't care less what others think about how I dress. I work out everyday, eat clean and have a nice figure. I refuse to cover up to appease society's ideas of what I should and should not wear.q

Middle aged Mother desperately clinging on to youth. Dressing cheaply is not making you looking younger, it's making you look like you dress cheap.
 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:49 PM
 
706 posts, read 913,615 times
Reputation: 1466
I don't see it that way. Of course I love my children, but I don't live my entire life for them. I dressed fun and sexy before I became a mom and see no reason why I should change that. I don't wear see through clothing or anything that shows things that should not be seen in public...LOL. I'm appropriate in terms of covering up...I just don't abide by the more conventional rules for middle aged women.

But compared to how some of the other moms dress....I think they would consider my attire to be on the trendy and more "fun" side vs.conservative and frumpy.Besides, my kids have told me that they are proud that I don't look like some of the other moms. Evidently it's not an issue for them.
 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:52 PM
 
706 posts, read 913,615 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
Middle aged Mother desperately clinging on to youth. Dressing cheaply is not making you looking younger, it's making you look like you dress cheap.
I most certainly do not dress cheap. And my youthful look has less to do with my clothing and more to do with how I take care of my body, skin and hair.

I just rebel against the thinking that a woman above a certain age needs to stop dressing how she wants because she is getting older.

But thanks anyway for the tip!
 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village Colorado
324 posts, read 493,646 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I don't see it that way. Of course I love my children, but I don't live my entire life for them. I dressed fun and sexy before I became a mom and see no reason why I should change that. I don't wear see through clothing or anything that shows things that should not be seen in public...LOL. I'm appropriate in terms of covering up...I just don't abide by the more conventional rules for middle aged women.

But compared to how some of the other moms dress....I think they would consider my attire to be on the trendy and more "fun" side vs.conservative and frumpy.Besides, my kids have told me that they are proud that I don't look like some of the other moms. Evidently it's not an issue for them.

Makes sense. I know what part of Colorado you live in now.
 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:55 PM
 
14,702 posts, read 18,795,053 times
Reputation: 20230
It's ok to dress "fun and sexy" at times -- but wearing "short shorts and skirts to revealing sweaters" when you accompany your kids to school is, in my opinion, inappropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top